• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Finders under $1,000

Swarovski LG30's 20 MOA aiming circle

I have gotten my Swaro to range street signs at 1952, using another sign post as a rest. Not exactly stable. I have ranged hillsides at 1500+ consistently. The ONLY thing I don't like is the size, I love the size of the Leicas, but the performance and glass in the Swaro is top notch.
At 1,952 yards it's more than likely that you're ranging the area surrounding the sign, not the sign(s) itself/themselves. The Swarovski's aiming circle is 20 MOA. At 1,952 yards that 20 MOA covers a diameter of more than 34 feet (and that doesn't account for beam divergence), so while you could be ranging the sign(s), it's more likely that you're actually ranging something in front of, behind, or to the side of the sign(s) itself/themselves. That's one of the reasons that the Swarovski LG30 seems to be able to obtain readings so consistently - it's aiming at and hitting a larger target.

At 1,952 yards it's more than likely that you're ranging the area surrounding the sign, not the sign(s) itself/themselves. The Swarovski's aiming circle is 20 MOA. At 1,952 yards that 20 MOA covers a diameter of more than 34 feet (and that doesn't account for beam divergence), so while you could be ranging the sign(s), it's more likely that you're actually ranging something in front of, behind, or to the side of the sign(s) itself/themselves. That's one of the reasons that the Swarovski LG30 seems to be able to obtain readings so consistently - it's aiming at and hitting a larger target.

You make some very good points, however I would argue that it is more likely he is ranging the sign than anything around it. Most street signs are effectively an array of retro-reflectors, making them pretty much the ideal target for ranging.

Or just say f it.

All the lasers under $1k just pissed me off pretty much. I got a 2km hit once on a swaro with a giant assed glass building at night.
I was tired of driving 5 hours to setup a 1 mile shot and having to rely on something janky.

Enter the Vectronix. At just under 2k, it has never let me down. Not once. And the more you use a laser, the more times you've been let down. It's like picking up chicks from a trailer park.

20121019_182908.jpg

RTK - I'm given to understand that this laser has the LTI TruPulse 360 as it's core. I have used the TruPulse 360 and found the bushnell to be a little better (the new ARC 1600, not the older 1500 lasers). This may or may not hold true of the G7 - if it doesn't kick the crap out of a TruPulse though it's not worth the monies.