• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Range estimating and lead questions.

camomallninja

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2009
From my understanding the average torso from belt line to head is 36"?
Also what leads to snipers use? I know 8.6 is the average speed of a target holding a weapon but is there others?

thanks guys

I think 36" might not be a good number, but I could be wrong. I'm 6' 1", 36" inseam and my belt line is 9" or so above my inseam.
What is a lead? and the average speed of what??

I'm guessing you are talking about lead for a moving target. I think we started with 2mph(average walking speed) and developed our dope. Something I remember was every ones dope varied by the reaction time on the trigger. You will have to shoot to find your own. Also it should be mentioned that some used moving lead and some used ambush style for engagement. I chose ambush and my hold at 500 was right at 1.5 mil. It should be also noted that my load was around 2720fps. Time of flight ect all become part of the answer. As my current load is 3k fps there will be an adjustment. This is also not factoring in wind either with my hold or against. I don't have my log book handy right now but there is a formula for holds on movers. This might give you a starting point but must be verified.

R

the time of flight for average .308 is one & a half seconds over 1000yds. So reduce according to distance, say roughly between a half and 3/4 second at 500 and so on. Figure distance of travel of subject and angle ie. 90* or 45* over time of flight. A walking target under 500 yds. should not require more than 2 1/2 - 3 body widths, depending on gate and whether it is traveling at a 90*, etc.

In the prvious answer I said 2 1/2 to 3 body widths, I should have said 2-3 strides.

So If were to learn an average speed lead what would it be? 6 is Jogging and 8.6 is sprinting.

I calculate my leads off my ammo for 3mph @ 90 deg for all distances to 1200yds. Since i gotta look at it for drop and drift anyways.

45 deg move angle is roughly 2/3rds lead, 22.5deg is roughly 1/3rd lead.

Lead is doubled for jog and trippled for sprint.

Making these calls without a spotter is very difficult.