• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Bag

surprise

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
There are several threads here about soft cases, drag bag's etc. Haven't seen much in the way of Range bags. My less than well built Midway bag is about done. Looking for a decent sized bag that might hold up a bit better than the Midway comp range bag. Prefer USA made.

Agree with the 5.11 range ready bag. I have been running it for 2 yeahs now for single action shooting. Holds plenty of 44mag, 357 and 12 gauge real easy, and has a nice bag for spent brass

Strictly range bag or for matches as well?

R
I have a pack I use for matches but I take my range bag with me to hold backup gear and stuff to finish my load out depending on the conditions and type of match. I usually keep my extra kit in there. For the Range I use it exclusively. I don't normally take a pack or another bag for extra stuff, I just fill up the range bag.

Reactions: Rthur
Nobody makes the bag I want, and I don't know why. My list of requirements doesn't seem extreme:
  • No external markings to indicate that pistols are inside, or in fact that anything valuable is inside.
  • Zippers that can be locked completely closed [oddly, this feature is the one that's most often missing].
  • Waterproof, abrasion-resistant underside -- something like plasti-dip or bedliner material -- or at least metal feet at the corners to keep the wear to a minimum.
  • A light-colored interior so I can see the bag's contents.
  • Made in the USA.

Last edited:
Nobody makes the bag I want, and I don't know why. My list of requirements doesn't seem extreme:
  • No external markings to indicate that pistols are inside, or in fact that anything valuable is inside.
  • Zippers that can be locked completely closed [oddly, this feature is the one that's most often missing].
  • Waterproof, abrasion-resistant underside -- something like plasti-dip or bedliner material -- or at least metal feet at the corners to keep the wear to a minimum.
  • Made in the USA.

No shit right! That sounds just about perfect.

Not a bad idea. I saw a guy at the range the other day with a Husky tool bag from Home Depot. Thought it was a good idea if I could find the Right internal organization.

I use a tool bag....Only criteria it doesn't meet is the locking zipper.
https://www.carhartt.com/products/Legacy-16-Tool-Bag-with-Molded-Base-261407
Thanks! I've looked at tool bags for this purpose, but the ones I saw weren't nearly as nice as the one you linked.

You're right; it's perfect except for the zipper. But I don't need the bag to be super-secure -- if someone can get in with a knife or a pair of pliers, that's fine -- so maybe there's an easy way to add a lock.

@smoothy8500, do you own that particular bag? In the photos, it looks as though there's a bit of cord or ribbon looped through a hole in the end of the metal zipper pull -- is that right? If a loop were sewn to the side of the bag, do you think the zipper could be held closed with a little padlock?

I use a Rigid box. I do not have the model number, but most Home Depot stores carry them. Looks like a big tackle box. It is lockable, O ring sealed, and you can stack and lock them together. Very strong too. You can sit on them or use them as a shooting prop.

Bang

I use a Husky bag from Home Depot. A buddy of mine has the Carhart and it's better based on the features you were asking for. I'll get one to replace the Husky. However, as much as it gets used it isn't showing any signs of wearing out anytime soon.

that Sherpa is a good looking bag, have you put hands on one yet?

I have it for my range bag for hand guns. Smallish, but very functional and fits my needs. Good bag.

The only requirement that I think these meet is no telling logo...

I have 2 "Red Rock Outdoor Gear" range bags that I got from Amazon when they were more money than they are now. Not crazy about the external AR mag pockets since I rarely put AR mags in them unless we are headed to an indoor range, but it has some decent features. It will not accept a lock on the zipper, but the upper zips both sides with a handle that connects the zippers, and then it has a velcro flap that will keep it closed. Kind of a pain in the ass to get open if you use the velco, but you know nothing is going to get dumped out because the zipper opened. It does have a fold out cleaning mat that actually folds back and zips secure so it is not like it makes the bag a pain to pack.

Had both for over a year, pack a lot of crap in them from 100's of rifle, to close to 1k pistol rounds at a time. Labradar with base plate, laptops, other misc. heavy stuff. Truck bed, desert floor, concrete slabs, they still look and work great. They are also cheap enough that when they do decide to melt down, I will buy more.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JUQRGFM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use a Husky bag from Home Depot. A buddy of mine has the Carhart and it's better based on the features you were asking for. I'll get one to replace the Husky. However, as much as it gets used it isn't showing any signs of wearing out anytime soon.
View attachment 7054795

I use this same bag. Midway bags would last me about 2 years before completely falling apart. This bag seems MUCH more sturdy. I keep paper targets in a 3 ring binder and it fits in the bag, but won't quite zip shut so I usually just leave the top open. They come in a bunch of different sizes and the nice thing is that you can go to a store and lay hands on them before buying.

