• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Finder Without AB or anything else...

ND Precision Rifle

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2018
www.ndprecisionrifle.com
Unfortunately my Leica 1600 has died. It did okay for what I used it for but now i'm getting into the ELR and getting accurate distances out to 2k is becoming necessary.

I run a setup that has my Spotter/Range Finder zeroed on the same plane for easy ranging. I'm looking for a range finder that is just a range finder. I don't need AB or any type of program since I run kestrels and other programs.

I've heard so many mixed reviews of the newcons and sigs. What are you guys running that get good hits at 2k? Price point is definitely under 2k.

I don't think many of the high end commercial units these days don't have some kind of onboard ballistics. I've run a Sig K2400BDX and currently use the Sig K3000BDX binos (which both link to a kestrel or use the onboard AB ultra lite that is god to 800 yards) and they're great. I use the Link to get my dope straight from my Kestrel and I get good ranges with them well past 2k yards.

Terrapin X is pretty much exactly what you’re looking for.

Nikon Range x 4000 black. Good price, good glass, instant distance.

BW

Reactions: 338LMAI
I have a lightly used Sig Kilo 2000, pm if interested, haven't listed it.

I got the Sig 3000BDX on open box from cameraland for $900. Does 2000 yards + without breaking a sweat. You can turn off all of the various features pretty easily.

Not to derail the thread but I would also like a simple solid LRF without ballistics BUT I would like to have a connection to my kestrel to send distance and DOF.

Is it too much to ask for a LRF with Bluetooth and compass to send distance and DOF? I have the kestrel for weather and ballistic data. All I need a LRF to do is tell me the distance and direction to target.

PLRF 10

5EB229E2-440A-4ECB-828D-95B181C0E7C5.jpeg

Not to derail the thread but I would also like a simple solid LRF without ballistics BUT I would like to have a connection to my kestrel to send distance and DOF.

Is it too much to ask for a LRF with Bluetooth and compass to send distance and DOF? I have the kestrel for weather and ballistic data. All I need a LRF to do is tell me the distance and direction to target.

I believe the Leica.2800, Sig2400 and Sig3000 would fit your bill for this. They all will talk to an AB Kestrel or Garmin 701

Reactions: seansmd
I believe the Leica.2800, Sig2400 and Sig3000 would fit your bill for this. They all will talk to an AB Kestrel or Garmin 701

They do. And they are on my radar. It just seems there’s a gap between in the market between 500 and under class and the 900 and up class.

Take a razar hd 4000 or Leica 2400 add a compass and Bluetooth and it would fit my needs perfectly.

They do. And they are on my radar. It just seems there’s a gap between in the market between 500 and under class and the 900 and up class.

Take a razar hd 4000 or Leica 2400 add a compass and Bluetooth and it would fit my needs perfectly.

I have an feeling AB charges enough for access to there protocol/software that something between that range would be hard to do to. I noticed the same problem when I was looking for a unit, but I needed something that could do 2000+ reliably hence why I went with the 3000BDX

Reactions: Luvman and seansmd
After owning a Leica, I'm surprised you are even asking. :geek:

They're kinda boring 'cause they just work. Point and get a distance. Long distances freehand is what got my attention when I first started using it. Now it's just expected.

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I have lost more $$ on Leica rf’s due to failure than any other RF brand and I have owned about 40 RFs

I think the only brand I have not owned is the newcon

Let me preface this by saying I've owned a few LRFs, but so far, the only one that has really impressed me has been the Vortex Razor 4K, so I'm not trying to insult anyone when I ask if your LRF can really do what everyone claims. I've said it repeatedly in other threads, but I get tired of seeing people hype up their latest and greatest purchase by saying, "Look!! It'll range a water tower at a mile!" Well, no shit!! Just about ANY rangefinder can do that! Same goes for the ultra-reflective stop sign at 800 yards, or a random rock on a hillside at 1155 yards.

What I want to know is, and I've asked this repeatedly in other threads, will your LRF range a 2 MOA steel target at 1192 yards after five or six other squads have all taken turns treating it like a punching bag, so it's splotchy and mottled and blends in with the terrain. Can it range that 3/4 IPSC at 865 yards when it's surrounded by vegetation? I had a Sig Kilo 2000 that could range all those 1575 MOA-sized targets (the water towers, the office buildings, the mountain side, etc.), but once it was match time, it wasn't as reliable as I needed it to be. So, my next purchase was a Leica 2000b. Let's just say there's a reason I'm now on my Vortex and it's really impressed me. I actually trust the returns I get with the Vortex and it has ranged those small, bullet riddled targets at 2006 yards.

