• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Estimation

HawkDriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2012
Southeast Ohio
I'm shooting a Leuopold mk4 3.5x10 with mildot. At 10x my range estimation by milling is off considerably. It's because of the reticle being second focal plane, I know, does anyone know how to compensate for this or how to find what power setting will give the correct mils for range?

Re: Range Estimation

Get a piece of paper or cardboard 36” long or so draw a thick line vertically and then draw hash lines every 3.6” I mean exactly. Place the paper out at 100 yards, again exactly, from the face of the paper to the mechanicals (turrets) of your scope. I use a steel 100’ tape to set this up for this.

Your scope mildot centers should overlay the hash marks on full power, it may not. If not adjust your power until they do, then mark your power ring with a marker or scribe a line on it, now you have calibrated your SFP reticle.

Other than that practice, practice, practice ranging on known size targets down to 0.1 mil at first and work into 0.05 mil accuracy. Also when measuring a target place more emphasis on the height of it for your calculation, if a target is quartering even a little it will show you a shorter dimension and you will have a wrong solution.

Buy a mil dot master for $25 and work with that. Use 10x power when you range because the USMC use 10x fix power

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaeger308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a piece of paper or cardboard 36” long or so draw a thick line vertically and then draw hash lines every 3.6” I mean exactly. Place the paper out at 100 yards, again exactly, from the face of the paper to the mechanicals (turrets) of your scope. I use a steel 100’ tape to set this up for this.

Your scope mildot centers should overlay the hash marks on full power, it may not. If not adjust your power until they do, then mark your power ring with a marker or scribe a line on it, now you have calibrated your SFP reticle.

Other than that practice, practice, practice ranging on known size targets down to 0.1 mil at first and work into 0.05 mil accuracy. Also when measuring a target place more emphasis on the height of it for your calculation, if a target is quartering even a little it will show you a shorter dimension and you will have a wrong solution.
</div></div>

I have never had much trouble ranging off of the mildots, but I may just try this to see how accurate my scope is.

Work on writing out all math by hand. This is a pain at first but WILL help you verify and see what/if your doing wrong. Memorize all formulas (MIL ret,MOA ret ect ect)

what are you milling ? objects of exactly known dimensions or objects that can vary ie. animals, fenceposts, gates ect.Is there mirage between you and your target ? milling involves SKILLFULLY estimating the object in mills and even profesionals dont always get it right. we had to be within 15 percent on non known objects and within 10 per cent on known objects and some ppl struggled with that.15 percent error at 600 m means from 510m to 690m, hardly accurate and still it failed some ppl their course.
There is a reason why snipers are issued lrfs , milling is a back up tool.