• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Day Items List

CleanMoostang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Eastern KY
Going to be doing a little shopping this weekend, and wanted to know what else I should consider having with me to make things easier and tools to make the day more enjoyable..

I've got my rifle, scope, reloads, sand bags, and of course targets.

Now I don't have a bi pod or anti can't level but another member on here I know will be supplying me with them soon.

I'm considering a shooting mat, budget range finder and or spotting scope, timney trigger, and here is where you come in.. suggest me a few things.

Lets set a budget of $300 which I know will be pushing it for a range finder and spotter.

Re: Range Day Items List

Based on the items you said you have and what you'd like to get next I'd go for the spotting scope. Once you get used to having one with you you'll wonder how you did without. Based on the couple Konus spotters I've looked thru I was pretty darn impressed for the money.

Topstrap

Range finder you probably can do without if you are on a known distance range, +1 on the spotting scope (somewhere in the 40-60 power range), shooting mat is nice but if range only you can substitute an old blanket, probably should have your own bipod if you are going to continue shooting unless the one you borrow is long term, data book is a good buy and a weather meter would be another good purchase.

Dont forget a data book, Slope Doper, and mildot master as well. These are all tools every long range shooter should have!

Thanks guys for the input, I appreciate it!

Nomad- I actually have a data book from your company and I absolutely love it! Got it with the stincel, moa-mil conversions and mil-moa conversions, range cards for known target sizes, and several other accessories. Thanks for the great product!!

I will be buying the bipod and anti cant from this member once we have time to arrange a meeting.

I will definitely look at spotting scopes while I am out this weekend, probably need to go over my budget though if I decide to purchase one.

One thing I had also thought about was a wind meter. I know your wind will change from muzzle to target, but to just get a general idea instead of using the Shooter wind on my phone that my GPS picks up...

Keepem coming!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stapler, for targets. </div></div>

I like to bring a small box of thumb tacs, as I have been known to forget staples. The ones with the bright plastic heads work best as you can pull them out and reuse them more easily. In a pinch, they can be used as targets too.

Don't forget Ear/Eye protection. A first aid kit, a sharpie or too. Tools/wrenches needed for your equipment. Leatherman utility knife.

what i take:
Rifle, scope, rings, bipod, rear bag, etc...etc...
Midway large range bag:
1. Tools
A. In/lb tq wrench with suitable bit (i have seekins
rings...so a T25 torx bit handles the 4mm action screws and
all scope screws.
B. Multi bit screw driver, just in case
C. Bug spray, more DEET the better! they have some 100% now!
D. Sun screen, 50spf is the max you'll ever need
E. Spare mags for any gun going with me
F. GSG1911...has a pouch for it, can't go shooting without it!
G. Basic cleaning supplies....a bore snake is invaluable!
Rem oil, wipes, a towel, q-tips, etc...
H. Hearing protection...electronic muffs and back
up/supplementary foam ear plugs are a MUST!
I. Stapler and staples
J. Target dots, you can put a dot on most anything
K. WATER and SNACKS....don't take it, and then thank me for
suggesting you do next time.

I think that's most of the stuff in the bag...

I also take a shooting mat, I take more ammo than I plan to shoot, I take a blanket to lay down even with my mat in case someone else forgets.

That's pretty much what I take when I go..

Great input guys, appreciated!

I always keep tools and stapler(s) in my suv so I normally dont forget those. Also keep a small bag of ear plugs, big and small.

Most of the stuff you guys are naming I can connect my dots with. Medic Kits are not on my list though, that will be added tonight.

I need a duffel bag if I plan to add all this stuff!

Wait for some more cash on the shooting mat, an old military wool blanket will work for a while, it may not be tacticool, but it does the same thing. Buy a good quality range bag and buy bigger then you need. A small one will fill up quick as you add tools and toys to your kit. A bore snake for each caliber you shoot will get 90% of the crap out of the bore while you're still at the range and the barrel is hot. A good spotting scope is worth its weight in gold when doing distance and good ones can be had for a decent price. You dont need a $1800 swarovski, a $150 burris will serve you well for a while. A data book is ice, but for now a small memo book from staples will do the same thing for $0.99.

If you are on a limited budget, make a list and prioritize things by need vs want and by amount of use it will get. A laser range finder is nice, butnif you only shoot at a range where the distance is marked, its not needed. Many things you will add over time and they will be used for years before you have to replace them. Start with the basics like angood range bag abd go from there. I had a small bagmaster that I used for many years before I became an instructor, when I needed more capacity I passed it onto my wife and she still uses it even after 12 years. Buy once cry once whennit comes to the basics. I now use a large 5.11 range bag and it was a little pricey but worth it. The same bag is made by Dillon and a few others so shop around and lay some hands on before you order. Things always seem larger in the picture on the website...