I know you said that you just wanted a rangefinder, but if I were you I would really consider a Sig Kilo3000BDX for around $1,000 ( or a little less from a Hide vendor) The Kilo3000BDX will link with Bluetooth to a Bluetooth enabled Kestrel and transmit the range to the Kestrel. I use a Kestrel Elite (same as 5700AB) and it works very well. Besides transmitting the range to the Kestrel, it gets the ballistic solution from the Kestrel and will display the solution for elevation and wind in the LED display inside the binocular. And although the Kilo300BDS optics aren't Swarovski or Leica quality, for the price they are very good. As to ranging performance, the Kilo3000BDX will reliably range on all kinds of targets well past 2000 yds. In a side by side comparison with my Vectronix Terrapin (old model) the Kilo3000BDX reliably ranged FARTHER than my Terrapin. With my unit, I ranged a building at over 3,700 yds. The Kilo is easier to range farther because by holding the ranging button down it goes into continuous scan mode so you hold the button down until you get a range. With the Terrapin, you push the button and if it doesn't get a range the display gives you a --- then you have to wait a sec then push the button again.

One caution, I think (but am not 100% sure) that the current Kestrel/Hornady 4DOF meters are not Sig compatible, right now only the Applied Ballistics Kestrels are Sig compatible, and of course you need a Kestrel with Bluetooth to link to a Sig Kilo3000BDX. Hopefully Kestrel with fix the 4DOF units with a software upgrade.

Last edited:
Anyone use the G7 BR2?? It seems they are discontinued but hving a sale. I really don’t need it to talk to my kestrel or anything. Fancy. I like Leica but I hate their “push” range style. Does the G7 actively range?

I don’t want binos , I have fancy sets.

I’ve had a Leica 2400 since last September and it’s consistent out to 1200 on steel, it’ll range tree lines and other large objects well past that though. Unfortunately it quit ranging anything a few weeks ago right before deer season opened down here, to Leica's credit they quoted me 8 weeks on warranty repair however I had a brand new unit in hand 10 days later.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I got the Sig 3000BDX on open box from cameraland for $900. Does 2000 yards + without breaking a sweat. You can turn off all of the various features pretty easily.
Everyone says their rangefinder does 2k plus but seems they are always lazing billboards, mountains or buildings. How's it do at 1200 and in on small targets? 1.5 moa sized stuff. I'm seriously looking into rangefinder binos and either want these or I'm getting the leica set. Any input would be awesome.

Reactions: seansmd
Let me preface this by saying I've owned a few LRFs, but so far, the only one that has really impressed me has been the Vortex Razor 4K, so I'm not trying to insult anyone when I ask if your LRF can really do what everyone claims. I've said it repeatedly in other threads, but I get tired of seeing people hype up their latest and greatest purchase by saying, "Look!! It'll range a water tower at a mile!" Well, no shit!! Just about ANY rangefinder can do that! Same goes for the ultra-reflective stop sign at 800 yards, or a random rock on a hillside at 1155 yards.

What I want to know is, and I've asked this repeatedly in other threads, will your LRF range a 2 MOA steel target at 1192 yards after five or six other squads have all taken turns treating it like a punching bag, so it's splotchy and mottled and blends in with the terrain. Can it range that 3/4 IPSC at 865 yards when it's surrounded by vegetation? I had a Sig Kilo 2000 that could range all those 1575 MOA-sized targets (the water towers, the office buildings, the mountain side, etc.), but once it was match time, it wasn't as reliable as I needed it to be. So, my next purchase was a Leica 2000b. Let's just say there's a reason I'm now on my Vortex and it's really impressed me. I actually trust the returns I get with the Vortex and it has ranged those small, bullet riddled targets at 2006 yards.
How's the vortex run against the new Nikon? The fx1000??? I think. I played with one and it was really good but the open center reticle made it a little tough to hit the smaller targets.

How's the vortex run against the new Nikon? The fx1000??? I think. I played with one and it was really good but the open center reticle made it a little tough to hit the smaller targets.

I can't tell you. I've only handled the Nikon twice and that was a few months before I bought the Vortex, but I have taken the Vortex out to 2006 on steel. You've read my post, so you know what I look for in a LRF. With that said, the Vortex reticle is just a large circle, so it might not be what you're looking for.

I can't tell you. I've only handled the Nikon twice and that was a few months before I bought the Vortex, but I have taken the Vortex out to 2006 on steel. You've read my post, so you know what I look for in a LRF. With that said, the Vortex reticle is just a large circle, so it might not be what you're looking for.

That's fair. I'll look into it. I don't have a lot of rangefinder experience and besides the nikon. They've all bee old, very budget minded ones.