• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rail or no rail?

flyracing117

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Stag arms Model 2HT

or
Stag model 2H

Not sure if I would ever really put a rail to its full use. Most i really want to mount to it is a flash light for night time pest control (its legal) and possibly a bipod if i ever go with optics (im just not into Vertical grips, maybe someday but as of right now i dont really want one they are a bit to tacticool for my tastes). I just dont want to get the standard hand guards then end up wanting a rail and buying one anyways. Which in the long run would better suit someone that is just getting into the AR game? I also like the fact that the quad rail is free floating.

Oh and which rear sight is better? The 2H comes with the MI rear sight (Midwest Industries?) and the 2HT has the ARMS 40l.

Re: Rail or no rail?

I've gotten away from rail systems in favor of the Magpul MOE hand guards. They're light, cheap, strong and still allow for rail sections to be attached if you decide to mount accessories.

I wouldn't be too shot in the ass with either of those rear sights. Troy makes a great BUIS.

I like the rails personally. You can put a couple of covers on it to make it similar to a plastic guard. My Daniel defense came with a VFG but I didn't like it and switched to a AFG it's comfy and and I like the wrist position better.

What would it take to install a Magpull handguard on the gun?

Ive seen the Magpulls but havent heard to much about them

Pull back the delta ring and drop them in place. They go on just like the regular hand guards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotten away from rail systems in favor of the Magpul MOE hand guards. They're light, cheap, strong and still allow for rail sections to be attached if you decide to mount accessories.

I wouldn't be too shot in the ass with either of those rear sights. Troy makes a great BUIS. </div></div>
totally agree about the quad rails....over the years i realized that its more tacticool than tactical for me personally to have a quad rail...

the only things i even have on them is a surefire, and front flip up sight....and a bipod on the AR10(which doesnt have a light or BUIS, and maybe a vtac mount...

these days i just get a PRI, or jp forearm so i can add rails as needed

Ok thats was i was wondering because yea i guess if you dig them the rails look "cool" but from the 5 different guns ive shouldered (2 with rails) the rail just added unnecesary (haha i cant spell) weight. But since you can add rails to the MOE handguards they would be nice if i do end up going with attacking a flashlight. or ever decide that verticle grips add more function than just looks.

Think ill take the $200 i save on the quad rails and get more ammo and some magazines.

Thanks all!

Forgot to ask, while im here are those decent uppers? I cant afford a $800-$900 but this one seems to deliver what i want (buis (other than the Magpul one) and it seems to be on the cheaper end)

Ive read around on here and yes i know Stag is not by any means high quality, but how do they compare to bushmaster and Smith and Wesson?

Stag, Bushmaster and S & W are all pretty much the same quality wise. Not horrible but not great either. Stag might be slightly lower but not enough for the average guy to notice.

If/When I buy another upper (I have a 10.5" LMT and 16" BCM with rails). I will go without a rail and install the MOE for reasons others have stated.

I will spend the extra $100 for an LMT or DD though.

It's cheaper to go with a f/f tube that can have some rails mounted to it. That way you only buy rail sections you need, put on at 6 o'clock for bipod for example.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've gotten away from rail systems in favor of the Magpul MOE hand guards. They're light, cheap, strong and still allow for rail sections to be attached if you decide to mount accessories.

I wouldn't be too shot in the ass with either of those rear sights. Troy makes a great BUIS.</div></div>
This man speaks the truth. IMHO, miles & miles of rail on your AR is a little over-rated. I know it's cool to put all this bullshit on your gun, but I'd much rather keep it simple. Hell, even when I was operating, I just ran a vertical grip (this was before the days of the AFG) & an IR flashlight.

My vote is for the MOE's.

To be honest, I liked my AMRS 40L a lot more than the Troy BUIS. I found that the Troy would often require two hands to deploy since it had no spring. The ARMS40L was just a flick of the thumb and it popped up.

Also, I personally am a big fan of the Stag 2HT. I've had two and they've always worked, every time. You can pick the 2HT up used though for sometimes as low as $500.

I am not a huge fan of the rails per say, but I do like the free float, especially if you are going to be using a bipod much. You can get some pretty significant POI shift from loading the bipod if you just have it attached to a regular handguard. Even just sitting your handguard accross something to shoot can give you a POI shift. If shooting something small like p-dogs it can easily cause a miss.

I got one of these not to long ago. They are very light weight, small to hold onto since they do not have the rails on the sides. Have a rail ontop to add a flip up sight. Also they allow you to attach small rails for a flashlight and bipod if needed. http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=270 I really like mine. It will go on any and all future ARs I build.

I do like the idea of free float tubes better, but im not too sure if I will end up doing much bipod shooting. Im not totally sure but as of right now I highly doubt it.

Would someone notice large amounts of POI shifts if shooting free handed or using a sling as support? What im wanting out of this gun is something thats fun and something that will just introduce me to AR's. IF i end up liking the AR platform and i am able to get used to it and its controls and feel then I will pursue building my dream AR. But at the same time I dont want a gun thats going to end up shooting 6-7 MOA at 100 yards (even though Im not looking for the bestest of groups either)

I would not bother with the FF tube then. No need for just a plinker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be honest, I liked my AMRS 40L a lot more than the Troy BUIS. I found that the Troy would often require two hands to deploy since it had no spring. The ARMS40L was just a flick of the thumb and it popped up.

Also, I personally am a big fan of the Stag 2HT. I've had two and they've always worked, every time. You can pick the 2HT up used though for sometimes as low as $500. </div></div>

I ran ARMS sights for years and they worked fine. I never had one that didn't have some lateral play with the sight flipped up though. I always worried about getting some mud or sand in there and shifting my POA. It never happened but when the Troy sights came out I switched just for peace of mind.

I guess while im here as well what are the magpul flip up sights like? Im just not a giant polymer fan for some components and im just curious how they hold up?

Still a toss up between the Stag 2H upper ontop of a Rock River lower or just going with an entire gun like the Smith and Wesson M&P 15MOE or bushy MOE

I'm a Magpul fan of the highest order but polymer sights aren't for me.

Do the Magpul sights have much resell value? say i got them shot them for a month or two then when i had the funds upgraded to a nicer sight.

Ok, that aint too bad.

Maybe ill just go with a complete rifle for the simplicity of pruchasing and then just upgrade the buis.

Ya that's probably a good idea unless you want to take the time to piece together exactly what you want.