• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Bag / Tool Organization

Rangerbob33

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Nebraska
Whats everyone doing for tool organization for the range? I have a Midway backpack that I use but I'm tired of digging through it to find what I need. I usually bring my Magneto-speed, range finder, Kestrel, data book, bags, ammo, extra mags, small cleaning kit, Borka tools, scope tools complete set of metric and SAE Allen keys, scope lens cleaning tool and a few other things I'm forgetting.

I’ve got a 5.11 patrol bag in use for my range bag. Holds tools, targets, cones, mags, etc. Can support weight and being thrown around in a vehicle, highly recommended.

I use a 5.11 Rush 24, quality bag for the money.. I also quit taking a whole bunch of extra stuff to the range that I don’t really need.. usually it’s just rifle, ammo, 2 mags, depending on what I’m doing that range session. I like to keep it simple

A small zipper bag to hold all the tools I’d need. They are about $3 from Walmart. I think they call them a zippered utility pouch. Keeps them all together and not leaking down to the bottom of the range bag/backpack.

Reactions: Rangerbob33
In my backpack I have a outer pocket that is a dedicated tool and cleaning pocket. Tools are kept in a couple of pouches that I can just pull out if needed. If I use a different bag I just switch the pouches over to the new bag. Works well for me.

Range Bag:
Either a MR 3DAP (currently using) or Eberlestock GS2 (wife is currently using).

Tool Kit:
Spiritus SACK fanny pack for all field tools and equipment. If it can’t fit in there, then it isn’t needed in a range bag. Here’s how I have the SACK organized:

Outer pouch:
-Rite-N-Rain notebook (data and range card templates/notes)
-marker, pencil, 3x map pens, eraser map pen, alcohol wipes

Outer pouch strap:
-NAR CAT

Large pouch:
-Fix-it sticks pouch w/ tools/bits (for every bolt on rifle and scope)
-Spuhr leveling wedge
-FDAC w/ custom laminated removable Data/range cards velcroed on
-lens pen
-NF lens cloth
-small NAR trauma shears
-clear overlay paper plastic sheet (for obj lens if it is cloudy and raining)
-HD rubber band

Anything other than what you’d need in the field can stay in your vehicle, in sort of a repair or tool kit. This is small enough to serve as something you can strap on, go, and be all you need outside of an ammunition source.

Reactions: MSTN
Borka tools kit and their sectioned cleaning rod in one of the end pockets of my range bag. It has all the bits I need, and I have a rod in case somone sticks a case. The whole thing takes up a space the size of a set of 10x binos.

I keep going back and forth between pack with scabbard and back pack with rifle on sling. Trying to minimize things not needed...

You may laugh but my wife decided that I was carrying way too much whenever I went to the range. She was right. It was a PITA for sure but I like bringing all conceivable things when I go. I have been caught too many times w/o the right tool because it wasn't in my GSII backpack or my range bag or my drag bag....

She bought me a RIGID box setup that is 3 boxes that stack on each other. The bottom box is the largest and is wheeled. At first, I thought it ridiculous. She pad $85 for the whole thing at Home Depot. I said, let me try to pack my stuff in them....Well what a dream. I fit stuff in that I couldn't before.

I can haul everything I need including a variety of bags, tools, cleaning stuff, everything....and I don't have to carry shit. I just wheel it in.

Greatest thing I ever saw and all three boxes were $85....

Disclaimer: Ive had a few so this is bound to get way longer then necessary.

compartmentalized.

Tool Bag: I have a small soft sided cordless drill bag (no drill just use bag) that I put all my tools in. Hex, star, both imperial and metric. Wrenches, hammers, punches, small scope levels, screw drivers, etc. etc. etc. If I have EVER used or needed it; one is in there.

Cleaning kit: Small basic but full functional kleaning kit. Brushes, solvent, oil patches, jags snakes, ect. ect. ect. I drop my carbon fiber rod on the back seat just in case.

Pistol Range bag. Small double zipper pouch. Pistol ammo in one side and eyes, ears, maglula ect. ect in the other. Outer pocket full of 8.5 x 11" printed targets. Streatchy, both ends, mesh pockets full of foam ear plugs.

