• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Finder

Beam Divergence is important, especially if you want to range reliably beyond 1000m. The larger the beam divergence the less likely you're going to get good results. Think of it as a cone of accuracy kind of like mils and MOA, and with very tight beam divergence you'll be able to ping far targets reliably. You really have to ignore what the manufacturers say about how far their products can range as generally it's only accurate in rare, best case scenarios. The Leica and Swaro rangefinders are generally considered best in class for the average shooter. For ranging well beyond 1000m, just bite the bullet and get a mil-grade rangefinder from Vectronix.

That leads me to follow-on questions. When range is determined, how accurate is it? I.e range of object at 1000m +/- 50m or something like that. Or maybe max effective range is between 100-1000 meters with 95%?

It depends on the quality of the rangefinder, but generally the accuracy tolerance is substantially better than +/- 50m, more like +/- 1m or usually better. It's an optical physics thing really. The problem with lower quality rangefinders is that the further out you go, the more it requires good environmental conditions and target surfaces normal to your line of sight with highly reflective materials. The average rangefinder will nail steel targets out to 600m with ease, but have a hard time ranging a small wooden stump next to it or a bush (yeah, forget that). The mil-grade rangefinders can pretty much be pointed at a grassy knoll at 2000m and still give you an accurate measurement.

What should I be looking for in selecting a good range finder?

#1 your NEEDS ... max range needed, features...normal targets u will need to range
#2 your budget...

IE, if you max range is 5/600y, then ANY 1000y LRF will work, if 1000y is your limits, you still have 6 or so to chose from, past 1k, your choices narrow,

Have you thought about getting one that is built into Binoculars. I have the Bushnell fusion and I have nothing but good things to say about them! The price is right and they are very visible(The LCD screen is)

For the money, the Bushnell Fusions can't be beat. I had the older 1200's i think, and pinged a tree at 1623 yards. I've since bought a Vectronix Terrapin, and pinging that same tree, from the same spot, and it gave me 1621.

The price really escalates for equipment like the Vectronix or Terrapin. Is the technology really that expensive to produce or are less expensive options just a few months away? In looking around I saw one item that was especially interesting and may a good fit for my interest in shooting but included some features for calculating holdover/windage. Thoughts on the G7 BR2? Since I have some interest in shooting at 1000m maybe up to 1200m and I like the idea of being able quickly calculate a shooting solution in a nice neat but not too expensive package - that system looks pretty good. However, I think the beam width isn't narrow enough to really put it in that serious long range shooting class under all types of weather conditions. I guess I would really like to see the capabilities of the G7 BR2 with a better, more reliable range out to about 2000m. That would perhaps exceed my needs but also leave some room to grow into, and from what I gather, a little additional range tends to make those closer in distances a bit more reliably/accurately read.

The Bushnell's can't be beat for the money. You can grab an Elite 1600 ARC for 500 or less and it will do fine. I've ranged targets and hillsides at 1000 and I've hit 1250 and 1400 off a tripod. I would look at it this way. If what you are shooting at will be at 1000yds or less, spend 450-500 on a Bushnell. If you are going to be shooting ELR and regularly ranging beyond 1000yds into the mid and upper teens and beyond, then its time to step up to the next level and buy a Terrapin.

I had a Nikon rated for 1200 and was having issues with it at only a few hundred yards. I picked up a Bushnell used and couldn't believe the difference. I've fondled a Terrapin, they are really nice, but probably overkill for most people.

When I get the opportunity to participate in one the those LR workshops, perhaps I will have some exposure to some different equipment, try it, or listen to others with experience discuss their practical use and then decide what price range will suit my needs and my budget. Right now I am scrambling to figure out how I am going to afford the rifle I want to get this whole ball rolling. So, for now I will have to be content with info gathering and rely on others expert advice.