• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s range hilarity, sad but true.

usmc02xx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2012
Locust Grove GA, USA
I thought I’d share a funny story from range. Been lurker here for years but never felt the need to join in. Plenty of experts around so why waste your time with my opinion? But this I feel is worth sharing. Its long, but is worth it. This is a story of 6 hours at my local public range.Our local range has recently gone from free to needing to have a state pass. It’s been fairly successful in keeping away the crazies, so I had gotten lax in my range awareness. Not so good an idea as it turns out.
On this particular day it started off with the guy (hence known as hillbilly) and his wife next to me having taken 4 of the provided target stands for their one lane. I do’t use these, so no biggie to me. Well, sure enough a gentleman shows up with his kid and he decides directly to my right is a great place to be. When cold gets called he walks out and sees these 4 target stands, ask the woman at the firing bench if she was using it and she says “yes, we are using both of those stands.” He says ok and walks back to the 100 yard line and starts to pick up a target stand and her husband yell’s back at him to leave those alone because they are using both of those also. Luckily the guy was able to find an open stand from 5 lanes down to use. When he gets back to the line it seems he left his targets in car, but hillbilly and his wife didn’t want to wait to go hot again for the 3 minutes it would take him. I ignored their grumbling and told the guy go ahead and get it, it may be awhile before we go cold again. As soon as he walks away, leaving his 10yr old kid alone none the less, the hillbilly starts loudly complaining about what an ass that guy was trying to steal his stands and he didn’t even bring a target. Being an old Marine, I quickly told him that maybe if he wasn’t taking every f*&king stand on the range he wouldn’t have had to try and take it… Wasn’t well received, but we agreed to disagree. After my kind act of defending this guy’s actions he proceeds to pick up his weapon during a cold range, load it and then hands it to his kid. After the initial shock of it I inform him that range rules state no manipulation of weapons while we are cold, if he’s not going down range then hang out by rear benches. He apologizes and acts good rest of day. So far, so good.
10 minutes later 2 Russian guys show up. One speaks English, the other not so much. But the guy has 3 hk’s. A sl8 and 2 416’s none the less. Nice stuff. On the very next cold I walk down range to put up new stick on targets. While walking back (at about the 30rd line) the young guy not only has rifle in hand he’s got a mag in and chambering the rifle that is now pointed at me. I stop moving, yell up to his line to please put the weapon down, can’t touch it with peeps down range. Young guy looks at me like I’m crazy (no English) older guy tells him to put it down apparently because he does and I continue to walk back to my line. I’m pretty pissed at this point but trying to be gentleman like, since we are all armed. On the next cold I’m walking back in, same MF is has now shouldered the rifle and is looking through the scope at people downrange beside his target, mag in. This time I’m not so nice. I yell to him something along the lines of “If you don’t put that f’ing weapon down I am getting my glock and we are going to discuss what it feels like to have a loaded weapon pointed at you”. That’s basically what was said. I’m kinda pissed so it may have had more bad words than that. Range master hears the commotion. Comes over and start yelling what’s going on and stuff. This is the same range master that one day threatened to kick me off the range because I was cleaning my 700 bolt, in my hands not in the rifle, while sitting at bench. This same range master acts like this is no big deal and ask them to re-read the range rules and not to touch weapons. Being very mad I left my station walked 30 yards away behind firing line and smoked about 5 cigarettes before I could join the normal world.

