• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Finder Help!

beb0541

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2014
South Florida
Gents,

I want to be able to accurately and consistently range steel targets out to 1500 yds (a mile would be ideal). What range finder should I look for? As Triad says, I want to buy once and cry once. Let me know what you long range guys deem as quality kit and the best place to pick it up. Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Clark

I would recommend looking at the leica 1600. I have one that's a few years old (I think they have improved it since then) that works great!!! It has given me ranges almost to 2K yards. Out to a mile would be no problem.

The Steiner binos are pretty impressive. I don't think the laser will toe to toe a Terrapin in distance but from what I saw playing with them and others have reported they are excellent within their specified operating distance, which by the way is about a mile.

If you have the swag, any of the PLRF models will easily do what you want.

I have an older Bushnell Elite (8x I think) rangefinder that has done very well by me...I can get solid returns on non-reflective targets to 900+ yards and reflective to almost 1800.

Clark a couple of years ago I was using the Leica Binos w/ LRF built in at the Snipers Hide Cup in Wyoming. Granted the LRF in them were the 1200, but the guys w/ Bushnell and of course Terrapins, were kicking my butt on the longer range, small targets. I quickly purchased the Terrapin and love it. Don't skimp, go Vectronix!!!

According to Euro Optic the only model of Vectronix range finder available to the civilian market is the PLRF25C at more than 8k....

I can get you PLRF 15C's, or Vectors, there may be more 10 and 15's in the non-C type available as well. 15C is $5300

I can get you PLRF 15C's, or Vectors, there may be more 10 and 15's in the non-C type available as well. 15C is $5300

Ouch! $3500 here in Canada. I suppose the suns gotta shine on a dogs ass some day...we get screwed on everything else up here it's about time we got a break on something. LOL.

I got my PLRF-25C about 1 month ago . It took 10 weeks for it to arrive from APO but is well worth it. I live in NW AZ so I shoot out past 2000 yards all the time and the 25c ranges 1st time and every time. It did hurt to get the 25c but I plan on getting either a 375 or 408 next spring so it was going to be the 15c or the 25c. They claim 4000 yards for the 25C but I able to range over 6000 yards even without using a tripod. If you can wait a little bit because APO will be having their black Friday sale in November.

If your talking about ranging just the steel target itself at 1500 yards then vectronix all the way. Especially if you plan to range in bright mid day sun. The Terrapin is the cheapest thing that will do the above consistently.

I've got the Vectronix PLRF 10C. APO has them in stock for $4650. I've owned lesser LRFs and they didn't hold a candle to this one. It'll also interface with Field Firing Solutions on the Trimble Nomad. Expensive but worth it IMHO.