• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ramshot Magnum for 338 Lapua

ahhshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2013
Currently running H1000 with some nice results behind a 300 Gr Berger OTM over a Fed 215GM primer. About halfway through my 8 lb keg though and wondering if anyone has tried Ramshot Magnum and if so what you thought of it, and if any is available if it's worth trying out. Also some other powders I have considered are whatever IMR suits the 338. I had some great luck with IMR 4350 in my 6.5 Creedmoor and wondered if that kind of consistency was also found in their large magnum powders. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Ramshot Magnum is my go to powder for my .338LM. My current accuracy load is 97.5 grains of Magnum behind a 250 grain SMK with either Federal 215 or 215M primers and Lapua brass. This load has proven to be exceptionally accurate.

I really like the Ramshot powders for all of my reloading needs. They are clean burning, meter nicely and very consistent as far as shooting is concerned. I use Ramshot Magnum, Hunter, Big Game, TAC, Enforcer and True Blue on a pretty regular basis. Back in the '09 scare, Ramshot powders were the only ones that I could find in any kind of quantity, so I switched most of my powders to Ramshot with the exception of Varget, Titegroup and H110. I still had significant quantities of Varget, Titegroup and H110 and so I saw no reason to switch but I did try the Ramshot Enforcer for my magnum pistols and True Blue for the PS90 5.7 ammo that I bought in 2009.

In the current climate, however, all powders are hard to come across and my stocks of all are starting to run low. I am now playing with Accurate Magpro and Vihtavuori N160 (for 225 grain bullets) for my .338LM since I have found those powders in quantity lately. Still to early to tell on those two at this time. I have been really impressed with the Ramshot powders so far and their load data is very extensive for all the powders that they have. You can download their load data at Ramshots website for Ramshot and Accurate powders. Just Sayin'...

Last edited:
Ramshot Magnum is my go to powder for my .338LM. My current accuracy load is 97.5 grains of Magnum behind a 250 grain SMK with either Federal 215 or 215M primers and Lapua brass. This load has proven to be exceptionally accurate.

I really like the Ramshot powders for all of my reloading needs. They are clean burning, meter nicely and very consistent as far as shooting is concerned. I use Ramshot Magnum, Hunter, Big Game, TAC, Enforcer and True Blue on a pretty regular basis. Back in the '09 scare, Ramshot powders were the only ones that I could find in any kind of quantity, so I switched most of my powders to Ramshot with the exception of Varget, Titegroup and H110. I still had significant quantities of Varget, Titegroup and H110 and so I saw no reason to switch but I did try the Ramshot Enforcer for my magnum pistols and True Blue for the PS90 5.7 ammo that I bought in 2009.

In the current climate, however, all powders are hard to come across and my stocks of all are starting to run low. I am now playing with Accurate Magpro and Vihtavuori N160 (for 225 grain bullets) for my .338LM since I have found those powders in quantity lately. Still to early to tell on those two at this time. I have been really impressed with the Ramshot powders so far and their load data is very extensive for all the powders that they have. You can download their load data at Ramshots website for Ramshot and Accurate powders. Just Sayin'...

I appreciate the response, I was watching some Tiborasaurusrex videos on youtube and he listed his 300gr Sierra load and he was using Ramshot as well. I figure with his experience it might be a good choice, especially since the 338 world seems hellbent on H1000 and Retumbo. I would like to get ahold of some Ramshot Magnum to try, I haven't found any available yet, though. The Hodgdon powders are great but after being unable to obtain any H4350 we loaded up some 6.5 CM with 40 gr of IMR 4350 behind a 140AMAX and came up with our most accurate load for that rifle so far, so I'm now willing to venture beyond the Hodgdon realm (like I said they are fantastic powders but altogether unobtainium these days).

ive shot RSM in my 338 NM and it's some dirty stuff. After 25 rounds during breakin, i broke my suppressor off and after seeing what i saw on the muzzle. i broke out my cleaning supplies. It took quite a bit of carbon killer to get the stuff to come off. The first few patches that went through the gun the patches came out completely black and it felt like gravel. Anymore rounds down that barrel and i'd be able to cash in the diamonds that were made.

I've since changed over to H1000, much cleaner. I will have to say that the RSM did give me better velocities. i couldnt say weather or not its temperature sensitivity.

xdeano

ive shot RSM in my 338 NM and it's some dirty stuff. After 25 rounds during breakin, i broke my suppressor off and after seeing what i saw on the muzzle. i broke out my cleaning supplies. It took quite a bit of carbon killer to get the stuff to come off. The first few patches that went through the gun the patches came out completely black and it felt like gravel. Anymore rounds down that barrel and i'd be able to cash in the diamonds that were made.

I've since changed over to H1000, much cleaner. I will have to say that the RSM did give me better velocities. i couldnt say weather or not its temperature sensitivity.

xdeano

xdeano,

Thanks for the input. When you say better velocities, do you mean higher velocities or more consistent? For my application I really don't care about speed... the damn thing is a huge bullet and the wind doesn't really move it much. At this point I can't find either powder except on gunbroker so it looks like we are all about to shell out some $$ when it comes time to re-up. Such is the name of hte game with this caliber, I guess..

wondering if anyone has tried Ramshot Magnum and if so what you thought of it, and if any is available if it's worth trying out.