Rifles go in hard sided cases and ammo comes in large ammo boxes.

I like to be prepared. I very often help others who have issues. I will take good Karma points any chance I can. Cant tell you how many time I hand out ear plugs because people forget them. New guys mounting scopes.... NEVER NEVER have scope levels. I do. Its good Karma. I Bring a calibrated fat wrench kit with a bit for every type of scope ring screw know to man. Saw a guy who bought a $1000 Luepold and mounted it 90 degrees counter clockwise and reefed the scope rings down until they touched each other. **yikes** I explained the 20 inch/Lb thing and handed him my levels and my fat wrench.

The god rays were visible for miles and the good Karma just flowed into me like a slurpee into a fat kid. I was truly blessed that day.

Last edited:
You may laugh but my wife decided that I was carrying way too much whenever I went to the range. She was right. It was a PITA for sure but I like bringing all conceivable things when I go. I have been caught too many times w/o the right tool because it wasn't in my GSII backpack or my range bag or my drag bag....

She bought me a RIGID box setup that is 3 boxes that stack on each other. The bottom box is the largest and is wheeled. At first, I thought it ridiculous. She pad $85 for the whole thing at Home Depot. I said, let me try to pack my stuff in them....Well what a dream. I fit stuff in that I couldn't before.

I can haul everything I need including a variety of bags, tools, cleaning stuff, everything....and I don't have to carry shit. I just wheel it in.

I’m going to take a look at these. I’ve been wanting one box with everything in it, that I can just slide off the shelf and throw it in the truck. Throw the rifle and ammo in the truck and leave.

I’m thinking I like this idea. I’ve been thinking for a while of getting a box that I can put all my stuff in, and have it organized. A box that I can just unload and put on a shelf in the garage when I get back from the range. But I wasn’t sure what to get. I’m going to go look at these and see if it will do what I want it to do. I have one of those big Midway shooting bags, and a couple small bags, and they are just a pain.

Reactions: Nik H and Sumoj275
Anyone try the Magpul Daka pouches for tools?

I use Daka pouches for sets of copies of all my class 3 paperwork in each range bag and occasionally for loose ammo. I have a smaller one I use for my wallet/phone/keys on the boat. At this point I’m not using them for tools. I have their Daka bifold wallet that is indestructible. There are cheaper zippered pouches available at Home Depot or elsewhere for non Magpul fanboys, but mine do work well for me.

The never ending quest of setting up a range kit. Haha!

One cheap option for tool bags is Home Depot sells a 3 pack of nylon tool bags, different sized and are robust.
examples

I’m going to take a look at these. I’ve been wanting one box with everything in it, that I can just slide off the shelf and throw it in the truck. Throw the rifle and ammo in the truck and leave.

I’m thinking I like this idea. I’ve been thinking for a while of getting a box that I can put all my stuff in, and have it organized. A box that I can just unload and put on a shelf in the garage when I get back from the range. But I wasn’t sure what to get. I’m going to go look at these and see if it will do what I want it to do. I have one of those big Midway shooting bags, and a couple small bags, and they are just a pain.

Give it a try...don't take the tags off in case you don't like it

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
I think I'm just going the drag bag route. Right now I feel I lug too many bags (2-3max) when I go to the range.

I have one of these Rigid rolling boxes that I use for my leather work supplies, tools, and fittings. Works great and now thinking about another one for the range thanks to you.

Reactions: Nik H

I'm glad you mentioned this, my last time at the range I was digging around my bag for tools, etc. and took me a while to dig through everything to find what I needed. I had just bought a hard box organizer for my electrical tools at home, I love it for its organization and I thought, if they made something a little bigger - that would be ideal for an organized range bag. Don't know if I need a wheeled one, but one with a nice handle, I'll have to go check them out again. Thanks for sharing Nik.

Just bought a tool bag from harbor freight. Figured I'd get one there to try out since they are pretty cheap. So far I like it. Keeps my stuff organized and it's way easier to find stuff than in a backpack.

