• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Practice Session Recommendations

navajo1018

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
The UC, UT
New here, just getting into practical competition. I am wondering what some of you experienced shooters would recommend for a beginning training schedule when I go to the range. Right now I can dedicate 100 rounds twice a month and plenty of dryfire everyday. My local range has a 100 yd backer then steel out to 800 yards up the mountain. And a quality 1000 yd range is about 2.5 hours away, but I cant get there much.

I am nowhere near new to shooting just new to taking it serious and know there are some awesome guys here willing to help.

Thanks for your time.

Additional info-

I have just finished testing my equipment and coming up with a decent load. I am using a SPS Varmint with a nikon monarch UCC 3-9x40 with a weaver 20 MOA base, This set up is sub MOA capable with me shooting it at 100 yds.

I Also have wide open public land in UT and some 16" AR500 gongs.

I have purchased David Tubbs "The Rifle Shooter" should be here in a week or so.

Re: Range Practice Session Recommendations

practice getting into positions (prone, sitting, kneeling, etc) behind barricades and around obstacles, milling, getting a wind call and taking a shot

every time you do it,
-do it once in your head first and list every detail of movement and all the gear you're going to manipulate
-dry fire 3x for every live round
-call your shot for every dry fire and live round
-improve your position until you can spot your own impacts
-after you shoot, close your eyes and check your natural point of aim
-do magazine change or other otherwise practice manipulating the action every 2 or 3 shots (not every shot)
-do every shot on the clock. time yourself from start until you hit the steel
-take notes of both your call (wind and elevation) and where the impact was.

then find another obstacle/position and do it again
if you're on a square range and can't move around much, bring your own barricades or props (shooting sticks, backpacks, tripod, usually shaped boxes, etc)

then add multiple targets and reticle holds. pick two targets and time yourself hitting both from different positions.

make the first shot of each range trip prone on a 500+yrd target and don't miss. record everything you can carefully.

set goals for yourself. start with ranging and hitting a target from non-prone in 50 seconds, and try to improve it to 30 seconds over a few range sessions.

then from prone try to hit 3 targets at different known distances in 20 seconds without touching your scope, and try to get it down under 10 seconds over a few range sessions. (note this is a lot of fun and will eat through your 100 rnds of ammo really fast. don't get too carried away)

whatever you do, don't shoot any groups

taliv,
Thanks for the great info, I am sure there are many here that can benefit from your tips and drills.

I have been over zealous with shooting groups...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will post up a good routine later but for a quick tip take the next class PMG offers

just saying</div></div>

Sorry for my ignorance but I couldn't find PMG courses online, What does the acronym stand for? Why would you say you recommend them over other training groups?

PMG is Precision MultiGun LLC.

We host matches and training events. We do not have our training courses listed on our website yet, only the matches.

We primarily host the events in Tenn, but we do travel to other ranges to host matches and training.

Practice your pre and post shot routine as much as possible. Mental checklist all fundamentals. The SH dot drill is very tough. Make adjustments on you optic (box, ladder test). Make every round count.

I dont always time myself, I dont check NPOA after i shoot, i dont dry fire 3:1, i dont pick two targets and time myself between the two.

If you want to take it up several notches have a shooting buddy call out different targets at different ranges and compensate with holdover or correction. Square away your fundamentals then increase stress and difficulty.

can't say i've ever practiced doing box and ladder tests on my optic. what kinds of comps are you practicing for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taliv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can't say i've ever practiced doing box and ladder tests on my optic. what kinds of comps are you practicing for? </div></div>

Who said anything about a competition? Manipulating turrets is IMO one of the most important procedures to work through. Do you drive without shifting gears too?

first sentence of the first post.

But since you asked, actually I use the reticle to holdover and try not to turn the turrets if I don't have to. You waste a lot of time spinning knobs. My point though was that the purpose of the tests you describe is to make sure your scope was manufactured correctly. They're usually performed once, when you first open the box. I don't know anyone who does that as part of their normal marksmanship practice.

somebody ate some frownie pie.... taliv is on the money.

Where is there a 800 yard range in Utah? In SL Valley they only have out to 300.