• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Range finder at night?

jonoliew

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2007
Australia
IMG_20200731_130447_873.jpg

Hi gents!

Greetings from down under! Need some night vision advice from you gurus. There's no where I can go and try gear so I usually have to take a gamble and purchase it.

Trying to move away from spotlighting and got an armasight clip-on for the rifle. Trying to figure out how to range at night? Was going to buy a flir command but they don't sell to civilians anymore? So I'm a little lost.

Thanks,
Jon

*Update
Initial setup from all the reading, I was going to get thermal/ nv clipon plus flir command + range finder attachment. But can't purchase flir now.

option 2: rangefinder in front of pvs14 - but it doesn't always work??

Last edited:
My problem is ITAR as I am located in Australia. Was looking for something for the spotter. Like a Vectronix Mosquito? Does anyone have any experience with it?

My problem is ITAR as I am located in Australia. Was looking for something for the spotter. Like a Vectronix Mosquito? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Moskito is awesome (especially Moskito Ti+), but it's pricey. If you can swing it financially, there's nothing better out there. Hands-down.

I have ranged over 2200 yards with my radius. Found it on ebay for $750. Hard to beat at that price. And that was against non reflective targets.

Reactions: deersniper
If you have night vision, most rangefinders laser is visible. You can see the dot impact your target. Less than ideal, but works if you run nv on one eye.

If you have night vision, most rangefinders laser is visible. You can see the dot impact your target. Less than ideal, but works if you run nv on one eye.

Mostly cheap rangefinders. Higher-end long range units use 1550nm lasers (SWIR) that are not detectable with NV.

The Vector Nite versions are similar to the Moskito, but binos and minus the GPS. The PLRF's will all work with a 14 or similar monocular, they have a night reticle/readout setting, as do the standard Vector IV/21/23.

Mostly cheap rangefinders. Higher-end long range units use 1550nm lasers (SWIR) that are not detectable with NV.
Ok. I know my sig kilo 2200 and a higher end vortex do, wasn’t aware cheap ones didn’t. Thanks.

There are plenty of commercially available rangefinders that can be used over over eye while the pvs14 is on the other.

Get a range finder that has scan mode, and illuminates the info on the screen in red (or whatever other coolers they may have) as this will let your eye behind the rangefinder see the distance info while the other eye with 14 makes sure the scanning laser is on the target.

I haven't done this but others have told that they use the 3x magnifiers to help when targeting as well

If your going the scope route, look into the Laserworks LE-032.
Not a slim unit, but it has many mounting options.
I know it's sold in Europe, so it might be available down under.
SJC

Reactions: jonoliew
The Vector Nite versions are similar to the Moskito, but binos and minus the GPS. The PLRF's will all work with a 14 or similar monocular, they have a night reticle/readout setting, as do the standard Vector IV/21/23.

So it works OK with 14s behind?
Moskito is awesome (especially Moskito Ti+), but it's pricey. If you can swing it financially, there's nothing better out there. Hands-down.

I was initially going to purchase ACTinBlack DTNVGs with Harder Gen3 tubes (Approx $13k USD, yep everything non-American is crazy expensive). And use Leica Geovid 3200.com binos in front of them. But I have read mixed reviews that they work/ don't work?

Neither Leica or Terrapin X have night vision mode. So back to the drawing board. Moskito/ MoskitoTi was my next option. Seems like it has everything. Just have to purchase it from europe, if I can find an authorised dealer. So its a big gamble for me. Is ITAR an issue if I purchased the Moskito from a USA based dealer?

My other option was to get 1x pvs 14/mum14 and 1x andres industries thermal. But then the LRF issue is still an issue.

ITAR would prohibit export of the Moskito and Vector or PLRF's. None of the commercial units have a nite reticle option. You can use the commercial types on your unaided eye as you can see the beam paint the target. You can also slave the laser to a spotter, then put the 14 on the spotter with a Monoloc.

ITAR would prohibit export of the Moskito and Vector or PLRF's. None of the commercial units have a nite reticle option. You can use the commercial types on your unaided eye as you can see the beam paint the target. You can also slave the laser to a spotter, then put the 14 on the spotter with a Monoloc.

That is basically what I did to my Radius. I put it on my 6.5CM shorty, which runs a PVS27, and then have a Perst 3 that the Radius is basically slaved to. Where the Perst goes, so does the range finder. Works fine for my needs.

That is basically what I did to my Radius. I put it on my 6.5CM shorty, which runs a PVS27, and then have a Perst 3 that the Radius is basically slaved to. Where the Perst goes, so does the range finder. Works fine for my needs.

Radius discontinued? Did a quick search and the alternative is a Wilcox Raptr? No chance getting it here in Australia.. 😭😭😭

Is the Radius 1550nm? I didn't think it was and figured you could see the beam with the PVS27?

Is the Radius 1550nm? I didn't think it was and figured you could see the beam with the PVS27?

yes that is correct. You see a quick dot.
Frankly, im not operating operationally, so its not a huge deal to me.

if shot hit the fan and i needed to avoid throwing IR or visible light/lasers, im not going to be ranging things.

that being said, the Vectronix and higher end stuff is cool and if i had the cash to spend I would.

yes that is correct. You see a quick dot.
Frankly, im not operating operationally, so its not a huge deal to me.

if shot hit the fan and i needed to avoid throwing IR or visible light/lasers, im not going to be ranging things.

that being said, the Vectronix and higher end stuff is cool and if i had the cash to spend I would.

I asked cause I wondered why you had the Perst slaved to the Radius if you can see the beam? Is it just a quick flash of the dot? I really want a Raptar but a Radius is a bit more wallet friendly, if I can find one.

I asked cause I wondered why you had the Perst slaved to the Radius if you can see the beam? Is it just a quick flash of the dot? I really want a Raptar but a Radius is a bit more wallet friendly, if I can find one.

The laser on the radius is incredibly weak compared to a Perst or PEQ15, so beyond a couple of hundred yards, I had a hard time making out the flash of the dot ranging. I ranged buildings at 2250 using the Perst and didn't see any flash of a visible dot laser from the radius.

Reactions: dgheriani
Man. My shopping list is massive now 😅😅😅 Thanks to you gents.
I've enquired about ACTinBlack pvs-14, Andres industries thermals, perst3, Vampire Solo and moskito ti.