After nine matches this season, my current load out is one ruck + one soft rifle case (placed in a hard case for travel). I started with a toolbox, range bag, pack, and rifle case.

After nine matches this season, my current load out is one ruck + one soft rifle case (placed in a hard case for travel). I started with a toolbox, range bag, pack, and rifle case.
Which ruck (Brand...etc). Pics would be helpful.

I am currently trying to decide on a ruck. I currently use the MR Coulee 40 Liter. It is too large for my needs. My shooting partner has gone to the 5.11 Rush 12 with two outside pouches. I don't like it because it has no fame support.

Which ruck (Brand...etc). Pics would be helpful.

Since I had some spare home office time, here's the setup of my rifle / PRS support bag. This is stuff that ALWAYS stays in this pack, and quite a few things I started the season with have been eliminated, and a few items added. That said, for the past several matches, I haven't found myself needing something I didn't have or having something bulky I didn't need.

Pack: Triple Aught Design Fast Pack EDC (current gen)

Outside the pack:
- chamber flag, carabiner, Triad Tactical shooting mat

Inside clamshell flap of pack:
- barrel fan, kestrel, wrist board with markers and wipes, gloves, Stop The Bleed kit.

Pack contents (bottom picture):
- Top row left to right: Warehorse Comanche bag, DOPE book, 5.11 6x6 w/ Sig Kilo 3000, two ARC mags, stuff sack with a quick dry towel, zip lock bags, Frogg Toggs cooling towel
- Bottom row left to right: Cole-Tac ammo novel, GORUCK bag with tools, sunscreen, batteries, and other misc items, Cole-Tac dump pouch (NRL swag), rain cover for scope/action, and finally on the bottom, a sling.

Not pictured:
- First aid kit and bipod in the interior pack pockets.

There is ample space in the pack for wet/cold gear, snacks for the day, and other possible necessities. When I show up to a match, the dump pouch goes on the belt, kestrel in the pocket, Kilo 3000 on the tripod, so I have additional space in the pack while on the course. Also, lots of Multicam black because it's OAF.

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

Since I had some spare home office time, here's the setup of my rifle / PRS support bag. This is stuff that ALWAYS stays in this pack, and quite a few things I started the season with have been eliminated, and a few items added. That said, for the past several matches, I haven't found myself needing something I didn't have or having something bulky I didn't need.

Pack: Triple Aught Design Fast Pack EDC (current gen)

Outside the pack:
- chamber flag, carabiner, Triad Tactical shooting mat

Inside clamshell flap of pack:
- barrel fan, kestrel, wrist board with markers and wipes, gloves, Stop The Bleed kit.

Pack contents (bottom picture):
- Top row left to right: Warehorse Comanche bag, DOPE book, 5.11 6x6 w/ Sig Kilo 3000, two ARC mags, stuff sack with a quick dry towel, zip lock bags, Frogg Toggs cooling towel
- Bottom row left to right: Cole-Tac ammo novel, GORUCK bag with tools, sunscreen, batteries, and other misc items, Cole-Tac dump pouch (NRL swag), rain cover for scope/action, and finally on the bottom, a sling.

Not pictured:
- First aid kit and bipod in the interior pack pockets.

There is ample space in the pack for wet/cold gear, snacks for the day, and other possible necessities. When I show up to a match, the dump pouch goes on the belt, kestrel in the pocket, Kilo 3000 on the tripod, so I have additional space in the pack while on the course. Also, lots of Multicam black because it's OAF.

View attachment 7131054

View attachment 7131055

View attachment 7131056
Thank you good, Sir.

How do you carry the tripod? Lashed or Hand Carry?

I'm still trying to figure out a way to side mount my tripod when collapsed. I have some straps, but am not completely satisfied with the setup. During a match, I fold it up and just carry it.
I've looked at the Lowdrag II just for slipping a tripod leg in the scabbard then lashing with the compression straps.

Looking to get this thread started again because my gear is a mess. What have people found works for them? As much as I would like to replicate some of the deployment kits such as the AI or PSR, those seem to be expensive solutions.