And finally about an hour later guy comes in with wife and kids. He’s carrying an SKS with all kinds of tacticool stuff so I was pretty sure this was going to be interesting. He sets up, no problem and seems at least quazi sane so whatever… While they are setting up they put up a pistol target about 3 yards out. This is a rifle range with the berm at 120 yards. No way are they hitting berm, but what do I know right? Not my business. Well. Him and his son start shooting the rifle. I’m hearing “sniper” and half moa and all kinds of stuff. I peer over being nozy through my scope and if he has broken less than 4 inches I’ll suck my own… well you get it. So I giggle. But while I’m looking I see grass go flying up in front of my face. Seems the daughter was now up to some pistol shooting and 3 yards as taxing her accuracy. Actually, to be fair she was just flinching so bad that she couldn’t hit the 2ft by 2ft target. She did manage to break up his pvc stand though. Good , F*&k him I thought. At this point I have ceased shooting because I dont trust them not to hit me. I thought it best to watch. Mom steps up, shes as bad as daughter. Once again, being the nice guy, I explain to her that the range requires that impact touch berm first due to ricochets, and that maybe if she sat down and shot from the bench she could do that safely. She says thanks and tries it out. Impact now on berm, I’m a genius. But they are hitting kinda close to my pvc stand 3 lanes over. I figure since she’s kinda squared away I would finish my last 7 reloads and call it a day. No sooner did I get my NPA then I see a splash inch from my stand. I think wow, that was close. Then BOOM, I see white pvc go flying from the right side of my stand. WTF. I cant see the plastic on ground so I’m thinking maybe I imagined that shit. But next shot it happens again on the other arm. OMFG seriously? Rounds stop going bang and I look over. It’s the dad shooting pistol. Sigh. Excuse me sir, your rounds are impacting on my lane and you just hit my target stand… Twice.. He proceed to tell me, angrily I might add, “Well, you told us to sit down and shoot so what the fu*& you expect me to do about it?” So now Marine Sergeant is full bloom. I’m laying prone behind my 700 (thankfully) so I roll to my side and say “First, I didn’t tell you to do shit. I informed you that you weren’t following range rules and how you might be able to become compliant. Secondly, what I EXPECT you to do is sit down, STFU and stop firing until you can arrange your shit so it’s not hitting other peoples targets”. He was stunned, but at least he stfu and stopped firing. Range cold came 2 minutes later. On the way back in he comes up to me and starts to be officer friendly. Says “hey man, I see what your sayin and why it was going across our lane to yours. I fixed it, hell my daughter was hitting my stand too.” I wasn’t in friend mood anymore so I gave him my final rant of “well maybe shes shooting your target because instead of giving her instruction, LIKE YOU SHOULD BE BECAUSE SHE CANT F*&KING SHOOT, your playing sniper wannabe grab ass with that POS SKS. If you trained her then at least your target stand would still be viable. PS, f*&k off”. Grabbed my stuff and left. It took about 20 miles of the trip back home to start laughing about it. This is a week later so its funny as hell to me now. But I needed to get it off my chest. Wifey didn’t see the amount of hilarity I did so I figured y’all might.

Re: range hilarity, sad but true.

QMDU7.jpg

Sad thing is most of us have seen the very same type of things at our range(s). I had a couple of fellas point a loaded AR at me once while 'shooting a rap video' at our indoor pistol range. Dude next to me drew down on them and shit went real real quick. I packed and GTFO - Last time I ever went to Bills Gun Shop and Range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: over_watch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sad thing is most of us have seen the very same type of things at our range(s). I had a couple of fellas point a loaded AR at me once while 'shooting a rap video' at our indoor pistol range. Dude next to me drew down on them and shit went real real quick. I packed and GTFO - Last time I ever went to Bills Gun Shop and Range. </div></div>

Holy crap!

It is getting "cooler" here so now I will stop going to the range here for a while, even members get loopy stupid dumb awful moronic. We go in the desert or to a different range during the winter.

2 weeks ago, I stopped by the 300 yard on the way to the pistol portion, cause I saw a gentleman I had talked with earlier in the week. We started chatting I offered for him to come shoot with the wife and I, he is ex-LEO and BP now and quite good too. So we started talking quickly then he stopped and was looking at this husband/wife team on the line.

What are they shooting a 338 lapua or something?
No...
Whats up?
She is holding the rifle like an RPG...
What?!
<notice she is>
We hear, "Hang on let me put hte target down range."
<husband walks down the lane while his wife with bolt closed, round in chamber, rifle being held now correctly and she is looking through scope as he asks...
"How does this look?"

You sure you don't want to come with us?
No, let me get my crap and get out of here before I have to administer First Aid.

