• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Range finder ??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
What do you guys think is the best range finder on the market for the cash. I would like to have one that will range coyotes or steel tactical type targets out to 800 yards. I am not to up on what range finders work for this type of application. I have a Bushnell that is just OK at best, and it will not range animals at all past 150 yards. thanks Lee

Re: Range finder ??

Get a Swaro, it will range small calfs in the bright TEXAS sun at 1400 yards all day long, my Leica won't do it at all past 800

I agree with Mammal. The Swaro reticle sux, but the glass and the laser are so good you can ditch your binoculars.

I can easily get deer sized game past 1000 with my Leica, it is all about being able to hold it steady. Rocks and bushes to 1300. Flat ground beyond 800. It is a nice unit.

i went w the crf1200. 540ish shipped from cameraland for a demo. hit my door 26 hrs after placing my order. immediately started hittin houses and cars around the farm, farthest thing i ranged was a brick house at 1203. only thng farther i could see was a house a bit farther out, but theres some trees halfway there. couldnt get through the trees to the house.

took it to mifflin for some shootin thurday, even though the weather was bad. was able to hit the farthest steel targets at 1030 ez, and trees at 1100 w 2 miles reported vis at an airport close by in light rain and fog. as the visibilty diminshed and the rain intensified the farthest thing i could range was a dead tree trunk at 830yds. once the snow started, and we couldnt even see the tree any more 500yds was about it. by that time we couldnt spot much trace, and really couldnt get any reliable hits on steel past 5-600 w any rfile we had, a couple 308s, a 280 and a couple 223s. the wind was whippin and shifty, and the conditions were downright rough. my buddys bushnell LRF could only manage the 830 tree early in the day, and was useless when the rain picked up, and in the snow.

ive never handled the swavorski, im sure its a step up, but im durn happy w my leica for the $$

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think is the best range finder on the market for the cash. I would like to have one that will range coyotes or steel tactical type targets out to 800 yards. I am not to up on what range finders work for this type of application. I have a Bushnell that is just OK at best, and it will not range animals at all past 150 yards. thanks Lee </div></div>

im actually looking at a Bushnell

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-sport-450-laser-rangefinder.html

but i mainly do target, how far are you able to reach a target? it says reflective is 999yds.

You will NOT be happy with that model. I have a new Bushnell Legend 1200 right now. It is top of the line and in some conditions has problems ranging at 500.

If you want a "budget" rangefinder, then the lowest I would go would be a Bushnell Elite 1500. You can still find new ones out there and used are floating around. Bushnell stopped making them for the public market because they have been assigned an NSN and will be an issued item (or so I was told). The 1500 works well in most conditions for reflective targets under 1k.

The school that I just went though reminded me that there are still times when a skilled eyeball and a mil reticle will work better than a LRF. If you can't afford a good LRF, then stick with the reticle and mil relation formula while you save up.

In another week this Legend 1200 will go back to Bushnell. I can't believe they replaced the 1500 with it.

I have a leica 1200 which is decent but recently got a pair of Leica Geovids (10x42) and they dominate for ranging long range small targets (coyotes). Buddy has a swaro and i would say they are just as good as the Geovids for ranging but I opted for the all in one package.

I had the Leica 1200 scan, and went to the swaro's. The swaro's are hands down better.
Just don't let the battery die half way through a ukd shoot!! Still pissed about that.

the swaros reticle is slightly to big. I went with the leica geovids. binos and LRF in one great package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will NOT be happy with that model. I have a new Bushnell Legend 1200 right now. It is top of the line and in some conditions has problems ranging at 500.

If you want a "budget" rangefinder, then the lowest I would go would be a Bushnell Elite 1500. You can still find new ones out there and used are floating around. Bushnell stopped making them for the public market because they have been assigned an NSN and will be an issued item (or so I was told). The 1500 works well in most conditions for reflective targets under 1k.

The school that I just went though reminded me that there are still times when a skilled eyeball and a mil reticle will work better than a LRF. If you can't afford a good LRF, then stick with the reticle and mil relation formula while you save up.

In another week this Legend 1200 will go back to Bushnell. I can't believe they replaced the 1500 with it. </div></div>

I really need to range out to about 200-250 yards tops. my current shooting area is max 250. not until I have some time to make my berms will I be able to reach out farther (and that isnt planned for anytime in the near future)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Legend 1200 will do 200-250 as long as you have a good unobstructed target. You CANNOT range through loopholes in the brush. That failed miserably. </div></div>

cool, yea its a straight shot open field. Given its a temp thing (maybe a year or so) im going to try and grab one on ebay. no reason to drop 200 for a temp range finder.

Maybe you don't need to spend all that $$ on a Leica or Swaro. I have been using a Nikon Monarch 1200 for a year now with great results in all types of conditions. I had a Leica 1200 and got rid of it. I have some issues with seeing red LED in bright sunlight, so the reticle on the Monarch suits me to a tee.

I've got a Leica 1200 and they do fine all day long for 1000 yard steel targets and deer. I agree, there's some better ones out there, but for the money and size, I can't complain as the glass in these in superb. Either way you go, I'd skip the Bushnels. Just my 2 cents worth.

how are the range finding capabilities on LRF binos? like the geovids etc

Sold my Leica 1200 LRF and got a Zeiss victory 8x34 prf much better unit I have ranged elk at 1350 YDS on side of the mountain when hunting and it also has a lot better glass