• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Range Estimation Tutorial

Re: Range Estimation Tutorial

That's some nice work, thank you.

Your linkee on Laser rangefinders reviews is broke.

I'll read some more,

Bob

Many thanks....just forwarded the link to a buddy of mine that is just starting out. Nicely done.
CC

Tutorial looks good. Likde you were requesting, it would be benaficial to incorperate different reticles.

Did you make the images with the Taliban for the practical exercises?

The rangefinder link should not have gone up, but when I synced the work I did, I forgot to tell it not to upload that page. That review should be live in the next couple days. I have to locate my field notebook with all my data in it.

The Taliban images were gleaned from google and the reticles were added for this tutorial as well as some other lesson plan stuff I am working on for live classes.

ETA: if anything is confusing please let me know. I know this stuff like the back of my hand so I take some of it for granted. I am trying to develop these turtorials and lessons for those who are just coming into it. Don't be afraid to ask questions in this thread or PM/Email me. My PM box is usually pretty full, but if you email me through the forum or my website I will get back to you. Suggestions help too.

I may try to add another page with images for you to practice with.

Line starting with "We will use the "Army"
Change "MAY other makes" to "MANY other makes" (all caps to pinpoint attention only)

Good Read.

It might complicate the article past an "intro" level, but you might consider expounding on taking ranges based on vertical as well as horizontal sizes. For instance, your 'standard' 3ft x 7ft door will still appear 7ft tall when viewed from 60 deg off because your across the street and 8 houses down, but it won't look 3ft wide unless your 'square' in front of it. In the same vane, you might consider talking about "corrected" sizes using sine and cosine functions applied to the "angled off" surface.

hey sir

another suggestion for your great write up on range estimation , would be to include the formula for verifying what the MIL's should be , if the shooter KNOWS the range for sure, like at a KD range or he has just laz'd it

it's the same formula

ie., 36" x 27.78 / the range (known) 500= the MIL's
in this case 2.0 MIL's

so this will help new students especially, with what they should have mill'd a target to be

since i started to gain an interest in long range shooting, i have been reading up on mildots and how they work. i have been able to get pretty close on range estimation. i play with these links alot to practice. http://www.mil-dot.com/ and http://www.mildotmaster.com/ if you look at the first link, you can test your mil-dot skills. neat little program. as i use that i also have the MDM open and i am using their demo. i cant quite get the whole thing down, but i am getting better. i need practice moving that info to the knobs. i guess i lack dope for my weapon. one thing that makes me go hmmmm, is like in your example. the first guy was 4 mils @ 68" and was 472 yards away. but the other guy is 2.85 mils @ 64" and is 672 yards. not that i doubt your data, i noticed the same thing on my practice with the programs. i can see you have to be accurate in your mils, that can throw you way off. i need a class on this in my area. also my scope has to be on 10x for the mils to be correct, i gather from what i read that thats because of how its constructed. but in the game, the mil count changes between 10x and 20x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since i started to gain an interest in long range shooting, i have been reading up on mildots and how they work. i have been able to get pretty close on range estimation. i play with these links alot to practice. http://www.mil-dot.com/ and http://www.mildotmaster.com/ if you look at the first link, you can test your mil-dot skills. neat little program. as i use that i also have the MDM open and i am using their demo. i cant quite get the whole thing down, but i am getting better. i need practice moving that info to the knobs. i guess i lack dope for my weapon. one thing that makes me go hmmmm, is like in your example. the first guy was 4 mils @ 68" and was 472 yards away. but the other guy is 2.85 mils @ 64" and is 672 yards. not that i doubt your data, i noticed the same thing on my practice with the programs. i can see you have to be accurate in your mils, that can throw you way off. i need a class on this in my area. also my scope has to be on 10x for the mils to be correct, i gather from what i read that thats because of how its constructed. but in the game, the mil count changes between 10x and 20x. </div></div>

Mils are like MOA in that they're angles in a circle. So no matter how much mil you have, the farther away a target, the more dramatic the difference each input will be.

i need more trigger time. i am sure it will all click when i start shooting. that video simulation has plates that are different sizes and you have to estimate the range and windage and make a shot. i get close, but then im off on the next. give it a try

It really does take practice. The Shooter Ready stuff is great, but it does not beat time on the gun.

What I suggest is beg, borrow or "tactically aquire" a laser rangefinder. Either get a spare scope, spotter with mil reticle or unmount your riflescope. Spend some time in different locations under different lighting milling targets. Once you range them with the scope, lase them with the LRF. For training purposes NEVER lase before you mill.

I have a Kruger APR spotter. Once my Leica 1200 gets here it's going to be "game on" on the milling practice. I have several parking garages all over the city that allow me great vantage points for ranging targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several parking garages all over the city that allow me great vantage points for ranging targets. </div></div>

thats kinda scary, lol. before i do anything i read about it and learn as much as i can. but trying to learn to shoot and mil just from reading is like leadning how to tango from a book. i have to get familiar with my equipment. i know me and once i get behind the trigger, it will all start to click. heck last time i went to shoot my 1911, i was shocked at how much i flinched before i took my shot. i used 2 different 1911s and one XD45 and i had a hell of a time relaxing and not flinching in anticipation. i was questioning my capabilities until i got to the kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several parking garages all over the city that allow me great vantage points for ranging targets. </div></div>

thats kinda scary, lol.</div></div>

All the average Joe sees is a dude with a telescope. Half the time I have my police car parked right behind me, so they don't think I am a perv.
wink.gif

lol, i dont see how the patrol would tell them that. family friend in on the local force. now one of the duties he is assigned is at the bus station rousting the kids, eye-balling the cuties and cruising the new charger around. my town has maybe 5-10 tall buildings in the downtown area and only one is public-ish. you can get to the 11th floor observation though. but its a state building so i dont want to scout with cameras up there. kinda sad, plus its the capitol city. i always see stuff and get suspicious. im usually right. when i was a younger man, i wasnt always a law abiding citizen. i know suspicios when i see it. i have been observing people all my life, i can spot stuff before, during and after it happens. but my love of firearms has set me on the straight and narrow.