• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ran across a unicorn at my local shop

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I ran across this new Coonan Classic and decided that it needed a good home.

Heres just a not so great cell picture, Ill take some better ones if people want when i pick it up next week. Its the 'upgraded' one with adjustable sights and an extra magazine. I can post a range report after I shoot it next week.

b0rXX.jpg

Do you guys have any recommendations on loads for it other than 158gr standards? I am planning on playing with some 357 and 38's to find how light I can go before it wont cycle anymore.

Re: Ran across a unicorn at my local shop

That is surely an interesting find. Don't you love it when you walk in out of the blue and find something like this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a brand new current production firearm. While a very nice piece, I fail to understand how it is a "Unicorn". </div></div>

they are on a year backorder. to me, thats a unicorn. its also the first one i have seen in person.

Nice find! A practical Desert Eagle! Shoot the same cartridges, but in a package most people can handle!

Show us how it shoots when you get it home!

Congrats!

-G45

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Raider1v1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a brand new current production firearm. While a very nice piece, I fail to understand how it is a "Unicorn". </div></div>

they are on a year backorder. to me, thats a unicorn. its also the first one i have seen in person. </div></div>

I would say they are rare- I've never seen one. They look pretty cool. if they shoot accurately that would seem to be a pretty cool firearm.

I'll bet they are spendy bastards though!

Man that finish is bad for a "new" gun. Looks like an awful lot of scratches and swirls where the forward serrations are missing, hopefully those are mostly just fingerprints.

Looks to me like that magazine release should have been extended, considering the size of the grip.

They did the slide release and the safety, but left out the last control.

I don't even want to know how that ugly pivoting trigger works.

The Bullet Hole never fails
wink.gif
I love going in there to look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man that finish is bad for a "new" gun. Looks like an awful lot of scratches and swirls where the forward serrations are missing, hopefully those are mostly just fingerprints.

Looks to me like that magazine release should have been extended, considering the size of the grip.

They did the slide release and the safety, but left out the last control.

I don't even want to know how that ugly pivoting trigger works.</div></div>

You forgot to mention how ugly his mom is.

KSwift........ You're joking right?

I'd really like to see more pictures of it.

I keep on thinking that the thread title says "Ran over," not "Ran across."

zmgp5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You forgot to mention how ugly his mom is. </div></div>

How in the hell do you extrapolate a critique of a tool to a personal insult?

Look at the picture, the gun finish is in surprisingly poor condition. I could take sandpaper to a brand new stainless gun and it would look better than that. That's a reflection on Coonan and the gun store that sold it.

The design failure to modify only 2/3 thumb controls to accomodate the pistol size and the unconventional trigger is again a reflection on Coonan.

Fucking whiny retards, if I post a picture of my brand new gun that's rusted and has a scope on backwards, feel free to point it out. I'm not some god damn street trash that'll assume you just insulted my family in the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2088315090_bcae4100ff.jpg
</div></div> roflol!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

You are complaining about the finish on a "tool" and then calling me a whiny retard? Really? Once you fetishize something by commenting on a superficial / non-functional aspect, you can't really call it a tool anymore.

Now let's go back to what this thread is... somebody found what they thought was a good deal at a local gun shop and posted pictures to show all the kids at school his new toy.

He has already bought the toy. If he were posting a thread on a gunbroker auction asking if he should bid on it, or posting a picture of the item from the gun store, that would be a great time to critique the item.

OP already bought the item. Taking a dump on it is just disrespectful and benefits no one.

I don't think I need to explain this. I think you knew what you were doing. I am just pointing it out to pierce the thin veil of passive aggression.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

You are complaining about the finish on a "tool" and then calling me a whiny retard? Really? Once you fetishize something by commenting on a superficial / non-functional aspect, you can't really call it a tool anymore.

Now let's go back to what this thread is... somebody found what they thought was a good deal at a local gun shop and posted pictures to show all the kids at school his new toy.

He has already bought the toy. If he were posting a thread on a gunbroker auction asking if he should bid on it, or posting a picture of the item from the gun store, that would be a great time to critique the item.

OP already bought the item. Taking a dump on it is just disrespectful and benefits no one.

I don't think I need to explain this. I think you knew what you were doing. I am just pointing it out to pierce the thin veil of passive aggression. </div></div>
You are both being pussies. At least try to look cool on the interweb.

the mag release was OK. i wear large or X-large size gloves and it wasnt a problem.

i took a quick picture in the shop as they were calling in the 4473. those are just fingerprints and crappy lighting. I wouldnt have paid 1k+ for a pistol that looked horrible.

ill post some better pictures when I get it back next week.

that does kind of make me think, i wonder if the release is replaceable. i dont see it listed on the parts list either way.

i just emailed them. ill post a reply if i get one.

Q: How many parts are interchangeable between the .357 Magnum Automatic and a standard 1911? A: There are 18 parts that are direct replacements:

Hammer & Pin
Hammer Strut & Pin
Sear, & Pin
Sear Spring
Disconnector & Pin
Thumb Safety
Plunger Tube, Pins (Front & Rear), and Spring
Barrel Bushing
Recoil Plug
Grip Screws
Grip Bushings

There are 6 parts that require some modification:

Firing Pin Stop
Grip Safety
Recoil Spring
Ejector
Recoil Spring Tube
Sights

http://www.coonaninc.com/faq.php

Enjoy it! I had one for awhile and really liked it. I ordered mine back when wait times were about 4 months or so. It was VERY soft shooting. I sold it when I got my Delta back from the smith. I figured I didn't need two similar, expensive to feed autos that were nothing but range toys. I never ran any .38 through mine, but it gobbled up 142 gr Fiocchi .357 Mag like candy. The trigger on mine was nice. Not quite up to the Baer and Delta, but not bad at all.

for those wondering i did get an answer on the mag release. a standard 1911 extended one will fit as a direct replacement w/ no issues.