• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

range report # 3 msg90 making progress

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
well here we go again, my msg90 is doing alright still, how ever iam still alittle frustrated, but I am slowly learning. trying to learn the lighter trigger pull get a feel for the things every one has been telling me as well as watching the snipers hide videos on youtube, that guy really has pointed out things to me that i never though about, and today out in the field i put some of his teachings to use and really noticed a diffrance. so thanks to you guys.

ok here we go 110 gr sierra hp's powder and charge are unknow.
temps 23.3 with their being some vary vary light snowing, i was laying prone.
IMG_0010-3.jpg

the next load is a first for me, 190 sierra smk's with 39.0 gr of blc2.
IMG_0011-4.jpg

the snow was comming down so hard i couldnt even see the oarnge dot on the shoot-n-c so i was just guessing the center of the target. i was pretty close in the crosshairs, but the smk's fell alot but with 39.0 gr of powder iam guesseing thats to be expected

i know eaither of these look as dead on as every one else but i have alot of things to learn about how to be a precision shooter.

i also found out that my bolt gap is to close i need diffrent locking rollers, so i am going to order them and see what diffrance this makes.

i still think the rifle is able to shoot moa, iam just learning my part, learning how to shoot prone learning how to hold the rifle and how to breath and shoot

any comments please leave them i would like to hear your feedback

Re: range repor # 3 msg90 making progress

I must have been asleep at the wheel or drunk missing your other posts on your MSG-90 clone. My MSG-90 hybrid is one of my favorite rifles...I had Ohio Ord put it together for me several years ago, although I drastically strayed from the clone and that's why I say "hybrid." Mine is built on a JLD receiver using a Douglas 1:10 twist barrel that is cut down to only 20" and threaded for flash hider/supprossor instead of the longer, 24" MSG-90 countoured barrel. I also skipped the receiver reinforcement rails on mine as there is almost no actual accuracy benefit proven by them although they do give a more rigid platform overall. On a good day, with my reloads (168gr and 175gr SMKs), mine is capable of sub-MOA accuracy.

I don't know what barrel you went with on your clone, but 110gr and 190gr reloads are certainly on the extreme ends of the spectrum in terms of bullet weights. Also, I wouldn't be shooting any reloads in a rifle that the powder charge is "unknown" as you stated. If you are proof-testing your rifle for accuracy and attempting to break in your barrel, I'd stick with a reliable factory match offering like FGMM, BH, etc. and leave load development for a little later. That at least removes several variables from the equation that can contribute to inconsistencies and inaccuracy. I am sure that your's is capable of far better than what is posted. Mine took around 150 rounds (maybe closer to 100) to settle in.

Definitely get your bolt gap squared away before you shoot too much more with yours (although it won't hurt it too much as long as your aren't shooting a lot). Acceptable bolt gap for any G3, MSG-90, PSG-1 rifle is .1mm - .5mm. If you don't have metric feeler gauges (GET SOME), you are looking at roughly .004" to .020". Check with Robert at RTG Parts for different size rollers if you need to increase your bolt gap to spec:

http://www.robertrtg.com/g3.html

Robert is a great guy...I have done business with him for years. Adam Webber at HKParts.net is also a good source:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/home.asp

Good luck with your continued efforts on your MSG-90 clone!!

Re: range repor # 3 msg90 making progress

well ord let me get you up to speed on my barrel and various things.

26" heavy psg contour or bull barrel threaded for muzzle brake
douglas with 1:10 twist

206 rounds out of the barrel as of today