• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ramshot TAC versus Accurate 2230 for .223

boomfab

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Missouri, USA
I've narrowed it down to these two powders for a couple reasons:

1) Availability/price
2) Metering consistency in my Dillon 1050

Which of these two powders is least temp sensitive?

This is for loading 69gr SMKs for 3-gunning.

I have used Varget in the past but it will not meter well in my Dillon. It is also hard to find. I considered RE-15 but I've heard it meters just a tad better than Varget. It's darn hard to find in stock as well.

Re: Ramshot TAC versus Accurate 2230 for .223

2250 is more comparable to TAC for 69gr and heavier. Never used 2230.

Not sure one is any more sensitive than the other.
I have tried them both, wasn't impressed with either.
For your bullet weight, I would think TAC.
just my $0.02

Both are made by the same company with 2230 being the faster burning one. I think temp sensitivity wise, they are pretty close.

Just try both and see which works best for you. Both of them have worked well in my rifles. 23.6gr of 2230 with a 69gr was my accuracy load.

used and using both tac is best of two for least amount of temp senitivity (sorry bad speller) you will get good results with both though. hope this helps

used and using both tac is best of two for least amount of temp senitivity (sorry bad speller) you will get good results with both though. hope this helps

I love TAC for the 69's and 75's in an AR. Meters like water in the Dillon powder measures.

Start at 24grs and work up from their. Great 3 Gun load.

I would say that 2230 would be better for the lighter bullets in .223 and TAC in 69gr and larger. 2230 has a faster burn rate, TAC is close to Vargets burn rate.

Both TAC and 2230 will meter well in your Dillon or any powder measure for that matter.

TAC in a 16" I'm guessing 2300-2600 FPS based on recommended load data. Never felt the need to chrony the loads out of my carbine since I hit where I aim with my Aimpoint easily out to 300 with 77gr SMK's.

No idea on 2230. I don't use it for .223, and I have better powders for my 6.5 Grendel, although it is a possibility there as well. Personally, Xterminator would probably be even better than 2230 for lighter <55gr loads in .223. The burn rate isn't as fast as 2230 but faster than TAC.