I keep some stuff in my truck and just leave it there like staple gun, tool box, medical kit, roll of targets, duct tape (in a good breeze with crappy backers staples dont hold as well) and some spare foam plugs.
The rest stays in my range bag. The range bag goes regardless of which range or what guns I take and always has the same equipment in it.
The only choices I have to make and remember is which guns are going. The magazines get put in the cases with the rifles and ammo I carry in GI ammo cans. I just grab which ever caliber box and put the whole box in the truck. I never have to worry about loading or unloading my range bag and forgetting stuff.

Thanks NY, some good information!

To be honest, when I go shoot, I take an older sleeping bag with me and it serves me fine. Sure it doesnt have pockets and flaps, but rolls up nice and need, and is hella comfortable. So Ill go with you on that one, buy a nicer one later and skip on the Midwayusa models..

Ive pretty much narrowed it down to a spotting scope, so I will list a few models that I am looking at to get your opinions and these will be at the locations I will be visiting this weekend...

KONUS
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...6+Photo+Adapter
ALPEN
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sport...01366/cat100751

Take a couple of mins and read through . Youll find something your missing even everyday non shooting stuff.

I keep these in the truck
Medkit (+tampons, magnifine glass, gloves), small tape measure or calipers (at least 1/10" measurement), gloves (suppressor), staple gun, target dots, binoculars, rolorape wheel, rain /mud boots, I vaccum bagged 1 set of hot weather clothes (all 2 sizes big) and a cold weather set (shirt, thermals, ++socks, boxers, light gloves, light hat, etc) , 1 baseball cap, 1 cowboy hat, wet napkins, tool roll (multitool , scissors, pliers, small screwdrivers, magnet for holding or finding small springs etc, small bolt cutters, wd 40, etc) , rope, bailing wire, flashlight, spotlight, power inverter for cigerette lighter, lighter, knife, surveyors tape (great for wind flags) , pens , notepad, spare earplugs, bottled water, umbrella, poncho or rain suit, dry towel, travel container of antibacterial soap, road hazzard kit + jumper cables, tire iron, sunglasses, sun screen, bug spray, tikka pretzl headlamp, white spray paint and spare chain for steel target,.duct and electrical tape

Shooting:
Shot book, phone w strelock app [FREE], spotting scope, calculator, pens/paper water proof, bug netting, brass can (empty coffee can), spotting scope, sling, ammo, dry box for ammo, slope doper, red led light (to see knobs at night), targets, boresnake, cleaning rod, rem oil wipes, lens pen, extra magazines, ear and eye protection, shooting mat, headband (sweat), kestrel, thermometer/barometer/humidity/outdoor clock, sunshade, water/granola bars, gatoraide powder sticks, spare batteries (for scope -taped inside rifle case, surefires in bag), shooting mat, camera

There are some mistakes that you have to make yourself, just to make sure that you never repeat them.

The list of things to bring to the range greatly depends upon what you have forgotten to bring in the past.

Spray paint always stays in the truck as well as a package of the small sticker type targets. No matter what you forget, you'll be able to at least shoot something.

The crappy thing I've found with konus spotters is the lens and objective caps fall off like cheap walmart telescopes. The eye relief was like putting a contact in. lastly the accessories like a waterproof soft case, are hard to find
if youre shooting less than 300yrds , shoot n see targets work great w just the scope.

I always seem to forget something, so I will definitely compile everyones feedback and hopefully be good to go.

I normally dont shoot inside of 300 yards, unless I am rezeroing my rifle at 200 yards.. At most the shortest I have shot lately is 500 yards.

After looking at range bags, I bought a decent size Stanley tool box and made it into a range box. Easy to dust off/spray with a water hose to clean. Small top compartment organizes the smaller things.

I keep a data book in the drag bag, but the smaller pocket notepads are invaluable. From writing down chrono readings to jotting down a dude's cell number at the range, I always keep one in my box.

I use electronic ear muffs, but I keep a pair of surefire ear pro's for back-up. Keep some extra batteries for ear muffs, Kestrel, flash light, chrono, etc.

Always keep my Borka tool kit, feeler gauges and a small line level in mine too. Checked a few guys scopes/mounts when they were in a bind.

The $25 MidwayUSA mat is great...in the shade. The $50 MidwayUSA mat is great...if you're 400 lbs. Find a mid-size, lighter colored one, preferably water proof/resistant on bottom.

I keep my shooting mat, 2 bear bags, and 2 small AR500 targets in my trunk. Just keeps from constantly loading/unloading every trip.

Other things I can think of:
stapler with extra staples
target dots
scope cleaning kit
bore snake
allen wrenches - standard, metric and torx
screw driver
needle nose pliers
small crescent wrench

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/MOLLE-1000

this is a good rifle case for cheap, fits my 700 sps tac with a few inches to spare, backpack straps, carry handle, like 12 pockets, molle gear to attach more pouches, can carry multiple boxes of ammo, a rifle, couple handguns, targets, stapler, multiple mags, has a velcro spot right in front for patches, and it very durable