• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rain?

99HMC4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Ive read many posts about things effecting bullets but Ive never heard anyone talk about shooting say 1500-2000 yards i rain? What would the rain drops do to bullet flight?

Re: Rain?

are you fuckin serious..............please tell me how one see's a target at them distances
when it rains ...its time to go get dry and hoist one

....anyone knows the bullet just gets ......WET........

Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of would be <span style="font-weight: bold">humidity</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">air density</span>???????.

I have my own range and can see my targets at 1000 yds. when it is raining but have never tried shooting at them. Think maybe I will next time it rains just to see what happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000 YDS. IS FUN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of would be <span style="font-weight: bold">humidity</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">air density</span>???????.

I have my own range and can see my targets at 1000 yds. when it is raining but have never tried shooting at them. Think maybe I will next time it rains just to see what happens. </div></div>

I second the hum/den thought.

One of my smallest groups ever at 1K was fired in a constant drizzle.

my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you fuckin serious..............please tell me how one see's a target at them distances

....anyone knows the bullet just gets ......WET........ </div></div>

Yes. Yes I am fuckin serious. Its a theoretical question. Just like guys asl about the earths rotation, Im just wondering what all the guys take is on it. What about a drop in velocity from hitting droplets? Its a discussion, calm down dude....
smile.gif

Shot a lot of stuff (steel)700-1100 this weekend with 308 at the ASC Match
Alt, air density, temp, and the wet A$$ shooter seemed to be the big X factors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you fuckin serious..............please tell me how one see's a target at them distances

Yes. Yes I am fuckin serious. Its a theoretical question. Just like guys asl about the earths rotation, Im just wondering what all the guys take is on it. What about a drop in velocity from hitting droplets? Its a discussion, calm down dude....
smile.gif
</div></div>

ok...i'll tell you some from institutional memory....but first please complete your profile......like where are you at and what do you do....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are you fuckin serious..............please tell me how one see's a target at them distances

smile.gif
</div></div>

What I've found shooting in rain is exactly that. Groups spread out because of uneven impacts to the bullets. Some laterally, more vertically. Not to mention my sight picture on long range targets in rain isn't as good as slightly or heavily overcast or even sunny. Light rain isn't too bad. But a good steady rain ruins shooting for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok...i'll tell you some from institutional memory....but first please complete your profile......like where are you at and what do you do.... </div></div>

No. This isnt facebook or myspace. My profile has nothing to do with anything. If you dont like it stay out of my thread. If you have a specific question about me or my set up then ask...
smile.gif

We shoot the rain all the time. We go to 1,000 regularly, often to 1,100 or 1,200, and if it rains, we shoot anyway. If we can see the targets, it's just another day on your belly. Dope is the same, match up your DA, correct to match your calc method & dial it.

Rain can make it easier to shoot, especially broken terrain, in that downrange wind can be seen more easily. Another upside is that relays go quicker when the less hardy souls bail out.

The only downside is that the brass is often ruined if it rains for so hard so long that there is nothing dry left to wipe your ammo off prior to loading...oh, and that you're wet.

I find shooting competitions in the rain gives me a competitive advantage. Lots of people don't like being wet. I'm amphibious, and my butt is watertight.
laugh.gif

I've never had to change my dope in the rain, except to the extent the temperature changes. It's a good idea to keep water out of the chamber, though. Wet ammo can give you pressure problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok...i'll tell you some from institutional memory....but first please complete your profile......like where are you at and what do you do.... </div></div>

No. This isnt facebook or myspace. My profile has nothing to do with anything. If you dont like it stay out of my thread. If you have a specific question about me or my set up then ask...
smile.gif
</div></div>

...i can tell you're going to go real far here......sport, NOT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...uneven impacts to the bullets.</div></div>I was under the impression that bullets don't get wet until they land.

As it was explained to me:

Look at a picture of a bullet in super sonic flight which shows the sonic "wave". This wave or pressure in flight, will also "part" such light things as rain drops...to a point.

We tested the theory in the mid-90's in a place where it monsooned every day, same time every day...again to a certain point. In really heavy rain, vision was such we couldn't shoot at the base line targets for lack of visability. When we could see even marginaly, impact didn't change. A Ballistician explained his sonic wave theory to me. I for one believe he was right during the conditions we could shoot. In very heavy down pour, your guess is as good as mine! But I know it's some of the best and weirdest trace I've ever seen also.

djd

Pretty much the same as it was explained to me. The sonic wave parts the rain droplets before the bullet gets there. The bullet stays dry till it hits the target. You just adjust for the humidity..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nolo263</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty much the same as it was explained to me. The sonic wave parts the rain droplets before the bullet gets there. The bullet stays dry till it hits the target. You just adjust for the humidity..</div></div>

I can't see how the sonic wave that's behind the bullet gets in front of the bullet to 'part the waters' Maybe the compression wave?? Which is actual air, not shockwave. I know I can hear it hitting all the way down from 200-600. And if it hits something it gets disrupted. Even the compression air. If it gets squeezed between a bullet and a rain drop is going to cause higher pressure. Which in turn will cause uneven pressure on the bullet.

