• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Etiquette

Gone these ten years, but knew a guy that liked position seven, If you were on six or eight when he arrived, you had close quarters company. When he registered for matches in the region, the MDs would automatically assign him to spot seven. If you found yourself next to him and paid attention, you had an excellent chance of learning something.

Reactions: kjmdrumz3
Because YOU say so...........uh huh
I guess I don't know why this hit such a nerve with you. If I show up to a restaurant with 10 tables, I won't sit down next to you. If there is a way at a bar to put a few stools between me and someone else I don't know, then that's what I will do. Not going to go to the urinal right next to you if there are 8 others open, either.

If I show up at the range, and there are 8 stations empty, I will get as far away from you as I can. If someone shows up and starts a conversation about their favorite position on said range, different story. No longer a dick move. Hell, I would move away from someone's favorite bench if they explained the situation.

And it's not just me, it's lots of people who understand when there is no option, but question that behavior when there obviously was space elsewhere.

I guess I don't know why this hit such a nerve with you.

Because of entitled people who think that their personal preferences are to be imposed on everyone else or else it's a "dick move"

Let me explain this as clearly as I can. No one needs to oblige your ideas about what's proper etiquette at a range, bar, pisser, or any other place.

If you want to control where other people lay down to shoot, sit down to drink or eat, or piss or take a shit then buy the place and make up the rules. Otherwise mind your own business.

And LOL at someone asking me to move from their "favorite bench" once I've gone through the trouble of laying my shit down.

When I go to a public range, I expect the worst and am surprised when that doesn't happen

There are lanes designated for one shooter, first come first serve, 10 lanes there can be 10 shooters, it is what it is

If there is noise, if there is brass flying, it there are bugs, its life, it is what it is, put in a tampon and deal with it

I personally don't want to be on top of other people, I don't like crowds. I will always go as far away from people as I can, but I understand that other people are the opposite, such is life. Usually if you start talking like a moron to people that move to close to you, they will back off and leave

I use to work in a hardware store when I was a teen, there was this troubled guy that would come in all the time to buy one nail or one screw. He would really just come in to talk to people because he was weird (had some mental issue, was never sure what) but he would talk at you for an hour about nothing but nonsense. Do you like alligators? I like alligators, they are cool to watch kill and eat things. You like pigs? I like pigs, they are tasty. How fast do you think an alligator could run? Could a pig outrun an alligator?

This sort of talk would go on for hours until a manager would have to ask him to leave, but you get the idea, do that if you want people to leave you alone. :D

It’s a shooting range, if you’re scared of loud noises maybe buy some land and shoot your 22 there?

Join a 22 only range?

Did you not know the range was public or allowed 30cal?

But I’m also a social person, I like talking with others, etc, I can do solo just fine, but I’m also good with others around, which is why I just shake my head at posts like this.

I think it is a good idea to give a heads up with something braked.

One time I took my wife to try out handguns at a local indoor range. They have private booths on the 25 yard range. View attachment 7605711
They also rent out guns. A person 2 doors down from us rented a braked Barrett m82 with a holographic on it. A range employee was with them. There was no warning at all.

My wife was about to take the last shot in a zev Glock when the Barrett fired. Her flight response kicked in. She flagged me for sure but I was able to get her to hand it to me before she completely fled.

I complained then and have been talking about it to employees of the place whenever I go there. Sad thing is that they have the widest selection of good handguns to rent.

I mostly shoot outdoors these days since we bought our house. That range is now 27 miles away vs the 2.5 it was. Now I've got a 100 yd outdoor for $60 a year.

Converted massage parlor?

Converted massage parlor?
Nope. Dedicated building.

This is in the basement. 100 yard shooting tubes. Can't add that to an existing building. Targets are on a track system. Bonus effect is you get a really cool double boom shooting in the tubes.
unnamed.jpg

Not me in the picture.

Nope. Dedicated building.

This is in the basement. 100 yard shooting tubes. Can't add that to an existing building. Targets are on a track system. Bonus effect is you get a really cool double boom shooting in the tubes.
View attachment 7610566
Not me in the picture.

interesting

Probably not notable at 100yrds, but I wonder what the gasses and supersonic pressure does in that tube, especially when you take a shot not centered in the tube?