I have used Ramshot along with 300 SMK's in my Savage 110 BA during my second shooting season. I still have about 18 lbs left. I found Ramshot to be the dirtiest magnum powder I have tried. Other Magnum powders I tried in my Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua: 7828SC, H1000 & Retumbo. At this point I will use RSM for any loads I 'may' make for my Savage IF I ever get the urge to shoot her again.

I do not have my 90.0 Grain velocities available at this time but I did chrony my 88.5 Grain RSM/300 SMK/Lapua Brass/215M/2.714/3.680 loads just a few weeks ago. 88.5 yielded to barely 2600 average with no more than seven shots through chrony- recently. ES was over 30 off top of head as I recall seeing 258x fps at lowest.

Out of four magnum powders I found RSM to be least favorite.

With above said, if you can get it try it for yourself and see what you come up with. Maybe you will find better results than I. I purchased 3 kegs during first six months of 2013 and shot it mostly exclusive during 2013 season.

Groups, I did have some tight groups BUT not consistent. Take this previous statement with grain of salt as I definitely played a role with inconsistent groups as I never enjoyed the BA stock. I found it like a good looking woman whose body didn't feel as good as she looked when I got my hands on her. Lol Hope that made sense.

Once again, if you can get it try it and see for yourself. Something tells me you are no where near NY. Otherwise, I would give you some to try for yourself. I have yet to find anyone to take my supply off my hands though I have not made much of an effort to find takers.

I have since received my custom .338 Lapua and shoot her exclusively when shooting .338 caliber.

I would be very interested in hearing about your results.

Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

Other thoughts:
- I found RSM fired cases needed much more tumble time to clean necks
- I have heard of a few guys at local range have very good results with RSM in 7MM rigs.
- A guy who had his .338 Lapua built by same Custom Builder, Jamie Dodson [MENTION=1381]wolf[/MENTION]precision.net, posted less than .5 MOA 5 shot group at a mile using your current H1000/Berger 300 OTM's/215M. But he told me his OAL is greater than magazine, such that, he has to single feed.

Last edited:
I have used Ramshot along with 300 SMK's in my Savage 110 BA during my second shooting season. I still have about 18 lbs left. I found Ramshot to be the dirtiest magnum powder I have tried. Other Magnum powders I tried in my Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua: 7828SC, H1000 & Retumbo. At this point I will use RSM for any loads I 'may' make for my Savage IF I ever get the urge to shoot her again.

I do not have my 90.0 Grain velocities available at this time but I did chrony my 88.5 Grain RSM/300 SMK/Lapua Brass/215M/2.714/3.680 loads just a few weeks ago. 88.5 yielded to barely 2600 average with no more than seven shots through chrony- recently. ES was over 30 off top of head as I recall seeing 258x fps at lowest.

Out of four magnum powders I found RSM to be least favorite.

With above said, if you can get it try it for yourself and see what you come up with. Maybe you will find better results than I. I purchased 3 kegs during first six months of 2013 and shot it mostly exclusive during 2013 season.

Groups, I did have some tight groups BUT not consistent. Take this previous statement with grain of salt as I definitely played a role with inconsistent groups as I never enjoyed the BA stock. I found it like a good looking woman whose body didn't feel as good as she looked when I got my hands on her. Lol Hope that made sense.

Once again, if you can get it try it and see for yourself. Something tells me you are no where near NY. Otherwise, I would give you some to try for yourself. I have yet to find anyone to take my supply off my hands though I have not made much of an effort to find takers.

I have since received my custom .338 Lapua and shoot her exclusively when shooting .338 caliber.

I would be very interested in hearing about your results.

Feel free to PM me with any further questions.

Other thoughts:
- I found RSM fired cases needed much more tumble time to clean necks
- I have heard of a few guys at local range have very good results with RSM in 7MM rigs.
- A guy who had his .338 Lapua built by same Custom Builder, Jamie Dodson [MENTION=1381]wolf[/MENTION]precision.net, posted less than .5 MOA 5 shot group at a mile using your current H1000/Berger 300 OTM's/215M. But he told me his OAL is greater than magazine, such that, he has to single feed.

Good info. So that's 2 for dirty but accurate. What part of NY? i used to live in Arcade until about 10 years ago. I haven't had any real issues with H1000 and it seems clean and accurate. Unfortunately the throat in my 338 is very long and my magazine is non-cip, so my max oal is 3.614 but in order to get to the lands I need to seat at 3.920 with the berger 300 hybrids. These bullets don't seem to mind the excessive jump, but for shits and giggles I did load up some that are 25 thou off the lands and will try them this weekend. The gun was very accurate but lately it's been giving me great 4 shot groups with a flier usually on the 3rd or 5th round. I think it might have been time to clean the bore (after 400 rounds haha). It was very caked with carbon and copper but, it's spotless now so after a few foulers I'm hoping to get rid of the fliers issue. I live in Florida now but I will PM you about the RSM. Thanks