• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Raising bolt-action with washers?

GCMxVeGeTa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Statesville, NC
I was wanting to know about using washers on the bolts between the action and stock to lift the action/barrel to help in free-floating?

Will it help accuracy? The barrel is somewhat free-floated already where a dollar bill will fit but its a tight fit. The extra 16th of an inch should take it the rest of the way.

Thanks,
VeG

Re: Raising bolt-action with washers?

Float the barrel, NOT the action. Stock and action are meant to be "one" w/ the barrel floating. Reason for bedding the action.

Hope this helps:
http://www.rdprecision.net/diy2.html

* If you dont feel comfortable performing the above bedding. Have a professional smith bed it for you, hint: R&D Precision

Have a great one,
FTK

Re: Raising bolt-action with washers?

Thanks for the info. SPDGG. Does this add a lot of weight? And if so, do the smiths' usually trim the area around the barrel...might make up for the other weight?

Thanks again,
VeG

P.S. I think this will be a better investment than buying a different aftermarket stock, since I'm used to the old stock and like it already. BTW, its a Savage 12fv in .223.