Reactions: Dereker77
Won't be midway pricing, that's for sure. Lets just hope what ever it is, holds up better than Midway.

Reactions: plong
  • Made in the USA.
Here you go pal, Bang Bang Range Bag by Eberlestock. Besides the Made in USA part which doesnt mean shit these days anyways.

Attachments

• R1-lrg2-blackbase_1296x.jpg
    R1-lrg2-blackbase_1296x.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 83
Here you go pal, Bang Bang Range Bag by Eberlestock. Besides the Made in USA part which doesnt mean shit these days anyways.
UGH...! Sorry... had 1 for approximately 1.5 days, (it was a generous and thoughtful, but ill-advised, gift. Hated everything about it: size, shape, layout (fixed 5.56 mag pockets screwing-up the the end compartments), molle everywhere (gotta be tacitcool, doncha' know...) This thing screams mall ninja, while having little practical application. There are so many better options for OP's stated purpose. Ugh, just UGH! (again... Sorry!)

UGH...! Sorry... had 1 for approximately 1.5 days, (it was a generous and thoughtful, but ill-advised, gift. Hated everything about it: size, shape, layout (fixed 5.56 mag pockets screwing-up the the end compartments), molle everywhere (gotta be tacitcool, doncha' know...) This thing screams mall ninja, while having little practical application. There are so many better options for OP's stated purpose. Ugh, just UGH! (again... Sorry!)

It is on the smaller side as far as bags go but when used as a specialty bag for a specific range application (pistols, long range, carbine day) works great. As far as the layout its costumizable, move or remove the padded deviders and you just changed the layout. Molle is a personal preference thing not a negative/positive, mines filled up, with "tacticool" drop bags. Bags great might not be for everyone but definetly doesnt deserve the "Mall Ninja, no practical application" title.

Is that bag actually made in the USA? They pitch where they are located quite a bit but I think my GSII was actually made in Vietnam. I’d have to go look at the tag to remember where exactly, but it definitely wasn’t Idaho.

I have several bags from Competitive Edge Dynamics -- nice bags, reasonably priced.

Is that bag actually made in the USA? They pitch where they are located quite a bit but I think my GSII was actually made in Vietnam. I’d have to go look at the tag to remember where exactly, but it definitely wasn’t Idaho.
Viet Nam

I have several bags from Competitive Edge Dynamics -- nice bags, reasonably priced.
The CED Deluxe Professional Range Bag is what I've used for pistol for 12+ years now. Well designed and very well made; still looks like new. Not made in USA though.

I have been using one for a few years now made by US Peacekeeper, made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty US Peacekeeper
May want to check that; all of the US Peacekeeper stuff I've seen was made overseas: Competitor Range Bag Size: 24"l x 12"h x 11.5"d Weight: 6 lbs Color: Black Imported

Reactions: Yaremkiv
I use one of the larger 3 day packs Tactical Tailor makes. Has a large compartment with another sealed off for a bladder. Can carry a tripod, plenty of ammo, a cleaning/tool kit, stapler, mags, targets, etc. Then I have a rubbermaid box that I put the chrony and tripod into along with other tools like torque wrench, cleaning boxes and more targets and random stuff. This is faster and you always have everything on hand.

But if going to just shoot and no to work on stuff, then it's just the backpack. Why that backpack? Wasn't really using it and it works and fits the bill nicely.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
I have a 5.11 range ready bag and love it. It can be small at times depending on how long I’m planning on being at the range and what type of firearms I’m shooting

I use a 5.11 Rush 24. I've had a lot of different bags and this has been the only one I consistently use anymore. Some of my ranges require a bit of a walk though so having the capability of throwing a backpack on helps immensely.

I’ve been through a handful of bags and recently switched to a Hazard4 Pillbox. I dig the camera bag style dividers, and I can fit more things in, and keep everything easily accessible when compared to my more traditional duffel and messenger style range bags. On a rifle range day the only thing that doesn’t fit inside is my tripod and bags. I can include a full set of drivers, including 2 separate torque drivers and my labradar among other things.