• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ran my first 1/2 today

dirkreader

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2004
Texas
Came in at 1:45.23 averaged 8:03/mile.

I'm running my first marathon in NM on March 23. The Bataan Memorial Death March. Wish me luck as I train on!

Re: Ran my first 1/2 today

That's an excellent time, especially for your first race!

I've run 5 halves and one full...my 1/2 PR is 1:48. Planned to run Chicago in 4:00, but 70° temps in October kicked my ass and I ended up 4:45.

Good luck on your full!

Congratulations! I run it in about 1hr 57 min at 210 lbs and 38 years of age. If I were to drop a few pounds, I could probably keep up with you guys.

I"m 47 and weigh in at 158 pounds. Hopefully I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with my Bataan commitment. But I'm really looking forward to it being my first. My brother who also shoots is going to run it again so I'll have some moral support along the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Came in at 1:45.23 averaged 8:03/mile. Wish me luck as I train on! </div></div>

Congratulations!! I can't imagine maintaining that pace over and entire 1/2.

Good luck!

You picked a hell of a first marathon. I'm sure you've read the horror stories. Find sand and wind to train in if you can. Look forward to hearing about your successful completion of Bataan!

Thanks Mtneer. I figure if you're going to go, go BIG!

Plus I had a great-Uncle died in a POW camp after the Bataan March. I'm also originally from NM so it is always a good excuse to go home.

Nice. 1/2's are tough for sure, just wait for the big dance.
Last half I ran, finished in 2:30, but my gf at the time had an asthma attack at the 8 mile mark, and we walked/jogged the rest. We were averaging 7 min miles until then. Pushed too hard I spose.

Train up and good luck!!

Thanks scrambler. I'll look into the hammer gel. I need to start thinking about the nutrition side of things while I run.

Also the little GU energy packs are great. They even have little chewy squares as well. Go into a bike shop and you can find them at the checkout counter like candy at a convenience store. The warm up gatorade (G1 i think) liquid packs are also nice for pre-activity stuff.