• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range bag recomendations

dreever

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2004
Michaux State Forest Adams County Pa.
Decided to buy a real decent range bag to haul two handguns, two sets of eye and ear protections, ammo, and whatever else I might need. Thought this would be an easy task but after looking at a bunch online and reading the pro's and con's am still pretty much in the dark. Looking at the local brick and mortar stores there is nothing I'd consider to be outstanding. I want to buy once so quality is the operative word.
What do you guys recommend?

Danny

Don't get black, things are harder to find, I use a Midway range bag, it's a cheap Chicom nock off and mine is falling apart from abuse, when it's finally destroyed I'm getting one of these, CED Deluxe Professional Range Bag

Quality is in the material and the zippers and the CED bag is very well made. I have the one that Dillon was selling years ago and it has held up well. Mine is about 18 years old, gets used 2-3 times a month, and the only issue I have had is the stitching on one of the handles pulled loose. My wife was able to get it back together.

I picked up a great one at a gun show for a small price that is tough and will do all that and more. Think that the price was 40.00 or so.

I bought the 5.11 Range Ready Bag a few months back and like it. When I was looking for a new range bag, most of them seemed too small for all of my gear so I opted for this one. The first thing I did was toss the removable inner bag(takes up too much space for nothing). The one thing that I don't like about the bag is that it has metal D rings for the shoulder strap to attach to but the clips on the shoulder strap are plastic, otherwise it seems to be very well built/designed.

G.P.S. outdoors. Awesome bags. Was just at the factory today. Some impressive bags

Surprised not mentioned here already--but Dillon makes an awesome range bag along with extra square handgun cases that fit inside and in the side pockets. They come with a plastic divider where if you go with bulk ammo you can dump empties on the other side and keep things separated as the loaded side diminishes and the hulls increase.

Color options are minimal. When I got my first one lovely baby blue was the only choice. Got it when I worked for a Dillon dealer back in college in early mid-90's. Now I know they have at least black and maroon. Great bags. My blue one has been many ipsc and sporting clays matches back in the day and hundreds of trips to the range since. Always over packed and heavily loaded--never an issue one.

0007617497484_500X500.jpg

this is what I use, $15 at walmart. may upgrade eventually, but this works pretty well.

Who doesn't like to save a buck or two.
This subject comes up every now and then. Last time I remember somebody said that the cheap tool bags from Home Depot work pretty well. My experience; leaving the range one day and my thrifty nifty range bag/tool bag/gym bag split down the seam dumping half my shit on to the parking lot - in the rain. Maybe it's just me but thinking about how much money I'd saved by buying that bag didn't cross my mind at the time.
I paid out the ass for a Maxpidition Centurion and I beat it like a rented mule. I'd say it weighs in at about 40 to 50 lbs on an average range trip. It's about 4 years old and still doing fine. So far I'm fine with not having to explain why my bag broke and dumped my junk on the ground.

B

Competition Shooters Bag from Tactical Tailor. Best bag I've put my hands on specifically designed for the purpose of being used as a range bag. Wait for them to go on sale to bring your cost down. Good materials, good quality construction, great company to deal with.

Competition Shooter's Bag

015348f60d047cb8d38ad375befc69bf.jpg

Maxpedition also makes some good quality offerings as well, though they tend to me multi-purpose type bags.

Last edited:
I've been using my 20 year old tool box. I camo painted it, and it's perfect...has room for gun tools and stuff up top and sandbags, ammo, and pistols and targets on bottom. Only downside is I had to buy a new tool box for my tools...

Well, first i want to thank all for thier suggestions and replies to help me make a decision.
I considered the Midway bags but did not select them mainly because of Midway's very high shipping prices, which are high I expect for a reason. The reason in my opinion is to get you to spend $150.00 or more to get free shipping, which is ok if you are planning on buying more in the first place, but if you aren't it's a sneaky way to get you to increase your order. Just my opinion.
I took Suckittrebeck's advice since I agree for my useage I didn't need to spend a lot of money. I then was split between the Voodoo Tactical Scorpion and the Uncle Mikes bag both available from Amazon with free shipping. I decided to go with the Voodoo just because I could get it in more colors than just black based on 427 Cobra's recommendation that it's easier to find stuff in a lighter color so I chose the Coyote Brown version.
When i get the bag I'll post here if I think I made a wise decision or not. If not, I'm only out $53.00 and some change.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Danny

