• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Rail to mount on a scope tube?

Irish John

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2004
Does anyone make a clamp on rail which can be mounted directly to a scope tube? I would like to mount, off set to the axis of the scope, a micro red dot for close target engagement.

Larue and some others make ring halves that directly mount sights. I'd think those to be better, particularly if you use one of those rings/mounts already. They mount much more flush than a rail attachment would.

There are also offset dot mounts that mount on the receiver rail and stick out on either side. In all these cases, the ones I'm thinking of aren't rails, they're mount bases that these red dot sights affix to directly. So you'd need to know which sight you plan on using before ordering one, though some of these bases are "universal" and will accept a few different maker's sights.

Were I to do it, were I to shoot 3 gun or something where that would be useful to me, I'd likely go with the ring mounts as they're higher than the receiver mounted ones and the cant seems to be more "natural". Larue has a good selection, they'd be a good one to start with, but I'm sure there are other ring and mount manufacturers that make similar products.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. At several precision rifle matches this year, I encountered stages which required engaging small targets at very close range, 10yd. Trying to figure out a way to hang a micro red dot on my PSS for those stages.