I use to work in a hardware store when I was a teen, there was this troubled guy that would come in all the time to buy one nail or one screw. He would really just come in to talk to people because he was weird (had some mental issue, was never sure what) but he would talk at you for an hour about nothing but nonsense. Do you like alligators? I like alligators, they are cool to watch kill and eat things. You like pigs? I like pigs, they are tasty. How fast do you think an alligator could run? Could a pig outrun an alligator?

This sort of talk would go on for hours until a manager would have to ask him to leave, but you get the idea, do that if you want people to leave you alone. :D

raw

Happens when entitlement enters the room

It’s not that we’re entitled. We know we can’t demand people stay away. It’s that we’re disappointed in people who don’t have the decency to make a little room.

You’re the kind of person that would shoot other people’s targets out of spite because it’s a public range after all.

It’s not that we’re entitled. We know we can’t demand people stay away. It’s that we’re disappointed in people who don’t have the decency to make a little room.

You’re the kind of person that would shoot other people’s targets out of spite because it’s a public range after all.

If you conflate your enochlophobia with willful destruction of private property, I think most logically minded people are going to have a hard time finding common ground with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACard
I’m not conflating anything and I don’t have any phobia. I’m stating that we should all take steps to maximize everyone’s enjoyment of the range because that’s the decent thing to do. And he is the kind of guy who would shoot other people’s targets.

Because of entitled people who think that their personal preferences are to be imposed on everyone else or else it's a "dick move"

Let me explain this as clearly as I can. No one needs to oblige your ideas about what's proper etiquette at a range, bar, pisser, or any other place.

If you want to control where other people lay down to shoot, sit down to drink or eat, or piss or take a shit then buy the place and make up the rules. Otherwise mind your own business.

And LOL at someone asking me to move from their "favorite bench" once I've gone through the trouble of laying my shit down.

I'm probably the least entitled person that you will ever meet, and I'm big on common courtesy and personal accountability. I understand that some folks like their personal space, and I respect that. Deliberately impacting someone else when you have an option is not cool.

Virtually all the activities you mention above I do on my property or at the private range where I pay to belong, specifically to avoid people who believe that it is their God-given right to impact others.

At this point, I will agree to disagree and bow out of the discussion

Reactions: OldSalty2
I’m not conflating anything and I don’t have any phobia. I’m stating that we should all take steps to maximize everyone’s enjoyment of the range because that’s the decent thing to do. And he is the kind of guy who would shoot other people’s targets.

Someone sitting next to you and shooting is a long ways from willfully shooting your target.

The only person I had shoot my target was at a indoor range that was also a big gun shop, dude was a new shooter, from his handling to the laser grips it was pretty obvious, as was the size of the holes vs what I was shooting, I laughed it off and gave him some friendly pointers, he seemed to have appreciated and I was glad I could help, as far as a few extra and obvious not mine holes in a $1 target, meh

I’ve also had folks mag dump ARs next to me while I was doing some more precise shooting, I have good ear pro, my few single shots were louder anyways, and the un announced mag dumps made for a extra challenge in my shooting which was actually a good thing.

tldr; public range is going to public range

Last edited:
Boy, I sure don't miss my Public Range days. I may have to pay a yearly fee to belong, but, it sure keeps the jackasses/rif-raf out. Out of belonging, for 7 years now, people have been really great there.
95% of the time, I'm usually by myself, because, I go early in the day and during the week.
Sometimes, a couple of regulars show up, and we start talking shit, then the time has gotten away from us and we forgot why we was there to begin with:LOL:! I will say tho, If someone does show up with some big magnum, a courtesy announcement will be made and 99% of the time, they won't plop down next to someone that's already occupying a bench(our benches are for Rt. & Lt. hand shooters), or a bench that's next to someone shooting, unless, it's the only open bench left. I'm good with that. Do they have to say anything? Hell no.
Nice, but, not required. Should have hearing pro. on anyways.
My way is, I make sure the target lanes are clear, then let everyone know when I'm going hot. After that, to each his own, I'm taking care of business (sounds like a song I know). Mac:cool:

Boy, I sure don't miss my Public Range days. I may have to pay a yearly fee to belong, but, it sure keeps the jackasses/rif-raf out. Out of belonging, for 7 years now, people have been really great there.
95% of the time, I'm usually by myself, because, I go early in the day and during the week.
Sometimes, a couple of regulars show up, and we start talking shit, then the time has gotten away from us and we forgot why we was there to begin with:LOL:! I will say tho, If someone does show up with some big magnum, a courtesy announcement will be made and 99% of the time, they won't plop down next to someone that's already occupying a bench(our benches are for Rt. & Lt. hand shooters), or a bench that's next to someone shooting, unless, it's the only open bench left. I'm good with that. Do they have to say anything? Hell no.
Nice, but, not required. Should have hearing pro. on anyways.
My way is, I make sure the target lanes are clear, then let everyone know when I'm going hot. After that, to each his own, I'm taking care of business (sounds like a song I know). Mac:cool:

What if “the regulars” consider you the riff raf?

• Haha
Reactions: 10ring'r
Whos actually more "entitled" in this situation...?

Lmfao

I’d wager the riff raf believe the same thing ;)
I don't think you understand my definition of "jackasses/rif-raf"?? Here in Wisc., our public ranges (no R.O.'s), get "Banger's", that come in, dump $500 worth of ammo, shooting at chunks of wood, the dirt, and think it's a "great day at the range". So, I made the choice to pay a little extra, just so I don't have to worry so much about a stray bullet bouncing off my forehead.
Yes, believe it or not, I'm a respectful/polite person while at a gun range. I mean, after all, there are guns.
Mac

I don't think you understand my definition of "jackasses/rif-raf"?? Here in Wisc., our public ranges (no R.O.'s), get "Banger's", that come in, dump $500 worth of ammo, shooting at chunks of wood, the dirt, and think it's a "great day at the range". So, I made the choice to pay a little extra, just so I don't have to worry so much about a stray bullet bouncing off my forehead.
Yes, believe it or not, I'm a respectful/polite person while at a gun range. I mean, after all, there are guns.
Mac

So one shot every 5 seconds?

Paper NRA targets only?

Gotta ask.......are you just trying to be...a prick?? Mac:rolleyes:

No, I just don’t get that logic, especially shooting places like NY and in ranges with ROs, seems some folks are more interested in others shooting than their own targets.

Some dude wants to mag dump 500rnds who cares?

No, I just don’t get that logic, especially shooting places like NY and in ranges with ROs, seems some folks are more interested in others shooting than their own targets.
Pleeeez...re-read my post(s). I DON'T GAF what others shoot at, as long as it's at the proper target backers.
NOT a F'n chunk of wood, that's 5 yards in front of them. You want to do that shit, go up into the forest and shoot all you want in a F'n gravel/sand pit. Maybe, you don't realize it or not, but, bouncing buuullets, can fu#K you up. I really don't care about anyone else's shooting, as long as their buuuuullets go down range. I just don't feel like getting a piercing, when I don't want one, by someone's OOOOPs. Mac

Reactions: 308pirate
Pleeeez...re-read my post(s). I DON'T GAF what others shoot at, as long as it's at the proper target backers.
NOT a F'n chunk of wood, that's 5 yards in front of them. You want to do that shit, go up into the forest and shoot all you want in a F'n gravel/sand pit. Maybe, you don't realize it or not, but, bouncing buuullets, can fu#K you up. I really don't care about anyone else's shooting, as long as their buuuuullets go down range. I just don't feel like getting a piercing, when I don't want one, by someone's OOOOPs. Mac

Fair enough

But outside of BBs, what will bounce off wood?

I shot at a range with railroad trusses as a backstop, I don’t recall anything coming back

Solid metal, or big rocks, sure

Fair enough

But outside of BBs, what will bounce off wood?

I shot at a range with railroad trusses as a backstop, I don’t recall anything coming back

Solid metal, or big rocks, sure
Sorry man, I just can't explain it to you, in a way you'd understand. I give up. Mac🤬

Sorry man, I just can't explain it to you, in a way you'd understand. I give up. Mac🤬

Can you find me a video of such a occurrence, someone shooting (not a BB gun) a piece of wood at 10yrds and the bullet coming back to the firing line?