We had a great time shooting, one of the really awesome IPSC shooters comes over to chat with me. He has helped me with my form and such, great guy, ex-USMC was in Korea, still one hell of an amazing shot too, insanely good. We tell him the story, he just shakes his head and says.

"It is that time of year..."

A friend asked me what I find discouraging about shooting, I said that is easy, cleaning and other people at the range. I just hate how people are awful at safety, and I hate everything safety, I was the chairperson for safety at a job, oh I despise safety meetings and safety Fridays... But how we get to the point the OP had, which you can't even begin to fathom how people are so damn stupid. To almost an OK Corral thing in at an indoor range.

Thank God for BLM land up the wazoo out here.

yep, every time I go to our range something happens, but its usually minor and just annoying. this really had me flaming. Our range is covered, and the roof of it has wholes all over it. every time somone tells me not to worry, they know what tehy are doing i point up and say "so did all of those MF's". Im really tempted to join up at a members only kinda place just to be safer.

Members only still isn't all that and a bag of chips. I just want to buy some land and make my own, we are trying to make that a reality.

I am sick of exactly what you talked about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit like this is why I want my own land out in the bum fuck of nowhere so I can shoot by myself,....and fuck everyone else unless I know you.

And people wonder why I fucking hate people. It's not just at the gun range either. </div></div>

X1000

Wow that's bad. At my local public range we also had the fee rule change and for the most part that kept out the riffraff. There are some jackasses that still show up but their numbers are drastically reduced.

Last year there was one guy that showed up while the range was cold and we were waiting on one other slow guy to finish changing out his 100yd target. This asshat began setting up his muzzleloader and fired at something without putting a target up OR checking downrange. Everybody dog-cusses him, calls the game warden (we don't have a RO at this range), and runs him off and take his tag number. Thinking back, I'm pretty sure he must've had his rifle loaded in his car as I don't remember him using a rod at all.

I go there just about every weekend and haven't seen him since nor have we had any similar issues or at least when I've been there. Always gotta look out for the asshats....

My buddy and I were shooting at the State gamelands pistol range in Pa, the line was full of shooters. While the range was HOT some guy attempts to go downrange and post his target. We yell and motion to him get back. He quickly scrambled back in line. Apparently he did not speak English, it was a scary moment.

To the OP, I try and go on off peak hours and when I see people like that at the range I just leave, but good on you to try and help these guys out. I think a lot of people just show up to the range never being exposed to proper range safety (this should be common sense though). It also sounds as though the RO was not doing his job.

Been there.
Goes to show. Just because you can OWN a gun, doesn't mean you can OPERATE one.. Much like driving. Maybe we should have "Gun ED" in shcool!
smile.gif

usmc02xx, i see your tag states Locust Grove, GA.
Where are you shooting now?
I pay about $150/year as a member of Floyd County Wildlife Association. (google will pull up the website)
great 300 yd range.
Unless there is an event, i've rarely had more than 2 or 3 other shooters at the line with me at any given time.
It's a haul to get up there though.
It is just on the other side of Rome, GA. I usually get a couple of shooters with me & make a day trip out of it.
If you GA guys are interested let me know.
Not sure when I will be able to get back up there though.
Getting ready for deer hunting in South GA so the range kind-of takes a back seat for a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly why I went out and found my own range (see below) not a soul for miles.

30de3yc.jpg

</div></div>

NOW THAT.. friend... is a beautiful picture!
That's what you call brass therapy right there...

Exactly the reason why I love shooting at my house. I can shoot to 625 from my porch. If I want to shoot farther than that I've got places within about 20 minutes where I can shoot as far as I want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly why I went out and found my own range (see below) not a soul for miles.

</div></div>

I'd camp out and not leave there for weeks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gildoom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

2 weeks ago, I stopped by the 300 yard on the way to the pistol portion, cause I saw a gentleman I had talked with earlier in the week. We started chatting I offered for him to come shoot with the wife and I, he is ex-LEO and BP now and quite good too. So we started talking quickly then he stopped and was looking at this husband/wife team on the line.

