• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range finders ?

Not anecdotal but practicaly tested and prowen in our testing on most LRFs we tried , definetly been the case on number of our Sig Kilo 2200s as well as some other RF Binos we tested , considerable improvement in ranging on fresh batteries also original battery supplied with the unit might not be the best or have a anything near full charge

Not anecdotal but practicaly tested and prowen in our testing on most LRFs we tried , definetly been the case on number of our Sig Kilo 2200s as well as some other RF Binos we tested , considerable improvement in ranging on fresh batteries also original battery supplied with the unit might not be the best or have a anything near full charge
Well that's pretty important! Glad you were able to confirm. Good thing for folks to be able to check if having trouble getting the returns they want. Won't make a 1k into a 2k, but enough for me to be more careful about spare batteries.

Who has experience with the Burris Eliminator rangefinder/scope? I don't see anyone talking about it on this site so I ASSume it's junk. Seems like a grand idea though.

Who has experience with the Burris Eliminator rangefinder/scope? I don't see anyone talking about it on this site so I ASSume it's junk. Seems like a grand idea though.

Oh, I can't let that comment just sit there:
The Burris Eliminator works fantastic at what it's designed to do. It's a hunting scope. It has a built-in range finder, and a built-in ballistic calculator, so it moves your point-of-impact dot to the precise location based on conditions and ammo. It has been the best-selling, and best-reviewed scope from Burris for several years now. We've sold thousands and thousands to hunters all over the world.

Why no talk here? It's not a long range precision scope, and it's not a competition scope. For one, it takes a big bite out of the sport of long range precision. A bit like asking why motorcycle enthusiasts don't talk about an automatic motorcycle.

For another, it's limited in its fine-grain precision. The LED dots that show aim point are great for hunting, but for super tight groups at distances, they just aren't fine enough.

But my main point would be this: it's not a rangefinder, which is what this thread is about.

--geoff

Reactions: Sainte70
Oh, I can't let that comment just sit there:
The Burris Eliminator works fantastic at what it's designed to do. It's a hunting scope. It has a built-in range finder, and a built-in ballistic calculator, so it moves your point-of-impact dot to the precise location based on conditions and ammo. It has been the best-selling, and best-reviewed scope from Burris for several years now. We've sold thousands and thousands to hunters all over the world.

Why no talk here? It's not a long range precision scope, and it's not a competition scope. For one, it takes a big bite out of the sport of long range precision. A bit like asking why motorcycle enthusiasts don't talk about an automatic motorcycle.

For another, it's limited in its fine-grain precision. The LED dots that show aim point are great for hunting, but for super tight groups at distances, they just aren't fine enough.

But my main point would be this: it's not a rangefinder, which is what this thread is about.

--geoff
How about slap a good 2k yard finder into an xtr? No need for ballistics or compensation just give ke a number! I’d be a taker.

How about slap a good 2k yard finder into an xtr? No need for ballistics or compensation just give ke a number! I’d be a taker.

No kidding, right! I have no idea why this doesn't exist. Simple, straightforward HUD info in the reticle. If I worked for a scope company I'd be all over that.

No kidding, right! I have no idea why this doesn't exist. Simple, straightforward HUD info in the reticle. If I worked for a scope company I'd be all over that.
Oh I thought Geoff at Burris meant you did work at Burris! Well call them and tell them to get on it lol.

Reactions: GeoffatBurris
I'm tempted to try a few available on Amazon and send them back if they aren't up to snuff...
Anyone else use (abuse) the prime return policy like this? I've done it a few times now with no issue whatsoever.
I don’t recommend people abuse any company’s return/warranty service. It’s great when you (the customer) needs it but to go in with a mind set that I’m going to be returing a item is BS. This behavior ruins it for others in the future. Do your due diligence and live with whatever you decide on.

Reactions: rsb
I have a Bushnell Conx, as well as the older ARC 1600. Also a Leica 1600. The Leica has great glass, to the point that I occasionally leave my binos at home when hunting. Both bushnell's range better than my Leica though, and I have never had the issues that some in this thread have had. No doubt some of that is luck, as lower priced items tend to be hit or miss.

However, I wonder if those of you who can't hit the broad side of a barn with your Bushnell LRF's, have checked them for beam accuracy/divergence. If your beam is hitting off to one side or another, you can't expect to get hits on realistic targets at longer ranges. If your LRF has this problem, Bushnell will swap it for a new one very quickly.

For the money, I think the CONX is incredibly tough to beat. A far as the new Terrapin goes, I am curious to see it, but a friend of mine has already tested it, and found it severely lacking compared to the older models. He has a bunch of high end models to use at work, but chooses a CONX for personal use.

I have a Bushnell Conx, as well as the older ARC 1600. Also a Leica 1600. The Leica has great glass, to the point that I occasionally leave my binos at home when hunting. Both bushnell's range better than my Leica though, and I have never had the issues that some in this thread have had. No doubt some of that is luck, as lower priced items tend to be hit or miss.

However, I wonder if those of you who can't hit the broad side of a barn with your Bushnell LRF's, have checked them for beam accuracy/divergence. If your beam is hitting off to one side or another, you can't expect to get hits on realistic targets at longer ranges. If your LRF has this problem, Bushnell will swap it for a new one very quickly.