Can you find me a video of such a occurrence, someone shooting (not a BB gun) a piece of wood at 10yrds and the bullet coming back to the firing line?
I'm going to try this one more time....Chunk of wood, on ground, person mag dumping(AK's/AR's) into it, not all shots/rounds hitting said chunk of wood, rocks/hard pack dirt, 10 yards in front of shooting platforms...get the F'n picture?? IF I wanted "spray and pray" bullets flying around, I would have got out of the A.F. and enlisted as a grunt, then went to the F'n sandbox! Anyone that d/n think that kind of situation, isn't a little unsafe, well, I don't know what to tell you. Mac

I'm going to try this one more time....Chunk of wood, on ground, person mag dumping(AK's/AR's) into it, not all shots/rounds hitting said chunk of wood, rocks/hard pack dirt, 10 yards in front of shooting platforms...get the F'n picture?? IF I wanted "spray and pray" bullets flying around, I would have got out of the A.F. and enlisted as a grunt, then went to the F'n sandbox! Anyone that d/n think that kind of situation, isn't a little unsafe, well, I don't know what to tell you. Mac

I get what you’re describing, I think.

With the angle the rounds will be impacting, shy of the deck of the range being legit boulders, the worse case is the rounds might deflect, but would still deflect down range.

Now if you said they were mag dumping into a 48x48” block of stainless steel at 10yrds, I’m with you, but what you describe, risk matrix, you probably had a higher chance of death or injury driving to the range.

This is about as extreme as a quick search yields

Yeah shooting into trees and logs and shit is stupid. I had an asshole neighbor who’s “berm” was a brush pile and shot towards my property. I was down in the field one day and heard ricochets zinging over me and then started landing near me 700+ yards away. Almost shot those white trash fucks.

Anyone who does shit like that deserves to have the shit beat out of them.

You know them white folks be shooting everything.

Light up his berm pile with tracers.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Just like bathroom stalls, I'll skip over an empty one so I am not right next to another person. if that's the only spot left, it is what it is, and you will have to deal with it.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
When I go to my local public range with my 300WM RPR with tank brake, most people will look at it and say "that's a really big brake". I usually offer them some free foamys, and apologize in advance. ROs sometimes give heads up. I know it's obnoxious, and I try to be proactive. I wish I could shoot it enough to justify a can, but for now I just try to be nice, and make everyone else uncomfortable.

I was driving the wife's lexus and stopped to pick up a few things at the store. I parked all the way out in left field of the lot. Not a single car around for 30 spaces. When I come out of the store there's a Mercedes parked in the space right next to me.
I parked my truck next to a cart return once. I crowded the return on the passenger side so I had almost half of the space on the driver's side. I come out and there's a hooopty parked in the extra space I left to get into my truck.
I have a few business cards that read " Next Time Leave A Can Opener"
I put them under their wipers and leave.
I once parked a '66 Mustang Fastback as far away from other cars as possible. There were at least 100 empty spaces to my right and to my left. When I came out, sure as shit, some dipshit had parked close enough to leave a door ding. It pissed me off so bad that I started kicking in their door. I could see the internal parts from the mold the left on the outside door skin. I'm fairly certain the window wouldn't be able to roll down. Then I went to the passenger door and did the same. I was REALLY hoping they'd come out and have words with me. I waited and waited and waited. Finally, I left a message, "I'm sorry I parked so close to you. I think I left a door ding in your car."

Perry.jpg

<iframe width="981" height="493" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I know it’s already been said, but I think the only legitimate gripe the OP has is the guy setup right next to him when he clearly didn’t have to. For the life of me I don’t understand why people do shit like that. I can’t stand people being right next to me when they don’t have to be.

Last edited:
I once parked a '66 Mustang Fastback as far away from other cars as possible. There were at least 100 empty spaces to my right and to my left. When I came out, sure as shit, some dipshit had parked close enough to leave a door ding. It pissed me off so bad that I started kicking in their door. I could see the internal parts from the mold the left on the outside door skin. I'm fairly certain the window wouldn't be able to roll down. Then I went to the passenger door and did the same. I was REALLY hoping they'd come out and have words with me. I waited and waited and waited. Finally, I left a message, "I'm sorry I parked so close to you. I think I left a door ding in your car."
So someone accidentally door dinged your precious terd and you purposefully kicked in both of their doors? And they are the piece of shit? I would have loved to see your dumb ass get arrested for being a complete fuckstick.

Reactions: Aftermath