• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rail System for AR-15

Takashi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Hey guys, I've got an NF F1 that I'd like to run on a rem 700 with badger base and AX chassis. I'd also like to run the scope on my ar15. I am using one of the cantilever mounts on the ar but the mount hangs over at proper eye relief on the remmy.

The two systems that seem reasonably priced (as in significantly cheaper than going with a monolithic upper) are the DD Lite and the CASV-M

AR15%20Lite%20Rail%2012.0%20DD%202006.jpg

CASV-M-4.jpg

So the two differences are, the DD Lite comes in longer lengths, which might be of benefit, and it will allow me to run a buis (which would be a nice options though not necessary) This is roughly the same weight as the larue rail I'm running

The CASV-M sort of precludes itself to running either their folding sight or a folding sight gas block, the gas block seems to bump at least 80 bucks to the price.

The mount I'd like to run is the Larue OBR.

The CASV-M also acts as a riser, not sure if there is any benefit (or detriment) there.

Re: Rail System for AR-15

Rewind a bit here - and just sticking with the AR15.

You want to be able to mount your NF F1 on/off, right? The issue here is that you don't want to bridge the mount (assuming it's a more than one piece) from the receiver onto the handguard itself.

There are dozens of options on free float handguards that you don't list - or I guess consider? JP, YHM, PRI on and on and on.

(I carried CASV's in service and the detriment that I found to them away the additional weight. I'm not a fan of them.)

It would be worth a look at a Centurion Arms C4 rail if you're interested in a longer free-float handguard that produces a "continuous" top rail. They're made by an active-duty SEAL as his side job, are light as all get-out, and are flipping rigid/don't twist if you're torque'ing the handguard (i.e. with a VFG). I've got two of the 12" rails (one on my SPR, one on the shelf for my next AR build) and have been happy with the built one so far.

6e7b0410.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick Just Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rewind a bit here - and just sticking with the AR15.

You want to be able to mount your NF F1 on/off, right? The issue here is that you don't want to bridge the mount (assuming it's a more than one piece) from the receiver onto the handguard itself.

There are dozens of options on free float handguards that you don't list - or I guess consider? JP, YHM, PRI on and on and on.

(I carried CASV's in service and the detriment that I found to them away the additional weight. I'm not a fan of them.) </div></div>

The issue with a lot of those rails is the mounts commonly found on AR15s tend to have a cantilever for eye relief and those on the Rem 700 are non-cantilevered (traditional rings). As much as I'd like to purchase two pieces of glass, that is nowhere in the near future (I'll sell the NF to move up to a Premiere/S&B Prior to getting another optic)

So I guess this is also a question--is bridging the gap between upper and rail system necessarily a bad thing as far as optics go? This is one of the reasons I sort of like the VLTOR method. The DD has a nice attachment too but does not solve this problem.

Currently I run a cantilever mount on my NF and it hangs over on the Rem.

Hopefully this clarifies things.

Short answer to your question - yes. It's a free float handguard, which means if you bridged from the receiver on to that handguard (which is no way associated with the barrel, it just covers it and gives you a means to attach components to), you can change your point of aim every time you rest or bang it against something - if that is not a monolithic rail (from charging handle to somewhere over the gas block)

It's not the best way to do this - if you're looking to shoot accurately I would advise you avoid doing what you propose.