Well, first i want to thank all for thier suggestions and replies to help me make a decision.
I considered the Midway bags but did not select them mainly because of Midway's very high shipping prices, which are high I expect for a reason. The reason in my opinion is to get you to spend $150.00 or more to get free shipping, which is ok if you are planning on buying more in the first place, but if you aren't it's a sneaky way to get you to increase your order. Just my opinion.
I took Suckittrebeck's advice since I agree for my useage I didn't need to spend a lot of money. I then was split between the Voodoo Tactical Scorpion and the Uncle Mikes bag both available from Amazon with free shipping. I decided to go with the Voodoo just because I could get it in more colors than just black based on 427 Cobra's recommendation that it's easier to find stuff in a lighter color so I chose the Coyote Brown version.
When i get the bag I'll post here if I think I made a wise decision or not. If not, I'm only out $53.00 and some change.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Danny
The Voodoo Tactical range bags (and gun cases) are good for the money, but if you carry a lot of ammo and guns frequently they're not going to hold up as well as heavier-duty cases. If and when you wear-out the Scorpion bag you should look into the Elite Survival Systems Range Bag - available in 3 sizes (formerly marketed under Assault Systems, then Shooting Systems). I've had a Medium Range Bag for about twenty years. On the Medium and Large Range Bags there are two interior zip pockets that hold two handguns each, and each pocket has a removable closed cell foam divider that can be used as a mat so you don't have to set your guns down on the dirt, rocks, concrete, ect. The Medium and Large Range Bags also feature adjustable partitions and removable elastic magazine holders.

The waterproof sealing inside my bag dried-up and flaked-off about 10 years ago, and the ballistic material of the outside pocket abraded and wore-through from years of tools and square corners rubbing on the inside of the pocket but it's the heaviest duty range bag I've ever come across. It's built much stronger than Voodoo, Midway, Tactical Tailor, and 5.11 and easily hauled hundreds of rounds of rifle and pistol ammo on a regular basis. I'm going to order another Medium Bag because of the torn outside pocket of my Medium bag. Hopefully the quality is the same as when I bought my first Assault Systems Range Bags and gun cases long ago.

Keith

I can second the Tactical Tailor bag. I have been using it for almost 3 years and it is holding up perfectly. It is perfect for a day at the range with a few pistols, or going out with a rifle with all associated gear. It easily reconfigures for anything I need.

I use a backpack. It started out life as a medical pack. Plenty of zippered pouches to hold tools, small stuff etc. I keep all the tools I would need at the range for fixing little shit, mounting scopes, adjusting triggers etc. Plenty of room for other stuff. It gives me an extra set of hands when loading and toting stuff. If I go to the range it comes with me as I have everything there in one place.

I have range bags from Galati, which I still use but for smaller tasks. I huge one from Bagmaster that is really overlarge and a medium sized Eagle. The Eagle gets used a ton. No complaints.

I have a bag that was issued to me in the military. I used to carry my handguns and ammo and muffs on my body before I got this, but now that I own this bag I couldnt be more happier. It took me 20 minutes to find it on google so you're practically obligated to buy it now lol. LBT Co. multi-cam Go Bag. This bag is very durable, has velcro all over the inside to attach anything you want or to provide a soft cushion for your handguns. The main zipper is extremely tough and well made. The buckle for the outside flap while plastic hasnt broke on me yet, I doubt youll ever break it unless you decide to use it for target practice. Its got magazine pouches on the outside for an AR-15, and everytime I take my AR out, my pistols are coming, so I like that feature. Its in multi cam, so it can be used in a tactical environment, and since its not black you wont have a hard time finding the contents on the bag.

I carry a 5 in. SIG 1911 and a Glock 19 in their holsetrs in my bag, with multiple magazine and ear muffs. The flap that goes over the exterior has a clear plastic liner on the inside, like an "admin poch". I put a notepad, sharpie, pens, and pencils in there. You could slide your phone and wallet into that flap also, so you can fit your mags in your pockets while on the range. You can fit a few boxes of ammo in there with all that, but truthfully it will get heavy. I carry all my ammo in a 5.56 ammo can, its a lot easier than trying to cram everything in that one bag. And since its a go bag, it can be used in that role. I have two of them so one is a go bag, and one is a range bag. I'm not sure of the MSRP for it since I got mine for free, but it seems to be around $60. I've used a backpack before and while they can hold more stuff, it sucks ass having to pull out everything to get to whatever is at the very bottom of the bag. Just be careful carrying both a Glock and 1911 in the same bag. It can be a dangerous combination.

Last edited:
I just picked up the Tactical Tailor competition range bag during their founders day sale and I am very impressed with it. The quality seems excellent and the layout is very functional. I wouldn't have bought it at full price but figured at 30% off I'd give a try. If this one ever wears out though I will definitely consider it again, even at full price.

Have 2 Midway bags---lg and small and a Dillon bag depending on how many guns are making the trip
Always use separate ammo bag---large Snap-On and Matco tool bags that can take extreme weight