• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Random question for those working in the legal profession.

LuckyDuck

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 4, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Howdy,

I understand that there's a structure for folks being called to jury duty- either their employer has a corporate level policy stating that they will cover the salaries of any employee called to serve in a jury OR jurors are entitled to some token amount of compensation (IDK $40 or whatever a day and maybe lunch). Where my question comes from- what financial assurances do witnesses have for being called to court? Does it vary from state to state, municipality to municipality?

To put another way- let's say I'm "Bob" and I work at a local gas station. Just outside of the windows, I notice that there's a murder that occurs right there in the parking lot because the gas station is in a bad part of town. I clearly witnessed the murder occur and the gas station has surveillance cameras that recorded said event. I get something in the mail saying I need to appear in court to testify- BUT I'm a witness and not a juror. My corporate overlords that own the gas station only have a policy for jury duty but "Bob" is ordered to court to testify as a witness.

In that scenario, does "Bob" have any financial assurance for having to take a day (or more) off of work? Clearly working at a gas station in the 'bad' part of town would suggest that "Bob" doesn't have the financial means to afford a day off of work to make his financial ends "meet". Anywho- I was just curious how this situation normally plays out for those on the Hide with experience in this situation. Is "Bob" SOL and possibly not make his electric payment that month because of the court order or does the court protect the financial loss of such witnesses?

-LD

You can't help out your fellow man???
    Do you always have to be compensated?
    It's not a morality question- rather a question of those of our citizens that can't even afford to exercise compassion and citizenship duty. Charity and duty can only exist when other's basic needs are met (in my opinion). In the scenario I outlined, we're talking about a direct witness to a capitol crime that may be deterred from participating in the legal system and sharing what they saw, not because they're obstinate or directly trying to avoid being a dutiful citizen- but rather that they simply can't afford to miss a single day's wages.

-LD

Reactions: Glowie
    1000002718.gif

In short, no, witnesses are not compensated for their time. Plan/save accordingly. Speaking from my one-time experience as a juror, witnesses are only there for a brief period of time to give a statement and maybe answer follow up questions from the plaintiff, DA or the defense attorneys. It should not involve a whole day off of work if the person being called to witness is savvy with their time. Plan on two-four hours depending on circumstances of said case, can be as little as a half hour. Once the statement is given and questions answered, the witness is free to leave. If "Bob" has been subpoenaed, then he is required to show up and if his employer doesn't like it, then Mr. Bossman can take that up with the judge while defending against a wrongful termination lawsuit. I'm sure "Bob's" lawyer would be more than happy to waive the retainer fee under that circumstance.

Why should "bob" do the cops job? He's not a cop or lawyer. Why should "bob" stick his neck out. The killers pals may come back and make "bob" neal. So now does he neal or bob. If I were "bob" I would learn how to say no habla no habla
    Doing the cops or lawyers job is not what I'm asking.

-LD

Reactions: Glowie
    In short, no, witnesses are not compensated for their time. Plan/save accordingly. Speaking from my one-time experience as a juror, witnesses are only there for a brief period of time to give a statement and maybe answer follow up questions from the plaintiff, DA or the defense attorneys. It should not involve a whole day off of work if the person being called to witness is savvy with their time. Plan on two-four hours depending on circumstances of said case, can be as little as a half hour. Once the statement is given and questions answered, the witness is free to leave. If "Bob" has been subpoenaed, then he is required to show up and if his employer doesn't like it, then Mr. Bossman can take that up with the judge while defending against a wrongful termination lawsuit. I'm sure "Bob's" lawyer would be more than happy to waive the retainer fee under that circumstance.
    Thank you.

-LD

As papershredder said, witnesses are generally not compensated because of their active involvement in the case. Usually, the prosecutor can determine the timeframe that a witness will most likely be called to testify, so it doesn't adversely impact the witness's entire day.

Yeah,.............you don't even get any lunch money. :mad:

Don’t any of you watch the news? You bill for $50k to pay a vendor, pay the vendor $20k and pocket the other $30k to be a witness.

Geez…

• Haha
    Reactions: 918v
    The Judge gets big money
    The DA gets big money
    The defense attorney gits big money
    The balif gets good money
    The stenographer gets a little taste
    Bob gets squat

Same pattern repeats everywhere
    Look at all the people making bank from transplants but organ donors families get squat.

The Judge gets big money
    The DA gets big money
    The defense attorney gits big money
    The balif gets good money
    The stenographer gets a little taste
    Bob gets squat

Same pattern repeats everywhere
    Look at all the people making bank from transplants but organ donors families get squat.
    It’s really not a donation if you’re getting paid…

Reactions: diverdon
    Simple solution: Mind your own business.

The one time I had to testify, I was at the courthouse for about seven hours. I guess if you don’t count the 1.5 hours travel time, it was less than a day.

