• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rail mount digital compass???

AC Power

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
Darlington, SC
Ever seen such? Application would be quick reference bearings for target ID (match teammate and RO). Google search turns up nothing of value.

Hard and soft iron distortions can be calibrated out but it is a giant pain in the ass.

I built my own but did it with a ring mount to gain a few inches away from the barrel, nut and carrier.

The other fun aspects are; you have to compensate for tilt as well, the most widely available code for common 9 DOF sensors (Kris Winer's) has some serious flaws which give incorrect output. The forums and info for these sensors and their use is primarily in the Arduino community and like most open source stuff erratic on being helpful or fully in context. AHRS sensors are the area of discussion you would want to be looking into.

This all being said I found myself using it less and less each match as I got used to the lay of the land and everything wasn't just "by that tree" or "by that rock" for me. Another snag was the particular match and club didn't allow sight picture except from the make ready before you shot, so gathering headings before hand to plan went out the window with a weapon mounted compass.

I ended up going to marine style binoculars with built in compass for gathering info for my stage cards. I still jot the heading down but I usually rely on arrows drawn on my card as to where to look from the firing point and from target to target ( <----------big transition to the left etc.).

In a way this all ties into Frank's discussion on levels (my device also displays tilt and slope), these acted as training wheels for me.

IMO the future will be something like a LRF that also gathers heading and sends it to an ATAK type system with an AR (augmented reality) type HUD. All of these systems exist but haven't been tied together in the public sector.

An example of a DIY Arduino HUD:

free phone app , works wonderful also could get the balistic calculator and a clinometer , and an app to link your laser rangefinder and wind meter , along with the find beer now app and get me a hooker app all in one lol happy ,fed, itchie , but at least you would know which way was up and in what direction you were walking . + you could with babble scream for help in over 20 languages ..

That close to a rifle can throw a compass off to the point it’s unusable. For team shooting applications, the best thing to do is practice big to small talk-ons, breaking a range down, working by eye first then going to glass. Use clock directions and distinguishing landscape features. Takes practice but that’s how the best teams win team matches.

Instead of a compass, consider changing your reference and communication style. Perhaps immediately establish one or more TRPs within your area/fan of responsibility and work off of those.

Teams that are used to working together can be F'ing fast with this method.

./

Instead of a compass, consider changing your reference and communication style. Perhaps immediately establish one or more TRPs within your area/fan of responsibility and work off of those.

Teams that are used to working together can be F'ing fast with this method.

./

How goes the recovery down there?

Figured there was a reason I couldn’t find anything on the market. Been shooting field/blind stage matches lately. Lost several points recently for hits on a target the RO was NOT looking at!

Reactions: FishDr
How goes the recovery down there?
My area is doing well overall. Utilities restored and everything pretty much back to normal. With thousands of houses, some totalled, heavily damaged to my west and southwest contractors, labor and construction materials are in very short supply. Here we are 2 months after the 1st storm hit and I am still a couple of weeks out from actually having repairs started.

Nobody here hurt or killed so we aren't going to complain.

First world problems..

Thanks and have a safe week.
T.

./

Saw a post from @wigwamitus

My digital device which display inclination in both degrees and cosine ... also shows cant in degrees and shows heading in degrees. Usable day or night.

Heading
Pitch
Roll

HPR100
:D

xmrvGcE.jpg