• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ramshot Tac in 30-06?

Kaisersose

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2003
Knoxville, TN
Anybody try running Tac in 30-06.

I like how it meters out of my dillon for 223 and was wondering if it could be loaded up with 190s in 30-06.

Re: Ramshot Tac in 30-06?

Yes it will go BANG. No it will not be an optimum/most flexible powder for this case, overall.

It will be OK for producing M2 Ball equivalent ammo with 147 FMJs. It will also do OK producing a standard pressure 150 grain hunting load. In both cases however you will have a low load density, which is one factor you are trying to manage when producing accurate loads. It will push 165s and 168s OK, but they will not be screaming fast loads.

It does fall within a burn rate that is appropriate for the M1 Garand, so you can use it in this application as well with bullets up to 168 grain.

If you try 190s with TAC in the 30-06 case and stick to decent pressures you will produce velocities probably 200 fps below what the case is capable of with a slower burning powder. It will also be temperature sensitive if you try pushing the velocities some. TAC and heavy bullets do not get along when trying to achieve velocities the case/bullet combo is capable of with the appropriate slower burning powders, no matter what case you are using.

If you are after maximum velocity and performance out of the 30-06 case in a bolt gun, you'll want to go with slower powders and fill the case up more. 4350 and RL19 are more in the range you want to be. Keep in mind these powders are not suitable for the M1 Garand. 4064 is as slow as you want to run in the M1.

IMO all TAC is is a modern version of Win 748. Everything stated above applies to 748 as well. Many have learned the hard way not to push 748's capability with heavier bullets and fluctuating temps.

Reactions: Baddog 0302

I love Ramshot powders. Like you, I've achieved the best groups ever out of my 24" bbl dpms .223. I,ve shot 69gr and 77gr SMK'S with 24gr of TAC with dime sized groups. Like you said, It meters great and consistent out of my RCBS chargemaster.

However, I load for me and my brother's 30-06 deer rifle (both light weight 22" savage and ruger respectfully).

TAC would not be your best choice for that heavy of a bullet. If you like Ramshot try Big Game or, even better, Hunter (all ramshot powders are ball and meter great). Other good choices would be IMR 4350 (does not meter as well) or RL-19.

I have not shot 190's in either rifle. And have never shot either of these past about 230-250yds. They ride around in the truck, with the dogs, and the dust, and the mud, etc..

150gr MRX (me), 165gr SST (my brother), and 168gr SMK'S (for both, for fun, with the yotes' or any other enemy scavanger). I use Big Game for all these loads.

Hope you find somebody out there more usefull than me...

_9H covered it well, as did Sheep. The powder isn't well suited to the case. It will work very well with 135-150gr bullets and can be used in old rifles. It can't hold a candle to RL22, RL19, 4821sc, or 4350 in that case with 190's for speed.

H4831sc and RL22 both gave me EXCELLENT results with my 26" barreled -06 shooting 180-210gr bullets, H4350 is about as fast as I'd go with a 180gr bullet and as you get heavier it becomes less optimal.

Agree with what the guys said above. Try Hunter and your Dillon will be happy and it will give the performance you ae looking for. Thats the powder I use in my 30-06 loading on my Dillon.

Thanks for the advice.

I loaded up 75 rounds yesterday afternoon using 4350 through my dillon.

I was getting as much as 1.1 grains difference between charges.

So as a result I ended up throwing small charges and hand trickling final 1.5 grains or so.

Is Reloader 19 and 22 good out of dillon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Is Reloader 19 and 22 good out of dillon? </div></div>

Not really, appx. the same as the H4350.

If you put a Hornady powder thrower on top instead of the Dillon it will throw much closer to the nominal.

Loading for my 30-06 high grade ammo I trickle the charges and load them through the progressive, but each round is trickled. I use BLC-2 for 150gr FMJ ammo and it meters very well from my powder thrower.

Any information using TAC in the Garand w 168 SMK’s ?? I have read that this powder is a good substitute for Varget . I have not found significant information on this powder. Varget seems to offer lower pressure for 2600 fps velocities using this weight bullet. Varget is not easily found these days.

Last edited:
Any information using TAC in the Garand w 168 SMK’s ?? I have read that this powder is a good substitute for Varget . I have not found significant information on this powder. Varget seems to offer lower pressure for 2600 fps velocities using this weight bullet. Varget is not easily found these days.
There is a reason Hodgdon's reloading site does not list TAC with netiher the M1 or the M1A. There are powders much better suited for the gas systems on both former "service rifles"