If you are a witness to a crime and your testimony is needed, you need to testify, even if you are not paid for it. However, if your boss threatens you with any kind of punishment for missing work, including getting fired, the DA or Asst DA can charge the boss with interference, witness tampering, hindering to such a degree that the boss may find that life flows better when he keeps his damned mouth shut.

As my friend, Lee, used to say, "never pass up a chance to shut the fuck up."

Jury duty doesn't pay squat. Nor is a company required to pay you for jury duty. However, people in my situation have only to explain to the person who sends the notice that I cannot serve on a jury because carrying for my wife requires daily attention.

Although, Lee once suggested wearing a t-shirt of Nathan Bedford Forrest to jury duty. But you taking a risk that the lawyers may or may not be educated in history.

Chuckles and guffaws may ensue.

You can be subpoenaed to testify in a court case and while there are a few exceptions
    to that subpoena you must appear.

Funny thing is as a witness you get paid nothing but if you are testifying as an EXPERT WITNESS you get good money.

The one time I had to testify, I was at the courthouse for about seven hours. I guess if you don’t count the 1.5 hours travel time, it was less than a day.
    Oh I hear you, but at the expense of justice sending an innocent person to jail because a witness can't afford to come forward?

-LD

You can be subpoenaed to testify in a court case and while there are a few exceptions
    to that subpoena you must appear.

Funny thing is as a witness you get paid nothing but if you are testifying as an EXPERT WITNESS you get good money.
    Kinda what I thought to be honest... So they're essentially fucked financially for participating in whatever investigation?

-LD

As papershredder said, witnesses are generally not compensated because of their active involvement in the case. Usually, the prosecutor can determine the timeframe that a witness will most likely be called to testify, so it doesn't adversely impact the witness's entire day.

Yeah,.............you don't even get any lunch money. :mad:
    So F'em then right? The 'poors' that witness the majority of real crimes can't afford to come forward then at the risk of losing a day's (or more) work salary?

-LD

I don't disagree with your sentiments- but I'd hope you'd see how "Mind your own business" is problematic to solving problems. For what it's worth, I was raised the same way and that's largely how I think as well but perhaps that isn't a great strategy either.

-LD

Some lost $$$ isn’t the real risk. The perp getting revenge when the legal system releases him is the problem.

If I ever publicly differ with a “public safety” government edict, I expect the costs and time spent awaiting trial in jail to bankrupt me and leave my family homeless. Then I expect a “sorry, we’ve got nothing, you are free to go”. The legal system rarely produces justice, and is often counter productive for the serfs.

If one can’t afford to miss a day or five of work, they’re not fucked financially for participating, they’re fucked financially from making shitty money decisions in their entire life.
    Respectfully- I hear you but your comment seems to ignore that there’s a large and growing portion of our population that are financially fucked as you said.

Hence the question- a disproportionate number of crimes occur in ‘impoverished’ areas with folks that witness the crime.

Are these people who can’t miss a single day of work as they’re scrapping and clawing to carve their way into the world or are they just fucked if they get called to testify in court as a material witness? And if so- does the hive mind believe that’s right?

-LD

Respectfully- I hear you but your comment seems to ignore that there’s a large and growing portion of our population that are financially fucked as you said.

Hence the question- a disproportionate number of crimes occur in ‘impoverished’ areas with folks that witness the crime.

Are these people who can’t miss a single day of work as they’re scrapping and clawing to carve their way into the world or are they just fucked if they get called to testify in court as a material witness? And if so- does the hive mind believe that’s right?

-LD
    Those people don’t have jobs to miss.

I've been here long enough to recognize that's a popular response here in the Pit, but my post wasn't nearly long enough to warrant that gif. If you don't have the capacity to read a 200 word post- that's on you not me.

But maybe look into your attention capacity sometime...

-LD
    You're not wrong, but it makes me laugh and you glow.

Reactions: Makinchips208
    I can't say it is the case elsewhere, but, I was subpoenaed a number of times to testify for one side or the other in various lawsuits and serious injury traffic and criminal cases. Generally there was a witness fee, usually about $40, accompanying the subpoena which we were required by policy to turn over to the districts sundries fund. I then testified on department time.

Reactions: LuckyDuck
    Those people don’t have jobs to miss.
    But they do...

What I'm personally hearing is "fuck the poors" you got "your's" and if they didn't then that's their own GD fault. And to your credit there might be some merit to that mindset.

I can only speak to my personal experience but in the 90's I remember going through an old coal town that my father grew up in. We'd come up for St. Patricks Day, Memorial Day, and Veterans Day without fail for decades up until recently. 20 years or so ago my father couldn't help himself every time/every year- and he pointed out which house the gas station guy had, the house the Italian Restaurant owner had, the house coal miner 'X' had, the house the town's seamstress had... 60 years ago.