What are they shooting a 338 lapua or something?
No...
Whats up?
She is holding the rifle like an RPG...
What?!
<notice she is>
We hear, "Hang on let me put hte target down range."
<husband walks down the lane while his wife with bolt closed, round in chamber, rifle being held now correctly and she is looking through scope as he asks...
"How does this look?"

You sure you don't want to come with us?
No, let me get my crap and get out of here before I have to administer First Aid.

We had a great time shooting, one of the really awesome IPSC shooters comes over to chat with me. He has helped me with my form and such, great guy, ex-USMC was in Korea, still one hell of an amazing shot too, insanely good. We tell him the story, he just shakes his head and says.

"It is that time of year..."

A friend asked me what I find discouraging about shooting, I said that is easy, cleaning and other people at the range. I just hate how people are awful at safety, and I hate everything safety, I was the chairperson for safety at a job, oh I despise safety meetings and safety Fridays... But how we get to the point the OP had, which you can't even begin to fathom how people are so damn stupid. To almost an OK Corral thing in at an indoor range.

Thank God for BLM land up the wazoo out here. </div></div>

Gildoom - This must be out at SARA Park? My dad (who is 78 now and who lives in Havasu) never wants to go out there for the very reason you've described... we try to shoot whenever I'm in town, so we usually end up at Sam's. We've seen a few idiots there as well. Wish I could get him out into the desert, but at 78, he doesn't care for that any more.

One of my buddies working as range master got plugged when hot brass dropped between the store-bought silicone accessories that the young lady was sporting. She squealed and squeezed (or jerked) the trigger. Not fatal, but some residual disability.

Even with my own range, we occasionally run into problems. We built our own 150yd range on family own land a few years ago. Last year, a cousin of mine, an irresponsible gang banger, decides to bring some friends along to a family get together at the range. Now let me just say, my family is very strict about safety, we don't let each other touch our firearms when an all clear is called. Now these guys that my cousin brought along were the complete opposite, for one, they were shooting handguns sideways, I was getting all my shots with my Beretta within a 6 inch group at 30 yards, these guys couldn't hit a man sized target at ten yards, after about 15 8 round magazines, there was only 9 holes on their target. Shit got real when one of the idiots decides to start waving his handgun around and intentionally pointing it at my family members, trying to look like some sort of badass. It was at this point that 2 AR's, 3 handguns and a shotgun all point at this guy and his group of friends, and I say "I think its about time for you guys to put the guns down and leave". After this, and a few other incidents that happened with guests within the span of two months, we made it a rule never to bring guests there unless they are well known and liked by the family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ricklaut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Gildoom - This must be out at SARA Park? My dad (who is 78 now and who lives in Havasu) never wants to go out there for the very reason you've described... we try to shoot whenever I'm in town, so we usually end up at Sam's. We've seen a few idiots there as well. Wish I could get him out into the desert, but at 78, he doesn't care for that any more. </div></div>

Sure is, I used to love it, but when I pull in, if I see other people, I just turn around and leave (if all the individual ranges are full or have more than 2 people at the 100yd or 1 at the 300yd).

I find less critters out in the desert too, than at the public ranges, so sick of snakes and huge red ants that can carry Buicks.

Next time you are coming into town, shoot me a message, I can show you where I go its off of Interstate 40, have some plates up at 600 yards they are 18"x18". They have some 50 cal holes in them, not mine but it works for the most part.

I am usually free in the mornings as well, which is perfect since that is when it is fantastic to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gildoom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Next time you are coming into town, shoot me a message, I can show you where I go its off of Interstate 40, have some plates up at 600 yards they are 18"x18". They have some 50 cal holes in them, not mine but it works for the most part.

I am usually free in the mornings as well, which is perfect since that is when it is fantastic to shoot. </div></div>

Will do - I'd appreciate that!

30de3yc.jpg

</div></div>
Yeah, Ok I hate you now.
smile.gif

</div></div>

This at Pawnee?

30de3yc.jpg

</div></div>

Damn. Just, damn.

