• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range finders linked to Kestrel 5700

captdan

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I cannot seem to verify a detail regarding the Leica CRF 2800.com. I've read that the unit will not provide ballistic date past 800 yards. However, it seems to also indicate that the unit will provide ballistic data out as far as it can range when paired with the Kestrel 5700. Does anyone here have one that can indeed verify this is a fact. How far can the 2800.com range in ideal conditions?

I'm looking at the Sig Sauer Kilo 2400, or the Leica 2800, I am leaning toward the 2800 due to the onboard compass. I also hear the 2800 has had connection issues with the Kestrel. Also looked at the Sig Sauer 3000 binos, but I had a very good pair of Leopold that also had mildots for ranging ( old fashioned and like the manual back up).

Before anyone ask, I am using these tools for tactical / long ranger target shooting, not hunting.

Any insight would be appreciated... thanks!

One thing I can tell you is that the Bluetooth connection in the Sig Kilo 2400 can be very finnicky depending on your phone, which can make pairing with the app a pain. Seems to work fairly well with iOS devices, Android is hit and miss (didn't work well with either of my Pixel 2/3 phones).

Other than that it's a really cool all in one device once you've got it all configured.

Sorry, no experience with the Leica 2800.com

Reactions: captdan
I only have experience with the latest version, I do know that you can tweak the setting in your kestrel to keep it connected. I had issues with my con-x and adjusted the kestrel settings and it never disconnected again.

I only have experience with the latest version, I do know that you can tweak the setting in your kestrel to keep it connected. I had issues with my con-x and adjusted the kestrel settings and it never disconnected again.

With the 2800 can you use it for ballistic data past 800 yards when connected to the Kestrel?

Can you elaborate on what settings you adjusted in the Kestrel?

Interesting, since they didn't update the Con-x for Android. :(

What app do you use? the ballistics or the link when your shooting? Thanks

The search ended last night. After calling Leica even they told me the 2800 has issues connecting to the Kestrel, or better stated staying connected past 6 feet away. They said it may even have issues if I kept the Kestrel in my back pack as the signal has to pass through your body. I'm glad they were honest and I'm sure the unit is a great tool, but staying connected to me is paramount. That left the Sig Sauer kilo 2400. I decided if I were going that route I may as well get the Kilo 3000. Everything I hear about it is great. I ordered it from a large supplier and if I don't care for it I can always sent it back. The only draw back I can see with the 3000 is it has no compass. To get that in a laser ranging binocular you need to buy the Leica at 3K, and then perhaps back at connection issues. From there you can spend 7K. Seems the Kilo 3000 may be the best bang for the buck. ( Now I have a spare set of binoculars )
Thanks for the info gents.)

What app do you use? the ballistics or the link when your shooting? Thanks
Out of those two you would use ballistics if you wanted firing solutions on the phone. The more "ruggedized" field method would be LRF to Kestrel and the Kestrel is doing the calculations (or the LRF with environment from the Kestrel depending on your LRF's features)

Think of the Link app as the display for one of those home use wireless weather stations.

So this is a slight thread hijack, but I have a Sig KILO3000 BDX on the way. If I was going to buy my first Kestrel, which one would you get? If the Sig binos come with the applied ballistic calculator software, I wouldn't need to pay the extra for the elite 5700 right?

With the 2800 can you use it for ballistic data past 800 yards when connected to the Kestrel?

Yep. Mine is GI banded to my kestrel. They remember each other with bluetooth. Turn on kestrel, turn on leica. Range an object, it beams it to kestrel and beams the info back to leica without me takin my eye off. I set it up for 5 and 15mph winds as well. Itll tell me the hold for each after elevation hold. Hope thathat helps.

Reactions: Alikessu
So this is a slight thread hijack, but I have a Sig KILO3000 BDX on the way. If I was going to buy my first Kestrel, which one would you get? If the Sig binos come with the applied ballistic calculator software, I wouldn't need to pay the extra for the elite 5700 right?
I believe the 3000 BDX has the ultralight version of AB on it so is limited to 800 yard max solutions unless paired to a device with the full capability.
More info here:

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm