• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RA308 vs SASS

silasvirus82

silasvirus82
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Pasadena, MD
Really can't get decide between these two fine rifles, anybody that has had their hands on either chime in and let me know what you think. FYI I would order the RA308 with a 20" barrel and better furniture. Purpose is mobile long distance between 100-800 yards, plus potentially 3-gun heavy metal. The RA definitely wins for 3-gun just due to weight, but that is not something I'm really taking into consideration. I want accuracy, quality, and durability.

I had a rock river lar-8 and it was a good rifle accurate and reliable . If you have fal mags it would be the smart choice . The sass I would guess your refering to the dpms . I know alot of people say the suck but I see alot of people at the range banging away with them in ignorant bliss about internet lore and alot seem to be pretty accurate . pick your poison and be happy .

Actually referring to the Armalite SASS and the Rainier RA308. I think the RA308 is a better overall rifle, which is a good thing, but the SASS is probably better suited for my purpose in mind. What I don't know is which rifle would better in the long term as far as durability, also I'd like to know if the RA308 with the 20" barrel would be a suitable long range setup. I've read all the threads concerning billet vs forged which is a difference between the two, but I think based on weight the Armalite is probably built a little more solid. In my mind forged is probably stronger to start with pound for pound anyway, but that Rainier sure is nice to look at. I don't think I'd be giving up anything in terms of accuracy with the RA308, might even be better, that's what I really need to know...

If you're going with the Armalite SASS get the Gen 2 that can take the Pmag and SR25 mags. Rainier RA308 Looks Cool but I have not seen/read a lot of review nor accuracy results on it. I know the SASS will shoot, many owns it and many likes it.