• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ran out of turret adjustment zeroing my scope today

Gregor.Samsa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2019
    NorCal
    Hello All,

Went to sight in my Steiner 4-16x56 on my Howa 308 today. My elevation turret bottomed out leaving me about 1.3 mils below POI with no room for further adjustment. The scope is mounted in Seekins medium rings on an EGW 20 MOA rail. The centerline of the scope is 2.25" above the center of the bore and the space between the barrel and the bottom edge of objective bell is 0.5" . What is the best solution: lower scope rings or increased MOA rail (not sure there are many options for HOWA?

My TIkka CTR space between objective and barrel is less than 0.375" and I have plenty of adjustment beyond the useful limits of the cartridge.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I don’t know anything about that scope, but are you hitting a zero stop that can be adjusted further down? Seems odd you’d be out of travel with only 20MOA. How much total travel does your scope have, and can you account for all of it?

I don’t know anything about that scope, but are you hitting a zero stop that can be adjusted further down? Seems odd you’d be out of travel with only 20MOA. How much total travel does your scope have, and can you account for all of it?
    Assuming it’s the p4xi 4-16 Steiner it’s got 30 mils so it should be a long ways from the end.

I suspect the zero stop is locked and blocking your adjustment prematurely as well.
    16F85310-64A8-449A-AF76-5CAE1CDB9F51.png

correct on p4xi. I'll check the zero stop. Thank you for the insight!!! I totally overlooked the obvious. much appreciated. I'll follow up on results.

Reactions: rsb
    are your mounts definitely fitted flat and true on your pic rail. I have seen this situation before and one of the mounts was not. I think in this case because the scope was mounted to the rings before fitting to the rail.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
    are your mounts definitely fitted flat and true on your pic rail. I have seen this situation before and one of the mounts was not. I think in this case because the scope was mounted to the rings before fitting to the rail.
    I’ll double check that. Rail was bedded to receiver. Thanks

Same scope here. Mounted in Hawkins Hybrid 25moa mount and after zeroing, I only have about 9.5 mils of elevation which seems low to me. I did mess with the zero stop but maybing I'm missing something too. I am curious to see what you find out.

Same scope here. Mounted in Hawkins Hybrid 25moa mount and after zeroing, I only have about 9.5 mils of elevation which seems low to me. I did mess with the zero stop but maybing I'm missing something too. I am curious to see what you find out.

Stupid question, but did you make sure the mount is installed the right way?

9.5 is about what you’d have if the mount was wackwards.