Oh, and "Ain't that America."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly why I went out and found my own range (see below) not a soul for miles.

</div></div>

This at Pawnee? </div></div>

Yep.

One of the pluses of 85% of Nevada being government owned I suppose. My shooting area:

P5010114.jpg

I've never seen more than 3 people at once up there. Blissfully quiet.

On my land, I can get to 200 yards, but then I drive 35 minutes to get out to 300 (got to travel 2 hours to hit 1000). Anyways, I am very lucky that I work 7 nights a week, which means I have normal working hours free. I almost never see a soul at the range. But just in case, I bring a handgun. Someone shows up to shoot rifle, I pack up and go shoot pistol. I won't be on a range with a stranger.

You definitely need to be on your toes at the public range.

Last time I was at the local public range I was flagged by an obvious novice with a loaded shotgun after the range was called cold.

He was surprised that I was a nonplussed about the affair.

Range officer didn't see or do a thing.

Pays to have a healthy sense of paranoia.

im shooting at charles elliot (ouot by lake jackson)or power lines when i want to stretch out a little.

30de3yc.jpg

</div></div>

pics like this make me think about quitting my job and moving out west.... Did a lot of training out that way, but never got to just go pop stuff.

As an RSO I see this stuff all the time. I had a guy sweep my chest with a loaded 12 ga. He then proceeded to get pissed off when I made him aware of his error. The guy did the same thing about 30 min later to his own son. I asked him to leave and then he got a bit belligerent. Lucky for me there were two off duty staties behind him who made it clear exactly what was going to happen.

seeing these posts reminded me of something that happened a few years back.
it may sound like bullshit but i swear this is a true story.

I have a range at my house its in a valley and runs out to 200 yards. The back stop is a hill that runs up about 800 feet.(it's Montana 800 feet of elevation is still just a hill.) steel and paper stands run to the end.

well my neighbor sees it and thinks its amazing and he decides to build his own range the guy is decent enough he is a surgeon in town. so being happy that another enthusiast is interested i encourage the idea. well he sights his firing line about 5 degrees from my house. i don't know about you but i think 5 degrees is to close to being shot at for comfort. i fully let him know how his range is unacceptable and that i don't mind him shooting but seriously he is basically shooting at my front porch.

He sees my wisdom and decides to build a nice back stop. I shit you not he sets hay bales 2 deep up about 10 feet high and swears to this day that that back stop is bomb proof. No way a bullet will penetrate 3 feet of bundled hay.

so i read this clown the riot act about safety and potential damage but to no avail. he keeps it up.
after about a week my house (specifically a picture window) gets fraged with a a rouge 7.62 X 39 round.
(his pride and joy is a krebs AK.)

the cops come out and tell him they can't make him take his range down but if someone gets shot he will be charged with murder or attempted murder based on the outcome.

the best part is he says 100% serious to the cops well i figured if i shot somebody it would only be a manslaughter charge.

i have since moved and its not an issue anymore but after that indecent the stupidity i see at the range doesn't hold a candle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saint.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seeing these posts reminded me of something that happened a few years back.
it may sound like bullshit but i swear this is a true story.

I have a range at my house its in a valley and runs out to 200 yards. The back stop is a hill that runs up about 800 feet.(it's Montana 800 feet of elevation is still just a hill.) steel and paper stands run to the end.

well my neighbor sees it and thinks its amazing and he decides to build his own range the guy is decent enough he is a surgeon in town. so being happy that another enthusiast is interested i encourage the idea. well he sights his firing line about 5 degrees from my house. i don't know about you but i think 5 degrees is to close to being shot at for comfort. i fully let him know how his range is unacceptable and that i don't mind him shooting but seriously he is basically shooting at my front porch.