Trying out a Gunslinger 2 this week.

Tac Ops drag bag and a HAWK bag so far.

I still use the RIGID stackable boxes from post #12

My issue is trunk space in the sedan that I typically use for shooting. I don’t want anything in the back seat, and I have an ARB 37 quart fridge that takes up half the trunk. I can fit my Pelican 1700 case on the floor next to the fridge and everything else has to go on top of it. There is a little space behind the fridge for a small range bag, but the fridge needs some airspace to operate. I’m using a Midway range bag for all the bits and ammo, and I have a fake pelican case for my spotting scope and mini tripod. Throw in a Midway shooting pad and the trunk is getting full, no way could I fit something like the rigid box set in there. I have a long bed diesel truck that will hold everything, but the 16 mpg of the truck is painful compared to the 41 mpg from my diesel car for the 600 miles I drive for work weekly.

Here is the space I have available in the car. That silver bar in the back of the trunk is about 41” back from the trunk opening.

AF6E3D96-AE50-4986-B583-6E9F9CB71617.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking to get this thread started again because my gear is a mess. What have people found works for them? As much as I would like to replicate some of the deployment kits such as the AI or PSR, those seem to be expensive solutions.
What type of gear are you having an issue with and have you tried any of the above recommended solutions? If so, what problems did you run into?

Last edited:
I use a Dillon range bag for CF and a Walmart fishing lure box for RF.

I normally shoot within 50 feet of my SUV and leave everything else there.

I've been looking for something too. Trying out a large duffel bag I had laying around at the moment that is working alright, I'd just like something more purpose designed with a little more organization.

I'm storing everything but my guns in the bag, and that's how I'd like to keep it. Spotting scope, tripod, few support bags, lab radar, mags, ammo, brass catcher, targets, stapler, ear pro, a few tools, range finding binos, kestrel. I think that's it.

The issue I run into with anything I've found available online is that my sporting scope is too long for any of the compartments. If I can hang the tripod on the outside of the bag on a molle or something that's fine.

The eblerstock bang bang looks good, but its a little too small.

I use an Eberlestock Halftrack for range/PRS backpack. Keep all my stuff in there. But I recently bought a few of these maxpedition gear pouches in different colors for different things, the different colors are great so I know which one I'm grabbing. In one I keep driver bits, allen wrenches, and a few sockets. Another is pencils, note pad, batteries, tape, stuff like that. and the other is small bottles of CLP, solvent, brushes, a rag, etc. They have a ton of different sizes https://www.maxpedition.com/collect...fatty-pocket-organizer?variant=12191270371399

The Halftrack has been great. One thing I love is it has 2 big pouches, you can see them on the sides in this picture. They hold a RRS TVC-34L with Anvil 30 head perfectly. And have lots of padding around them. The picture kinda sucks, it's just the only one on Eberlestock website you can see those 2 pouches.
F3ME_Top_Velcro_Web_1024x1024@2x.jpg

What type of gear are you having an issue with and have you tried any of the above recommended solutions? If so, what problems did you run into?
There are two main issues I am having.
I am looking for a better way to store my fix it sticks kit because after I pull it out of the range back all the torque limiters and bits have jumped around inside the pouch.
Other thing I am looking into is if it is practical to try and put together something like a deployment kit where i have a hard case with everything in there for a specific rifle.

There are two main issues I am having.
I am looking for a better way to store my fix it sticks kit because after I pull it out of the range back all the torque limiters and bits have jumped around inside the pouch.
Other thing I am looking into is if it is practical to try and put together something like a deployment kit where i have a hard case with everything in there for a specific rifle.

