• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 Magpul enhanced or r700 barreled action

R700 84301 or r700 police

• Total voters

Sffred

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2017
Hello my fellow enthusiasts,

With Black Friday around the corner, I’m going to be in the market for a Remington 700 in 308. (I know there are better calibers, but I don’t want keep adding different Ammo to my inventory) primarily for range use 100-1000 yards, and maybe some competitions (maybe). I own too many 308 semi’s already (4 gen1 N6’s, SCAR 17, imbel FAL, etc...).

From what I’ve seen online I see that the r700 Magpul enhanced (84301) comes with a Magpul stock plus bottom metal and 10rdmag, 20moa top rail, mlok bipod (don’t know if the bipod is a Harris), 20” carbon steel 5r fluted 1:10 barrel (threaded), and x-pro trigger (3.5# lowest)

To me seems like a good offering for about less than 1k (without tax, DROS, or transfer)

But since I’m not reloading yet and my only match Ammo are FGMM 168, 175, and a couple hornady 150? But have a lot of DAG, South African battle packs, M80 ball variants, and some of those plastic 7.62x51 trainers.

I under stand the 1:10 twist the r700 Magpul enhanced will group crap out of my milsurp stuff (prolly like 5moa @ 100yrds) but reading online seems like even my FGMM 168 will barely hit a 2MOA. And if I’m lucky my 175’s will touch 1MOA. From what I’m reading if I had a 24/26” barrel at 1:10 twist it would stabilize the lower weight of the projectile better.

All in all in the end I’d like to have at least a decent 1-2MOA milsurp shooter, that I can have fun in the range but it seems like it would be a expensive project that would take long. Plus to hit sub MOA with the Ammo I already have available.

My other option is to get a R700 police 24” 1:11.2 barreled action and build it basically the same way with a Magpul stock, bottom metal and mag, Harris bipod plus mlok Mount) and a 20 MOA rail. But I really want a 20”.

I understand R700 barrels are called (Remington roulette) because it can be hit or miss. I just wanna know if I can get by with the Magpul enhanced and shoot by Christmas season at sac valley (1000yrd Range) and still be happy without thinking spend 1 year waiting on a build.

Oh FYI I have a brand new scope that’s sitting too. Most likely/hopefully good enough for what I’m seeking. PST g2 3-15x44 EBR-7C, just don’t have rings yet till I get a rifle. (I have a 4.5-27x56 H59 but it’s staying on one of my N6’s)

Oh and my buddy is planning on getting that Europtic M24 pre order, but I don’t wanna spend 3k on it. Once I get comfortable and good at bolt action I’ll build a 6mm creedmoor or a 6mm dasher.

Waiting to hear your opinions and sorry for pro longing this post.
Fred

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 31
I've been a Remington 700 guy since the day I turned in my M21 and signed out a brand new M24. I currently own three R700's. That said, there is no way I would have fun on the range with a rifle that shoots 1-2 MOA. I recommend you look at something else. I just bought a Tikka CTR and on my first trip to the range, with factory match ammo, I was able to put 5-rounds in a 1/2 MOA group pretty easily. There are a lot of rifles out there that will shoot better than the Remington 700's. Others will certainly have more recommendations.

Bob

Reactions: Sffred

Last edited:
The R700 Police is a great way to start. I shot one for many years as I learned and figured out what discipline I wanted to play in. It was a 1/2moa gun with good factory match ammo. I still have a handful of 700's, some factory and a few tuned. Either way make your decision and just enjoy shooting. Thats my 2 cents.

Since I didn’t get a lot of hits on this thread I went ahead and got a tikka t3x CTR. It’s a 20” 1:11 twist. Action seems buttery, I also checked out a Ruger American but the action wasn’t as smooth.

Only downfall on the tikka was the bolt knob is plastic that I’ve noticed so far. I’m hoping I will like it. Action was very tight but very smooth. No matter what if it doesn’t work for me I have to take a lil’ loss.

Reactions: chrismartin
Of the options you provide, I would go with the Magpul 700. However...

I've lost the Remington Roulette a couple times now, hence their name is soured in my mind. For something in a similar price range, the Howa Oryx or Savage 10 BA Stealth are great options with better reputations for quality as of late.

Since I didn’t get a lot of hits on this thread I went ahead and got a tikka t3x CTR. It’s a 20” 1:11 twist. Action seems buttery, I also checked out a Ruger American but the action wasn’t as smooth.

Only downfall on the tikka was the bolt knob is plastic that I’ve noticed so far. I’m hoping I will like it. Action was very tight but very smooth. No matter what if it doesn’t work for me I have to take a lil’ loss.

I think you will be very happy with it.

Bob