He sees my wisdom and decides to build a nice back stop. I shit you not he sets hay bales 2 deep up about 10 feet high and swears to this day that that back stop is bomb proof. No way a bullet will penetrate 3 feet of bundled hay.

so i read this clown the riot act about safety and potential damage but to no avail. he keeps it up.
after about a week my house (specifically a picture window) gets fraged with a a rouge 7.62 X 39 round.
(his pride and joy is a krebs AK.)

the cops come out and tell him they can't make him take his range down but if someone gets shot he will be charged with murder or attempted murder based on the outcome.

the best part is he says 100% serious to the cops well i figured if i shot somebody it would only be a manslaughter charge.

i have since moved and its not an issue anymore but after that indecent the stupidity i see at the range doesn't hold a candle. </div></div>

Readint that one made my gut churn so bad I cant even tell mine. AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^Reading that one made my gut churn so bad I cant even tell mine. AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Was out at an impromptu range its a no longer used natural gas test drill site 100 yds long 100yds wide graveled, 50 foot high berm.

Im set up shooting rifle at 100 guy and his adult daughter pull in go to the far side and set up. I suggest they may want to wait as I will be done soon. He says nah we are far enough apart go ahead and shoot past us. (Did I mention that they were shooting pistol from about 25.)
I packed up and left.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly why I went out and found my own range (see below) not a soul for miles.

</div></div>

Yep. </div></div>

This kinda looks like the missile silo sight. Its not well known, let's keep it that way...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly why I went out and found my own range (see below) not a soul for miles.

</div></div>

Yep. </div></div>

This kinda looks like the missile silo sight. Its not well known, let's keep it that way... </div></div>

There's more than just one. I think there are something like 40 in that whole area.

This isn't as funny as it's just sad.

I bought my wife two new pistols last week and we finally had time to take them out and shoot them. There is a new indoor range that just opened not too far from our house so we went there. We're in our lanes shooting away and having a generally perfect Saturday when a man and his two 13-15 yr old boys shows up. My attention was drawn to them when I saw he was carring an AR-15 and this bay only goes out to 20 yards. (yes, rifle calibers are allowed although I have no idea why) He ran the target out to the maximum 20 yards and blasted away about 15 rounds at a reasonably slow pace. When he was done he had a 18 inch "group" and turned to his boys saying, "That's how it's done!" The boys looked at our pistol targets, which both had the 10 ring punched out and looked back at dad's target. Dad looked suddenly uncomfortable so I thought I'd...well...thought I'd rub it in. I smiled, shrugged and said, "I did throw a few into the 9 ring." I couldn't help myself. :)

Well, now I am going to vent a little bit. I went to the range where I am a member. I have been a member there for the past 4 years. No problems with anyone. Up till today, everyone shows up, shoots their guns, have a little friendly talk and leave. A perfect piece of heaven. Well anyway today I went out to shoot the 100 yard 30 shot contest that they are having in the bolt gun section. I shot my first string of 5 and start messing with my gun a little. While I am messing with my zero stop on my new NF, not one, but 2 VAN loads of people pull up. There were kids, wives, boyfriends, illegal immigrants and everything else you could imagine. Now our range lets you occasionally bring 1 guest, but this guy brings the whole neighborhood. Anyway, I finished setting my zero stop and wait on them to set their targets up. I am on the end just watching the hilarity unfold. The leader of the crew was tacked up. He looked like he was getting ready to head overseas to iraq, iran or some other hostile area. The only problem was he was pushing 350 lbs. Now we have 10 benches at the 100 yard range. You guessed it, they piled in right beside me. They get their targest set up and I declare the line to be hot. They just stare blankly at me. After a min or so I yell "PUT YOUR HEARING PROTECTION ON". More blank stares. I was starting to get agitated. It was at this point that I noticed that the kids had started having a rock war with each other. Not only that, one was using my truck as cover. I blew a gasket at this point. I try to be nice, but sometimes you cant fix stupid. Anyway, I guess the guy felt bad because he made the kids sit in their van. Which is good because the didn't have any hearing protection anyway. I start shooting my second string when Jobba the Hut started setting up a spotting scope directly behind me. I feel my blood starting to boil again and I turn and ask him to please move. I think he was trying to be nice, he just said he was going to spot for me. I calmed down and said that this is a 100 yard range, my scope will dial up to 25 power, I can see my hits. He just shrugged am move one bench over. I am a little frazzled and not really concentrating on good shots. Just ready to get gone. I am about half way through with my thirty shots when HE SHOOTS MY TARGET. Not once but twice. I look over at him and he seems to be searchig his target for hits and cant find them. He starts telling the his posse that he is shooting one hole groups. I yell at him that he is an idiot, that he cant hit his own target. I am p'd now. I shoot 15 quick ones and start loading my stuff. Here is where things whent histerical. While I was waiting for the range to go cold so that I could go get my target stand put up, Joba Is giving shooting instructions to mrs. jobba. He is on the spotting scope telling her to send it. He then starts getting mad and cursing his spotting scope. I couldn't figure out why, but then he informs mrs hut that he cant see the trace. We are at 100 yards and he is looking for trace witha 20 power walmart special spotting scope. I just shook my head, yelled range is cold, carefully walked down to get my stand, and left. I am sorry this is so long, but I really needed to vent. By the way, Jobba, if your reading this, leave the neighborhood at home, and leave everyone at the range alone. Oh, you dont need to wear a chest rig to shoot your 30-06 off a bench.