Ah ok. Well for the tool problem, I use a Spiritus Fanny SACK. Keeps all of my tools and bare minimum field kit all in one place. So the rifle won’t go anywhere without this and it’s small enough so it isn’t a burden. I outlined what’s inside of it in post #8 above. You can do this with any nylon zippered pouch just as easily and write on it with a marker to denote what system it is for. I used to do the whole "deployment kit" for the tools (as in the small pelican case that was just tools and optics/rifle spare parts) and toss that into my pack but the fanny pack lets me keep it on/close to me and I forget its even there. You can also keep tape/pasties/shoot-n-sees in it as well so you never forget them again after walking up to your target and realizing you left it all back on the bench lol

If you mean a deployment kit as in the whole kitchen sink of gear like the ASR has with it, then that's a different story. Honestly those are really just for going from armory to armory when hand-carried en route to theater. The whole case/kit just sits in the armory/team room/hootch and you just toss what you're taking with into your pack. Biggest thing I'd recommend is just going with a small daypack (for ammo, binos, mags, tripod, tool kit, etc) and then hand carrying the rifle with a scope & crown cover on it. Takes up way less room in your vehicle and while on the line at the range. Plus everything is ready to go and within arms reach when you're on the gun. The scope and crown cover is more than enough protection for modern day systems, be it up and down mountains or just in the trunk/truck bed. ...And will definitely help protect you turrets/glass when some bumbling idiot bumps into your stuff and knocks it over. #AskMeHowIKnow #TheLineIsColdWhyAreYouWalkingAroundAtTheBenchesWithYourRifleCaseAndHittingPeoplesShitYouFuck

But if you're dead set on the hard-sided case like what AI has with their kits, find the smallest pelican case that will work for your system and then buy a few sheets of 2" closed-cell (polyethylene) foam. With a straight edge, sharp kitchen knife, and a white/grey marker, you can set your stuff up exactly the same. If you don't want to go the hard-sided case route, then grab yourself a quality drag bag.

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak
Ah ok. Well for the tool problem, I use a Spiritus Fanny SACK. Keeps all of my tools and bare minimum field kit all in one place. So the rifle won’t go anywhere without this and it’s small enough so it isn’t a burden. I outlined what’s inside of it in post #8 above. You can do this with any nylon zippered pouch just as easily and write on it with a marker to denote what system it is for. I used to do the whole "deployment kit" for the tools (as in the small pelican case that was just tools and optics/rifle spare parts) and toss that into my pack but the fanny pack lets me keep it on/close to me and I forget its even there. You can also keep tape/pasties/shoot-n-sees in it as well so you never forget them again after walking up to your target and realizing you left it all back on the bench lol

If you mean a deployment kit as in the whole kitchen sink of gear like the ASR has with it, then that's a different story. Honestly those are really just for going from armory to armory when hand-carried en route to theater. The whole case/kit just sits in the armory/team room/hootch and you just toss what you're taking with into your pack. Biggest thing I'd recommend is just going with a small daypack (for ammo, binos, mags, tripod, tool kit, etc) and then hand carrying the rifle with a scope & crown cover on it. Takes up way less room in your vehicle and while on the line at the range. Plus everything is ready to go and within arms reach when you're on the gun. The scope and crown cover is more than enough protection for modern day systems, be it up and down mountains or just in the trunk/truck bed. ...And will definitely help protect you turrets/glass when some bumbling idiot bumps into your stuff and knocks it over. #AskMeHowIKnow #TheLineIsColdWhyAreYouWalkingAroundAtTheBenchesWithYourRifleCaseAndHittingPeoplesShitYouFuck

But if you're dead set on the hard-sided case like what AI has with their kits, find the smallest pelican case that will work for your system and then buy a few sheets of 2" closed-cell (polyethylene) foam. With a straight edge, sharp kitchen knife, and a white/grey marker, you can set your stuff up exactly the same. If you don't want to go the hard-sided case route, then grab yourself a quality drag bag.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to have a look at those Spiritus pouches later today. I'm going to do an inventory of my range gear and how I organize everything later this weekend and post it here for some feedback.

