• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 varmint SF barrel threaded for brake

Ibex24

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2022
Upstate NY
Looking to have the barrel threaded on a Remington 700 Varmint SF chambered in 308 to accommodate a muzzle brake (PVA Jetblast or similar). There seems to be differing information regarding accuracy gain/loss after adding a brake, which seems to relate to barrel and brake combos, and obviously competency of the gunsmith used.

This is the 26" stainless fluted factory barrel (Sendero countour?) and accuracy has been 0.5 - 0.75 MOA with Federal GMMK ammo. It would be greatly preferred not to compromise this accuracy when adding a brake, but some info says its inevitable.

Can anyone with this particular barrel who's had it threaded and added a brake comment on their experience with accuracy after the fact?

accuracy shouldn't change

just a POI shift due to adding weight is most likely.

but you 'may' need a different load

but it'll be more pleasant to shoot and easier to spot impacts/misses

for the cost or threading...it might make more sense to leave that barrel as is and get a remage in whatever contour you prefer thats already threaded

accuracy shouldn't change

just a POI shift due to adding weight is most likely.

but you 'may' need a different load

but it'll be more pleasant to shoot and easier to spot impacts/misses

for the cost or threading...it might make more sense to leave that barrel as is and get a remage in whatever contour you prefer thats already threaded

Easier to spot my own shots is essentially my entire desire for this.

Sure, POI shift I figured is expected. But when you say, "'may' need to find a different load"... I don't reload (maybe down the road, but currently no) so my options are limited. You're saying there's a chance that the factory Federal match loads currently used would lose some accuracy?

I guess thats where I'm confused because I've seen this said, but need it spelled out for me hah

Last edited:
think of it like how most people think a tuner works. more weight out front changes how the barrel moves/reacts

it may shoot better. it may shoot worse. if you took 5 5 shot groups back to back with and without the brake the aggregate is likely not going to change much at the end of the day

but likely just on recoil alone you'll shoot the gun better

Reactions: RTH1800
think of it like how most people think a tuner works. more weight out front changes how the barrel moves/reacts

it may shoot better. it may shoot worse. if you took 5 5 shot groups back to back with and without the brake the aggregate is likely not going to change much at the end of the day

but likely just on recoil alone you'll shoot the gun better
This makes sense.

I've looked into remage barrels but every option I've seen is considerably more expensive than having the current factory barrel threaded. I was quoted $125 to have it threaded by a shop that specializes in competition barrels. After that it's just the cost of a brake.

As it's currently configured, I've had the rifle to 1000yds so it's my paranoia that's holding me back from getting it threaded at this point.

my thought on remage is you can go heavier on the contour versus the relatively tiny sendero or whatever it is and keep the lighter stock barrel for hunting if so desired

$400 for a new barrel versus $125 for just threading

velocity and accuracy shouldn't change. but it's a stock remington barrel so who knows how it reacts to threading

Reactions: Ibex24
I threaded two of mine, a 300 RUM Sendero SF, and my 22-250 VSSF. I did it to put a suppressor on them, and had no accuracy change. I did put a Hellfire brake on the 300, and it shot the same, but damn it’s loud.

Reactions: Ibex24
Threading shouldn’t make a difference in the accuracy, but I would look at a remage if you can swing it. Better barrel, longer or shorter and in the contouring of your choice.

Just choose a good Smith to do the threading.

I had a great shooting Criterion 6-BR barrel threaded last year after about 200 rounds through it.
The only change to it was hanging the supressor on the end caused me to dial up another .6mils to re-zero it.

Don't be Skeered