My experience...and it certainly isn't as much as some on here... is that groups spread out. Targets can still be hit. It's just variables that you have to take into account.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 99HMC4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive read many posts about things effecting bullets but Ive never heard anyone talk about shooting say 1500-2000 yards i rain? What would the rain drops do to bullet flight? </div></div>

No, Nothing....

It does not effect bullet path and it helps in many ways. I really enjoy shooting in the rain....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru δ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, Nothing....

It does not effect bullet path and it helps in many ways. I really enjoy shooting in the rain.... </div></div>

From the air wave? I was thinking it might have an effect. How about sub sonic flight?

Sub-sonic could cause problems with bullet flight. But in no way have i ever found that even the worst rain ever effected my groups. Just like 1k i have seen and shot some of my best groups. When it rains it seems to stabilize all the baro, air density and other factors that can change your bullet path. When sandwarrior was saying he has problems it sounds like its a wind problem in a big storm. We shoot 1k br all the time in the rain and you will see some awesome groups then. It actually helps with mirrage alot in a light rain until it rains so hard that it gets tough to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru δ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... When sandwarrior was saying he has problems it sounds like its a wind problem in a big storm. ...</div></div>

Actually, I think it's the vibration caused by the sniveling incurred when the rain gets just enough on me to make a run for my buttcrack....then I need to go inside.

Seriously, I'm thinking it's me and the scope. I've had a problem {edit: recently} getting parallax right with all my scopes. Don't know if the rain gets me not to focus or what. But, I really have to work on getting set behind the scope perfectly because my parallax indifferent eyes won't do it for me. That's on good days. Most of the time I'm not getting down behind the scope right. and shooting with rain can be a distraction. For the most part, I go from shooting .5 MOA vertically to 2 MOA in rain. Could well be my problem is excacerbated in the rain as I'm losing focus. (thus the sniveling comment).

Could be. One thing i was thinking was if you get rain in the end of the barrel that could cause some problems as well. Gotta double check that per i always shoot under shelter when its raining.

did I just read some fucker punk out Bolt...

two bucks for blood...two bucks for blood...

this aint facebook...

big hearty no shit to ya...

I've shot highpower and 1k in the rain, this is Seattle after all.

The hardest part about it - as someone above mentioned - keeping your expended brass dry.

You end up tumbling it as soon as you get home, wiping down everything but it's just another day at the range.

Accuracy?

Never noticed any significant impact difference, during a HEAVY wet rain I've noticed a couple of splatters along the way but for the most part it's a crap shoot if you are going to hit a stream of water or not.

What's really funny is to watch all of hte people with Kowa scopes running around crying and covering up their scopes....er, in the old days - heard they are water resistant now.

We have covers at our range now. We didn't used to. I didn't mind shooting in light rain. But when it gets enough to pool up, (especially in your hat) then all at once, runs down your back. It also depends on which rifle I shoot in the rain. My .25 WSSM and Savage have good parkerization and I don't have to worry about rust. My 7x57 has a polished chrome-moly barrel and it wants to rust on any humid day over 80 degrees. So I use that heavy gun grease to keep it from doing that. Still a pita. A couple other rifles I have are blued and they don't rust bad, but I've got to stay on top of them.

oneshot86,

Are you saying I punked out bolttripper?? You can't punk out the bolt...he likes it too much. Kind of like wrestling a pig in the shit. It's just too much fun for them to pass up on.
wink.gif
grin.gif

I learned a trick from a guy who regularly shot at Bisley. Take a piece of self-stick Velcro material about 4-6 inches long, and attach it on the left side of the stock opposite the ejection port. Then put a matching piece on a piece of Naughahyde or other waterproof material. Drap it over the top of the scope and down over the right side of the receiver, covering the ejection port.

With it secured only on the left side, you can still reach up under it to cycle the bolt, but water won't get in the receiver.

Lindy,

That's a good idea. Thanks for that. I tried doing something like that using visqueen, (this kind...http://www.visqueenbuilding.co.uk/) but it always seemed like water stuck to the bottom of that just as bad as the top.

That got me to thinking that maybe I could use tent-shelter material. Or pretty much any heavy cotton that was oil-waxed. I'm gonna try that tommorrow...it's supposed to rain here again for a few days.

Yeah, I think it works better with fairly heavy material which won't blow around. There are probably other kinds of waterproof material than Naugahyde which would work well, but the weight matters.

Hell I am going to fill in my profile now !!! Post number two here gentlemen, so I,m still lay'en low.... Do shoot Lr in the drizz/ rain... makes it easier to maneuver without notice.... accuracy not compromised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: laylowlong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell I am going to fill in my profile now !!! Post number two here gentlemen, so I,m still lay'en low.... Do shoot Lr in the drizz/ rain... makes it easier to maneuver without notice.... accuracy not compromised. </div></div>

Yes it certainly helps with that crunchy-crunchy sound we always used to hear down in Ft. Stewart. Very difficult to move quietly down there when it's dry. Same with Minnesota here. Quiet movement is pretty slow with all the leaves and sticks laying around. Not to mention it's really thick wherever there are woods around here.