As to the "deployment kit" I think that might be a bit of a misnomer. I don't plan to go as extensive as the ASR system since I don't have multiple barrels and nearly the amount of stuff. This would be more of a travel case where I can have rifle, mags, cleaning kit, tools, and a soft case in the lid. I've seen how my cases have been handled by TSA and baggage handlers so I don't have a lot of comfort in just throwing my rifle in a drag bag and throwing the drag bag in a hard case. I envision using it like you said in your post. Organize everything for the travel, then put what I need in a drag bag (currently have the AG 2010 bag and Triad drag bag) while leaving the case behind.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I kept going to the range and forgetting stuff because I was loading things and moving them around. This was my solution. It is a Husky Rolling tool chest from Home Depot. I believe it was $40. I have bags, my chronograph, range finder, first aid kit, tool kits, at least one magazine for every rifle and so on. All I have to do is grab the ammo can with my ammo and I’m good to go.
B665A2BA-87BB-4C62-BC63-F8A7905A74B6.jpeg
8B9BE464-7F10-495F-9C89-A486F6F63F31.jpeg
73669E96-444A-46BE-8661-A22C6B2ED542.jpeg

Are the lids on that box customizable? Like, do the dividers move around like fishing tackle box dividers?

Are the lids on that box customizable? Like, do the dividers move around like fishing tackle box dividers?

Yes they are. It came with a whole bunch of different size dividers And you can make all kinds of configurations. I’m also thinking about mounting a 12” wide roll of craft paper inside the box and just use that and target dots for my targets. Right now I have an artist portfolio that I keep all my targets in. It lives in my truck though so it isn’t something I ever leave at home so it hasn’t been a big priority. It would be pretty easy to put some kind of divider system inside as well. I don’t really need to so haven’t messed with it yet.

Sweet. Thanks. I'll have to run by home depot. I checked Lowes but they didn't have anything that looked that good.

I used a wheeled tool cart like seen above. But man, it's a bummer to have so much stuff, and the cart just added to the bulk. Plus, I left it in the SUV, where is took up space for impromptu hauling.

I finally ruthlessly reduced my load, the biggest weight savings came from forgoing a heavy rest (ie. rests I've tried: a huge x-shaped sandbag that was 14lbs. and then I moved to a typical tripod metal benchrest type). Instead, I am using a bipod (shooting from the bench). I walk from the car with this on my back: https://redrockoutdoorgear.com/traveler-duffle-pack/

1588214460079.png

It's not ultimate quality, but it's doing the job. I don't use the dividers; they zip out of the way. I carry my rifle(s) in my hand/over shoulders. Range time is much more enjoyable. I leave stuff I may use, but usually don't, in the car.

I also noticed Maxpedition offers a damn-near-identical-yet-hilariously-named FLIEGERDUFFEL ADVENTURE BAG, for significantly more money. No internal dividers looks to be the main diff: https://www.maxpedition.com/products/fliegerduffel-adventure-bag?variant=28117606161

Edit: wait, wait, that's not the Maxpedition bag I meant to link to. This one is the same damn bag as the Redrock, only for ~$125 more! It's this one: https://www.maxpedition.com/products/doppelduffel-adventure-bag?variant=16273209098311

Sheesh.

Last edited:
I’m still just tossing everything in a craftsman tool bag.
It’s starting to fall apart and it’s time to replace it.

I have got to ask this: Why do you feel the need to carry all that stuff to the range? Me its the gun,ammo and forend rest and rear bag then a very few tools such as a a small wrench for the scope rings (to help others that might need this) and hearing protection.

We are not going to "war" just shooting at the range.

I have got to ask this: Why do you feel the need to carry all that stuff to the range?
We are not going to "war" just shooting at the range.
Depending on where you shoot lots more than that may well be necessary for range time. Where I usually go I need a staple gun for sure. Spotting scope is nice but not always needed. If I'm doing any load development then I'll probably have 2 tripods, the chrony, etc etc.
If just going to run some known ammo at a range where you don't hang your own targets sure just grab the rifle and earplugs but I suspect that doesn't apply to a lot of us here
Heck when I get to go shoot longer range (500yds for me) it's an hour and a half drive and I have to take my steel targets & stand. We load the utv on a trailer for that too :cool:

I always forget something... I just throw everything in the back of the Tahoe and hope I can live without the thing I'm forgetting this week...