And there's the problem. We have an entire society of hard workers that certain folks say "don't deserve a house" and yet are reliant on those positions being filled and the services they provide. We all expect someone to make our "McMuffins" in the morning but for some reason don't expect the folks that staff said McDonalds to be able to afford even the most basic of apartments because "they should be poor" for whatever reason. Be a poor but you'd damn well better have my breakfast ready servant!

Why should someone that works in a grocery store be allowed to own a house right? I mean you can't function without them being there to 'check out' but that's due to poor life choices on their end. After-all you got "your's" and if nobody else you interact with that was able to achieve the same thing, whelp it's likely due to a lack of education & poor life choices and they probably just need to wake up and "pull themselves up from their bootstraps" like you did right? ;)

-LD

Last edited:
    I said that a bit tongue in cheek, but their are scenarios I would not see squat.

Thanks for the justice laugh.

And there's the problem. We have an entire society of hard workers that certain folks say "don't deserve a house" and yet are reliant on those positions being filled and the services they provide. We all expect someone to make our "McMuffins" in the morning but for some reason don't expect the folks that staff said McDonalds to be able to afford even the most basic of apartments because "they should be poor" for whatever reason. Be a poor but you'd damn well better have my breakfast ready servant!
    Its called the land of opportunity not the land of entitlement.

Company I used to work for would pay you to attend court as a witness if you were subpoenaed. Like providing a copy of your jury duty summons to be paid your regular wage, you had to provide a copy of the subpoena to be paid.

I don't recall ever hearing of anyone being called as a witness but lots of people doing jury duty.

So this one day I was driving through this shitty neighborhood where “Bob” is the store clerk in this shitty gas station. I pulls my BMW M5 into said shitty station and proceed to go inside to buy some cheap wine for this hot whore I’m going to see , that my wife don’t know about. While inside, this hood rat rolls in, and tells ole Bob, money or your life muthafucka. The shit hole place Bob works in doesn’t have the bulletproof glass in place to keep said hood rat from bustin a cap up in Bob’s ass, cause we all know the bullet proof glass costs too much to put in to keep the employees safe. Owner McDuff over in the other side of town makin bank selling roses in glass tubes to all the clientele, doesn’t care ole Bob is unsafe in his establishment. Ole Bob catches a round that makes him a cripple for his remaining miserable days on earth.

So getting back to me….I see Mr Hoodrat dressed in the hoodrat clothing of choice. Black on black with black mask. Only thing is, hoodrat McDuff ain’t so smart….hence why he be rippin off the quickie stop gas station. He has the sleeves up on his black hoodie and while I’m standing there shitting my pants at all the violence I’m witnessing I notice ole hoodrat has the most colorful distinct tattoo on both his arms. One that I could ABSOLUTELY identify again if I saw them.

Officer Pig (which many here like to call them) arrives after the fact and says they caught a hoodrat nearby matching the description of said perp. Wants to bring him by to do a show up. If I can ID him, ole Bob could likely find a lawyer at Dooey, Cheatum and Howe to get some lawsuits goin against hood rat, owner , and anyone else and justice could be served.

But guess what…..I ant got time for this shit….i didn’t see shit!

So fuck it….dont go to jury duty or witness for court….

What goes around….comes around.

So this one day I was driving through this shitty neighborhood where “Bob” is the store clerk in this shitty gas station. I pulls my BMW M5 into said shitty station and proceed to go inside to buy some cheap wine for this hot whore I’m going to see , that my wife don’t know about. While inside, this hood rat rolls in, and tells ole Bob, money or your life muthafucka. The shit hole place Bob works in doesn’t have the bulletproof glass in place to keep said hood rat from bustin a cap up in Bob’s ass, cause we all know the bullet proof glass costs too much to put in to keep the employees safe. Owner McDuff over in the other side of town makin bank selling roses in glass tubes to all the clientele, doesn’t care ole Bob is unsafe in his establishment. Ole Bob catches a round that makes him a cripple for his remaining miserable days on earth.

So getting back to me….I see Mr Hoodrat dressed in the hoodrat clothing of choice. Black on black with black mask. Only thing is, hoodrat McDuff ain’t so smart….hence why he be rippin off the quickie stop gas station. He has the sleeves up on his black hoodie and while I’m standing there shitting my pants at all the violence I’m witnessing I notice ole hoodrat has the most colorful distinct tattoo on both his arms. One that I could ABSOLUTELY identify again if I saw them.

Officer Pig (which many here like to call them) arrives after the fact and says they caught a hoodrat nearby matching the description of said perp. Wants to bring him by to do a show up. If I can ID him, ole Bob could likely find a lawyer at Dooey, Cheatum and Howe to get some lawsuits goin against hood rat, owner , and anyone else and justice could be served.

You could have put ol hoodrat Mcduff in a rear naked choke.

• Haha
    Reactions: sgtsmmiii

You are a disgusting human being

If one can’t afford to miss a day or five of work, they’re not fucked financially for participating, they’re fucked financially from making shitty money decisions in their entire life.
    So they should be subject to the court system making it worse?