For the money, I think the CONX is incredibly tough to beat. A far as the new Terrapin goes, I am curious to see it, but a friend of mine has already tested it, and found it severely lacking compared to the older models. He has a bunch of high end models to use at work, but chooses a CONX for personal use.
I have found the same results as you and your mate, The ConX is an incredible piece of kit in skilled hands, They claim furry things at 600yds I have ranged them at 1400,1500 and 1600yds, One person ranged a Coyote at 1416yds in the Snow, I have zapped Items well beyond what Bushnell Claim and the Accuracy of the Ballistics software combined with it's ranging abilities in the wrong hands is a worrying thought, If a person can shot a .22 well at 50 to 100yds with the correct data fed in to the ConX "Any" Novice could be making shots in excess of a 1000yds within 24 hours with a larger calibre weapon, I implied this in one of my very first posts on the ConX about a year ago, The ConX can and will make an expert of any novice and in some areas of the world that could be a worrying thought.

All the rubbish about ranging things out past 2, 3, 4000yds is just that, most people can't even see that far and only the top 1% of people can shoot that far So they don't need a rangefinder that can go that far out, That is more about bragging rights than a persons skill, Owning an extreme range LRF does not give someone the skills required to shoot that far, In fact if anything it will give the owner of the rangefinder regrets because their rifle Nor Them have what it takes to make such a shot,

Anyone having trouble ranging with the ConX either needs to revise how they use it and try it out on a tripod to hold it steady or send it back to Bushnell for a Tune Up, because they are really that Good.

At $227 cost to me, the Bushnell can not be beat. I'm hitting 950+ yards off hand. When on a tripod, which is super easy due to it's universal tripod use, I have trouble finding distances long enough, but not too long, to range. I feel like it would Range Pike's Peak 72 miles away if I could hold it still enough. ;)

I would like to try the Nikon w/ stabilization though. At sub $500 for well over a mile seems very reasonable. IF you can hold it and range a mile w/ the stabilization.

Reactions: MilDot1960
I just tried a Nikon Monarch 3000 and am impressed. Ranged a ~8" X 24" street sign at 3266 yards. Ranged deer out to over 1300 yards. I did have some trouble trying to range non reflective targets over 1000 in full sunlight. Other than the one time it wouldn't range across the ice covered lake to the tree line, I have been more than impressed with it. It is hard to get photos through it with a cell phone, but I managed to get a few.
3266.jpg
990.jpg

Thinking about upgrading my range finder. I have a Leupold RX-1000. Like to stay with something with red read out. What are you guys using?
I just received my Leica 2700 B from optics planet yesterday. My first range check was at a wheel barrel sized rock 1594 yards away. It's super fast and very compact. My first impression is I love it! I have two Leupolds and one bushnell range finder now and the Leica blows them away!

Look on Ebay. Seriously. It's where I go for ACOGs exclusively now, I pay half price or less and if it comes with any damage I just send it in to Trij and they send me back a like new unit. Usually there are pics of the box so you know the date on the tritium.

Just scored a Litton Mk5, it's a compact military LRF from turn of the century. Litton sold out and the Mk5 was never issued in large numbers so finding info or a book is damn hard. Pricing ranges from $3500 to $400, no telling what they cost new but I bet they weren't cheap. I got mine for $400, which is usually the price for broken ones but this one is supposed to be in fine shape and guaranteed to work (the good return policy the guy had confirmed that). So I bit. Don't have it yet so I can only tell you what I've been told or what little I found online.

They pop up from time to time and are the only LRF's I'm aware of that are this price and have this kind of performance. You may not need an LRF capable of working out to 5 or 10 miles but the farther they work the more accurate they are with closer targets. One guy said this one is "99% accurate to 2k or 2 miles" and another said it's "within 10m at 5.82 miles" and yet another said it's "rated for 10 miles max" though this guy likely means 10km because the reading is in meters and only has four digits to display, so 9999 is the highest it can display. Oh yeah, exactly what I was looking for. Does have a class 4 laser operating at around 1064nm so it'll blind you and won't show up on NODs either which means they aren't for everyone and require some knowledge and intelligence and forethought to use.

They come with a nylon thick padded case and are rugged in that they're designed like other military models (resembles a canteen cup with latches on both sides and is rugged as hell, looks to be about the same size as one too). Originally they come with a book and some other stuff including a tripod. Mine is missing that but I think I'll be okay. The LRF has a bipod stud built into it.

Here's a picture for another one on sale, mine is just like it but no manual. They tend to sell very fast it seems. I have a thread on 'em and one member was nice enough to tell me how they work and confirmed they are powerful and accurate and appear simple to use. If you do get these, please be careful and don't blind yourself or others, even reflected radiation from non-reflective surfaces can be dangerous and the advice "treat it like a loaded gun" is good advice and most certainly applies to this and other IR lasers (even "eye safe" stuff isn't really eye safe and should be treated the same way too). And again, they won't show up on NODs like a lot of the other civilian models will.
s-l225.jpg

BTW, if ANYONE has a manual for a Mk5 or knows where I can find one PLEASE PM me! Only thing I'm missing that I really need. Haven't been able to find one online, will probably need to find someone with one and offer to pay them to scan or copy it for me.

Last edited: