• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    Any tips on slaughtering them at night? They’ve eat about 100 yds x 6 rows of sweet corn

I tried a raccoon fight sound and actually had one come to the call

Is the corn close enough to your house that you can just scan out there every little bit? Or set up one to remote view inside? That's how I keep an eye on the garden sometimes...

Reactions: deersniper
    I have a .22 bolt gun that is suppressed that is really quiet.....I have not used it for raccoons.....but when I see them via my Moultrie Mobile cameras trying to pry the varmint doors off the feeders I think about it. Just wonder if one were to use a thermal on a suppressed .22 if it will allow more shot opportunities before they bug out (???) Also, they are usually out when we are sitting and waiting on the hogs and notice they usually head up the closest tree when the shooting starts. So if woods are around you can probably pick them off that way too.....so long as you are in an area you can safely shoot upwards.

It is far from the house. Big patch with later plantings on one side so hard to see them coming

Reactions: BamaSE
    In one recent case, I had coons getting in the barn at night going after guineas in the rafters. At first I assumed it was one coon. But three nights in a row I was out there when one coon was in the barn and got that one coon each night ... so it was three. After I got those three, I haven't seen one in a month. In the warm half of the year, with vegetation ... I use carbine and laser with head mounted dual band setup. In the cool half of the year I use bolt gun on tripod on overwatch with thermal clipon.

So I think you can "thin them out" temporarily ... from a particular enticement ... of course if the enticement remains ... others will backfill pretty quickly. I started closing the barn door each night, that removed the enticement. But I still patrol around the 5 acre human area (7 buildings) 1-3 times each night ... and I have not seen any perpetrators in the AO in a month, though I do hear distant yotes on occasion and I've seen yotes far out in the pasture, but not near the chickens or guineas.

The electric fence is a good idea. Keeps them completely out of my fruit trees. Using a solar/battery powered portable setup that I move around depending on what is fruiting.

Reactions: RTH1800
    I've dispatched a few critters with a 22 cal air rifle. It would depend on how close you can get to them. Good luck!

When taking out pests in areas with dogs around, I usually use these type of traps. Cheap, yet very effective.
    Otherwise, I use conibear traps or sit there and pick them off with some type of weapon.
    That amount of damage sounds like some deer or bear are having a party with the raccoons and should be eradicated for not social distancing.

We have a 6 wire HOT electric fence around ours. Pain in the ass to set up but works. 3 wires did not work, they got through.

At the farm house, only used seasonally, I have an old screen door on the front porch that has easy to change screen panels that I slip in and out as needed.
    I put out a pan of cat food by the tree about 5 meters out, grab the Marlin 39A , move my easy chair up to the right position and turn on the porch light, grab a few coolie loolies in a cooler and sit down to watch TV.

By the time the 22:00 News comes I will usually have taken 2-3 shots, and I don't miss. Drag carcasses to the side as needed and wait for more.

I know,"Hunting over bait." but have Zero Fucks to give on that. I also have sweet corn.
    You can close up .22 holes with mono-filament line in screen real easy.

1236891.jpeg

As long as there is some supply of food, water, and shelter, there will be critters of some sort.

Fencing may help some but aren't much of a deterrent to them,. It will only keep some less ambitious climbers out.

Solar powered yard lights with red adhesive vinyl over the globe placed around bait should help. They will become desensitized to the light and focus on the food after a week or so, then the murdering starts. If you can't find the red sticker stuff to cover the globe try a couple red balloons pulled up over the stake piece to allow the solar cell to remain clear.
    A 22lr works fine for most night time bandits and sometimes has the added benefit of the creature dying somewhere else and making the clean up easy before going to bed.

You’re not kidding. I stirred up a whole can of wet cat food with Fly Bait and placed it on a paper plate inside a live trap. I caught a zombie raccoon that ate all of it including the plate and still needed a 9mm to kill it. I heard all these stories about raccoons dying with their nose still in the Golden Maldrin but I haven’t seen the killing power.

Yeah my sweet corn flies used to die within 10 feet of the fly bait. Now I can’t even find the bodies.

All the terrorism crime and other problems going on and .gov is worried about people killing sweet corn flies. There was a big story about some agency with their panties in a knot over this a year or more back on another forum

Sounds like you NEED to outfit yourself with a .22 night capable rifle and suppressor... Its no longer a want... Just do it.

Savage FVSR, Boyds stock, Badger EFR, PVS-30, can of your choice, illuminator. Consider CCI 0074 if you can find it. Segmented HP subsonic. Works well on ground hogs.

Sounds like you NEED to outfit yourself with a .22 night capable rifle and suppressor... Its no longer a want... Just do it.

Savage FVSR, Boyds stock, Badger EFR, PVS-30, can of your choice, illuminator. Consider CCI 0074 if you can find it. Segmented HP subsonic. Works well on ground hogs.
    I think I have some stuff that will work. Il probably use 223 though.

I wish they would come to calls. I don’t have all the time in the world to sit and wait for them

Any tips on slaughtering them at night? They’ve eat about 100 yds x 6 rows of sweet corn
    Well depends on how you want to approach it. Staying out there on a regular basis to thin them down is time consuming. If you want to get rid of all of them just keep some of these dog proof coon traps out. Fill the barrel of trap with cat food and sprinkle some of the fish oil around on the ground.

You keep a few of these out on a regular basis and you will get them all.

https://www.flemingoutdoors.com/fleming-dog-proof-raccoon-trap-brown.html

https://www.flemingoutdoors.com/fish-oil--1-pin.html

Then besides plenty of sweet corn you will be able to have plenty of "Cold Coon and Collard Greens" :LOL:

Be careful with the poison; you can accidentally kill the non-target, or if something comes along and eats the coon it itself can get poisoned...

Get you a havahart trap or two, Bag of marshmallows, and some imitation vanilla extract. Dab the extract on a marshmallow and throw a few in the trap. They love that stuff

Be careful with the poison; you can accidentally kill the non-target, or if something comes along and eats the coon it itself can get poisoned...

Get you a havahart trap or two, Bag of marshmallows, and some imitation vanilla extract. Dab the extract on a marshmallow and throw a few in the trap. They love that stuff

No poison used in my method. Hecque, the old Coon will still be alive a few days later, but boy o boy, he aint in a good mood at all. That paw be a hurtin.

Yeah, if anyone ever wants to test their toughness, go in on a live wounded Coon. I'd rather do 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. :LOL:

Well depends on how you want to approach it. Staying out there on a regular basis to thin them down is time consuming. If you want to get rid of all of them just keep some of these dog proof coon traps out. Fill the barrel of trap with cat food and sprinkle some of the fish oil around on the ground.

You keep a few of these out on a regular basis and you will get them all.

https://www.flemingoutdoors.com/fleming-dog-proof-raccoon-trap-brown.html

https://www.flemingoutdoors.com/fish-oil--1-pin.html

Then besides plenty of sweet corn you will be able to have plenty of "Cold Coon and Collard Greens" :LOL:
    I've gotten 25 raccoons with dog proofs in less than 2 months. I use Z traps push/ pull model. They are my favorite. For bait I use cat food and 3 little marshmallows per trap
    Marshmallows are a coons kryptonite.

My coons are much more intelligent that lol they won’t go in those traps. I’ve had them flip the traps over to get sardines out before

I haven't tried marshmellows yet, but will.
    Our fence is HOT enough that only retarded ones give it a second goround.
    39A is good every time. None have gotten away yet,
    A hand full of cat food will do 3 traps for me I put roughly 10 pieces (guessing)in the trap and 10-15 outside the trap. 3 marshmallows in the trap and 3 outside.

Also @deersniper if you are ordering traps get them white. That's the cats ass. I've wrecked three brown ones with the lawn mower along the wood line. My color blind ass can see the white ones. 👍

I use the dog proof traps, shove 1 marshmallow to the bottom so they have to dig for it . If that doesn’t work or they start getting smart I pore liquid smoke on the marshmallow. They can’t resist the liquid smoke Gets even the tough Old boars.

... if anyone ever wants to test their toughness, go in on a live wounded Coon. I'd rather do 12 rounds with Mike Tyson ...

The first one I got (of the 3) was "hiding" in a storage bin, didn't move when I came in the barn, probably thought I couldn't see him ... I went right up and delivered a head shot. I didn't even think about it, but backed off instinctively ... he came barreling out growling ... a second later went belly up and did the curly shuffle ... but his last conscious act was letting me know he was not pleased with my behavior !

We've had electric fence around the chicken coop for 4 years ... the only critters that ever defeated it were a pair of roamin' dogs. I had to use "other means" to discourage them from further depredations. The fence has been strengthened. The dogs actually jumped on up on the fence and knocked it down. Well knocked it far enough over that they decided they could cross it. They had to take some shock to get there. I think they were used to breaking out/in of enclosures. No yote has ever done that ... I've seen yotes and deer go right up to the fence and touch it with their nose and back off and go find something else to do. But those dogs crashed it in ... assault troops !!

Never knew about the marshmallow thing about raccoons

Have a heart trap, baited with corn. Dispatch at your leisure. No need to wait up all night for them.

Sardines probably work better, but you won’t get the ones stealing your corn. If they were stealing sardines, however...

My coons are much more intelligent that lol they won’t go in those traps. I’ve had them flip the traps over to get sardines out before

It’s possible your coons are smart. It’s more likely that the trap is not set in a stable position. If the critter feels it rock back and forth they get suspicious and back out at times.

Try shimming it until nothing moves.

Years ago when we raised hogs outside those fuckers would grab baby pigs and eats the belly out for the warm milk and leave it to die. Our solution was to build a pen and throw a ton of roundup soaked bread in there. The little bastards would eat it and die within a few minutes.
    So the bread. Soaking wet or soaked them dried out?

Dog proof traps. Cat food and a little tuna juice from your tuna fish cans works amazing. Why stay up all night wondering if one will come when the trap will do all the work. For by catch I’ve got possum and one cat. Cat was released unharmed for anyone that cares.

They can’t flip a dog proof trap and get the bait.

B5A32162-1BB1-463A-A7EE-8AAC60D8759B.jpeg

I found this stinky bastard in my barn eating my chicken eggs. I grabbed the Henry 22 and plugged it but it ran about 10’ and died back in the corner. That smell inside a humid barn is not awesome.