I would like to add something to all of this...no i haven't read all the thread, only got through about half before i could hold my tongue no longer.

our sport has a bad name amongst many in this country because of these people that are being written about on here. Instead of just complaining about them why not teach them, granted i understand that some are just plain stupid and won't learn, but most are just ignorant and haven't been shown the proper way to be safe.
I shoot at a public range all the time, i see most of the same stupid things that every one of you do, none of us are perfect, or gods with a firearm, but most of us here know a hell of a lot more than the average joe. every time i go out to the public range near my house i see at least one person who is in need of help that if i didn't help them, i have my doubts that anybody would. several of these individuals are now my shooting partners at long distance. I have had my moments where i have jumped down people's throats for being stupid, they do after all explain the rules before every cold range and hot range command, but some people just need a little more prodding.

I guess what i am saying is we sometimes need to drop the holy than thou art routine, and just take a breath, then maybe just sit down with the new guy or whoever and explain to him in a rational manner where he was wrong.

Years ago I shot a lot of Silhouette and I went to the State Match in Texas. It was raining and the north wind was blowing hard and if I remember right I did terrible in the offhand match.
I did not do as bad as one fellow though, because he must have done awful. When the relay was over this fellow said a few bad words and turned around and threw his gun back toward his truck. The gun went about 50 feet and I don't think it was the guns fault that he shot that bad. He was from east Texas. Never saw anyone before or since throw their gun.

"I guess what i am saying is we sometimes need to drop the holy than thou art routine, and just take a breath, then maybe just sit down with the new guy or whoever and explain to him in a rational manner where he was wrong."

I'm not so sure its holier than thou. well, maybe some of it is lol. But here's the other side of that coin. I don't get paid to teach them. I'm not their friend, lover, brother or any other position to give a damn about them. Outside of them making my life unsafe, id rather not even think about them. That may be a pissy attitude to have about it, but hey, thats life. What we (mostly I) am whining about is the complete lack of safety or common sense. As far as im concerned, if someone shows themselves to be an idiot from the get go, dont waste time on them. Notice i didn't say ignorant, that can be cured...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnny Sasaki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit like this is why I want my own land out in the bum fuck of nowhere so I can shoot by myself,....and fuck everyone else unless I know you.

And people wonder why I fucking hate people. It's not just at the gun range either. </div></div>

Exactly, I did do this. Only a select few of the inner circle can actually come out and shoot with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the pluses of 85% of Nevada being government owned I suppose. My shooting area:

P5010114.jpg

I've never seen more than 3 people at once up there. Blissfully quiet.</div></div>

Thats awesome. Whats the max range on that piece of heaven?

I was at a public range one time when a guy had his girl shooting about three lanes over. I was behind the line while some friends were shooting. I hear bang and got hit in the face, under my eye, with what looks like lead. I think shr shot the steel lane barrier and I caught a very crumbled and decelerated piece of frag. Was not happy. Have not been back since.