• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 gen 2 5r action screw issue

bmf813

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2018
Bought a gen 2 5r to add to my collection the other day because Remington is on the fritz at the moment, and I needed another 700 to add to the collection. Regardless, I get it home, clean it up, look it over and the minute I tried dropping it into my xlr chassis I noticed the rear action screw is nowhere near where it needs to be. You can force the screw in, but in turn, doesn't allow the magazine to be pushed into the magwell. I'm not sure why the action screws would be purposely spaced different on this short action stainless action, but it limits me to the stock it came in (hs precision). Has anyone had this problem? Is it possible it's THAT far out of tolerance? Measured 35 thou difference between my aac-sd short action 308. Any help or input is always appreciated. bonus pictures of the tooling marks and gouge near the crown.

Attachments

• 20200730_211248.jpg
    20200730_211248.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20200730-211420_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200730-211420_Gallery.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 102
This is the first I read of such mess ups. Besides the MSR rifle that is a totally different case.... All 700's had the same specs. And if this is a mess up for real then I can see why they are filing for bankruptcy. I almost feel as if the present products are being made in the Kyber Pass HAHA!

I would not force anything. Does the stock look modified? To correct for the mess if a mess up if that is the case?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6brshooter
This is the first I read of such mess ups. Besides the MSR rifle that is a totally different case.... All 700's had the same specs. And if this is a mess up for real then I can see why they are filing for bankruptcy. I almost feel as if the present products are being made in the Kyber Pass HAHA!

I would not force anything. Does the stock look modified? To correct for the mess if a mess up is the case?

No, the factory stock looks fine. It baffles me. I called xlr too because they see and answer tons of questions. The first thing he thought of was if i had the action trued, it could push the action screws ahead depending on how much material was taken off. Not the case though, brand new rifle. My buddy here in ilion ny says the tolerance for the 700 actions is +/-.20 thou. So it should have been a reject im guessing.

The bolt spread should be about 6.50" center to center. And from the front bolt to the back of the lug it should be 1.04". With a total overall length of 8" from rear tang to the action face.

I’m trying to figure out how truing an action could move the action holes. Those holes aren’t touched as far as I knew. The hole for the barrel is and the scope bases if you wanna get larger base screws but I didn’t know those were too. If the hs precision stock isn’t modified and it fits try another and I bet it’ll fit too. Do other r700 actions work in your xlr chassis? You did remove the mag box that comes on the rifle before trying to drop it in the xlr chassis didn’t you? Add pics of the bottom of the action you are trying to drop in and the bedding block area of the chassis. The other pics don’t really help.

Reactions: 308pirate
I’d just sell that damn thing for whatever I could get. Let me know if you wanna sell it I like fixing stuff 👍

35 thou .0035. Human hair .003. +/- .2 thou. Could be off by .0001.

So you noticed the hole was way out of place by thickness of a human hair. Not a pubic hair either, that is pushing closer to .005-.006 area. How about a picture of both actions sitting beside each other, or something of substance. Your measurements don't add up. I am sure HS did not one off them a stock to fit an out of tolerance action. I am not sure what is going on but I bet some pictures of what you are talking about, rather than pictures of the muzzle threading would be helpful.

Reactions: jcmullis2

So you noticed the hole was way out of place by thickness of a human hair. Not a pubic hair either, that is pushing closer to .005-.006 area. How about a picture of both actions sitting beside each other, or something of substance. Your measurements don't add up. I am sure HS did not one off them a stock to fit an out of tolerance action. I am not sure what is going on but I bet some pictures of what you are talking about, rather than pictures of the muzzle threading would be helpful.
My money is on that he left the mag box on when he put it in the chassis.

35 thou is 0.035", 10X the thickness of a human hair or piece of paper.

35 thou x 2 is more than 1/16", so if the action screw holes in the XLR chassis are only oversized by 1/16", the clearance is gone.

The action screw hole locations being off is one of the reasons we bed actions. They can be significantly off on both ends, both axis, and in their clocking. In most cases, there is enough clearance in the stock holes. It's noticed more often if you make yourself a couple large diameter action screws for bedding.

I’m trying to figure out how truing an action could move the action holes. Those holes aren’t touched as far as I knew. The hole for the barrel is and the scope bases if you wanna get larger base screws but I didn’t know those were too. If the hs precision stock isn’t modified and it fits try another and I bet it’ll fit too. Do other r700 actions work in your xlr chassis? You did remove the mag box that comes on the rifle before trying to drop it in the xlr chassis didn’t you? Add pics of the bottom of the action you are trying to drop in and the bedding block area of the chassis. The other pics don’t really help.

Possible if the face of the action has too much cut out of it. But for a factory rifle that would be odd. I agree to see pics and actual measurements of what I posted above.

35 thou is 0.035", 10X the thickness of a human hair or piece of paper.

35 thou x 2 is more than 1/16", so if the action screw holes in the XLR chassis are only oversized by 1/16", the clearance is gone.

The action screw hole locations being off is one of the reasons we bed actions. They can be significantly off on both ends, both axis, and in their clocking. In most cases, there is enough clearance in the stock holes. It's noticed more often if you make yourself a couple large diameter action screws for bedding.

I grabbed a pillar and the hole in the middle is .313 and action screw is .247= .056 side clearance allow .028 off center. That means with one hole centered, one would be off the pillar by .007. That would leave .021 for the centered action screw to move to allow both action screws to be started.

I was going to grab some measurements off a couple actions but my calipers are too small to measure the action screw spacing.

I have never seen an action that wont fit because the action screw holes were off. What does bedding do for the action screws being off?

I wonder if the OP will ever return.

The two McRee chassis I own are .260" for the chassis opening. And the bolt measurement is .248". So a difference of .012".

This has not been a problem on any of my SA 700's.

Last edited:
5/16" is a pretty standard hole size for action screws, but your pillar isn't the OPs XLR chassis. The 35 thou is also only the first dimension that was off. I have one R700 action with the rear hole off to the side enough to need the pillar opened up. I don't have any that didn't need bedding.

Guys make a big deal out of chassis or aluminum bedding blocks not needing bedding. How can a round tube not fit in a V block? And yet when we shoot some of them, we see from the wear marks the action is high centered on 2 corners and the the recoil lug either isn't hitting or is bearing unevenly. Its the location of the action screw holes that's causing the problem.

It's also one of many reasons barrels don't have an even gap in the stock.

I bought a Gen 1 5R on clearance a couple years ago. I have a lathe and fit barrels, but bought the threaded barrel version because it was only $25 more. I will never have Remington cut my barrel threads again. Absolute junk. The gun didn't have any primary extraction and the rest of the bolt timing features were the worst I've felt. The barrel hit on one side of the stock, After firing, the bedding showed the action wasn't bearing in the bedding block evenly.

I can't tell what the OP's problem is without some pictures, but I can confidently say some of you guys need to take math 101 before you touch a keyboard again, lol.

Reactions: Harman117
5/16" is a pretty standard hole size for action screws, but your pillar isn't the OPs XLR chassis. The 35 thou is also only the first dimension that was off. I have one R700 action with the rear hole off to the side enough to need the pillar opened up. I don't have any that didn't need bedding.

Guys make a big deal out of chassis or aluminum bedding blocks not needing bedding. How can a round tube not fit in a V block? And yet when we shoot some of them, we see from the wear marks the action is high centered on 2 corners and the the recoil lug either isn't hitting or is bearing unevenly. Its the location of the action screw holes that's causing the problem.

It's also one of many reasons barrels don't have an even gap in the stock.

I bought a Gen 1 5R on clearance a couple years ago. I have a lathe and fit barrels, but bought the threaded barrel version because it was only $25 more. I will never have Remington cut my barrel threads again. Absolute junk. The gun didn't have any primary extraction and the rest of the bolt timing features were the worst I've felt. The barrel hit on one side of the stock, After firing, the bedding showed the action wasn't bearing in the bedding block evenly.

I guess this is the reason why Remington is filing for bankruptcy haha. I just happened to have taken off three chassis systems from mcree, and swapped them with different Mcree models. In doing that i looked over the systems. And boy were they inline with the old chassis systems. No off center or uneven patterns left behind in the form of marks that shows uneven seating. The rifles where bought between 2009 and 2014. The stories I'm now reading about Remington do not sound too good, and they are popping up more often. Either way sucks to have a out of spec action for sure, and the work that has to go in to getting them fixed if Remington will not fix them.

Looks like JCMUllis2 nailed it. Here is a cut from the OP's msg: You can force the screw in, but in turn, doesn't allow the magazine to be pushed into the magwell. This will result in the action being at a tilt, changing the relationship between the bolt holes in the action and the holes in the chassis, making them appear to be a different distance apart.

Frank

Sorry i left this post hanging with no details and i appreciate everyones input very much. Here are a couple pics, and yes, im not an idiot i took the metal mag box out lol. Also, truing the front of the action too much would move the bolt holes further ahead on a stock or chassis after the recoil lug is put in place, since that is where every bolt guns stopping point is and where measurements are based from. I couldn't get a great picture showing the rear action screw hole is in relation to the chassis. What i can tell you is my sps tactical was in this chassis and bolted in fine. Ive put this gen 2 5r in the factory sps stock and had troubles fitting in there as well. I sold the original hs precision stock and ended up chucking a drill but and slightly making the rear action screw hole on the xlr chassis larger to accommodate the issue I've got here.

Attachments

• 20201215_233733.jpg
    20201215_233733.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20201215_233626.jpg
    20201215_233626.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 44
Heres a couple more pics of each rifle inside the chassis viewing through magwell. The little tab in the back is whats stopping the magazine from being inserted on the 5r. I believe that little tab is used for adl models.

Attachments

• 20201216_000240.jpg
    20201216_000240.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20201216_000043.jpg
    20201216_000043.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 38
I could be wrong, but isn't that box upside down? Won't the notch fit over the tab? I'm not familiar with the chassis.

In my reply i was saying how no, the metal box wasnt in there, and i took a drill to the rear action screw hole. I mean you can see the screw still hits it just slightly on the way in, but i really dont think at this point its affecting accuracy. I wanted to shoot it in the chassis before i debated whether to send it back for the crown issue. Getting half moa with it, which is what my 308 rem700 shoots with handloads so i guess im done dicking with it for now. Still kinda bummed i cant get an accurate mag in it without grinding the rear of the mag but it's the price im paying for typical remington qc.

Sounds like your rifle was made after Remington informed their employees that they lost their insurance and retirement and Remington was belly up. They worked hard to mess your action and barrel up.
You can try to get someone at Remington to fix it but good luck with that. The fix isn’t that hard if you have a welder, mill and lathe. There’s a few real gunsmiths still in business but they aren’t cheap.
You obviously didn’t inspect the rifle before buying. You might not could have discovered the action screw in the store, but the muzzle was easy to see. I’m sure the action didn’t sit in the stock right so you should have seen it too. Live and learn, just inspect next time and don’t be afraid to tell the salesperson, no thanks or get another one this one is shit. Going forward The easiest thing to do is sell that pos. Shine it up, price it right, include targets with your sub .5 moa groups and see what happens. ‘‘Tis the season, Ho Ho Ho and all that good stuff.🎅🏻