• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report - Father showed me

Layton

Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Texas Coast
Thougt I would share this.

Went to the range this past weekend with my father. Took my newly acquired M1A Loaded along with a couple of other guns. After sighting in the Loaded I handed it to my father to shoot. Shooting at the 100 yd targets he put the first 1 a little low and left. Dialed in a little and hit high and center on the 2nd. 3, 4, 5 and 6 where either in the bullseye or touching it. He handed the gun back to me said "It's a shooter" and went back to shooting his 700 '06.

Not too bad for a 68 year old man open sights. So glad I payed attention when he was teaching me how to shoot so many years ago.

L

Re: Range report - Father showed me

wish someone had taught me...I'm self-learned and could probably use some good pointers!!!

Definately always a good time to shoot with your Dad. I don't get to do it much anymore as it seems I only get to see mine at Christmas or occasionally during the summer. I miss having that time together. Definately jelous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Shooting at the 100 yd targets he put the first 1 a little low and left. Dialed in a little and hit high and center on the 2nd. 3, 4, 5 and 6 where either in the bullseye or touching it.

Not too bad for a 68 year old man open sights. So glad I payed attention when he was teaching me how to shoot so many years ago.

L </div></div>

That's cool man! My granpappy used to hit squirells in the trees on the run with a .22 bolt open sights. He grew up in the woods, but man, those oldtimers can shoot!

The old timers can shoot because they learned on iron sights. People today want to start kids on optics before they've mastered the fundamentals !

Consider yourself lucky your father is still around to go shooting with.

I'd give anything to go shooting with my father again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RickH11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The old timers can shoot because they learned on iron sights. People today want to start kids on optics before they've mastered the fundamentals ! </div></div>

Good Point!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: goldeneagle76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wish someone had taught me...I'm self-learned and could probably use some good pointers!!! </div></div>

Same here, I'm not a very good shot yet. My unlce taught me how to shoot, but I quickly learned he is an idiot and talks a lot of talk. He told me I should throw my mil-dot master in the trash because it isn't calibrated to any caliber, that Mil-dots are metric, and I wish you guys could've heard how he told me to use Mil-dots to estimate range. He said .308 isn't any good past 600yrds, his FN has a 1 in 24 twist barrel...bla bla bla. Just the latest examples from the man who "taught" me how to shoot.

Be glad your father knows what he's doing and taught you. I wish my father was into shooting, and that I could've have someone to teach me from a young age.
+1 to the iron sights.

you guys wont believe this but my Grand mother thought me to shoot, ive seen her hit a quarter with a 22lr at 10 paces and drill a deer full stride on the rise over the fence. she was 53 with the quarter and 55 with the deer. she is now touching 70 and keeps a dubble barrel by the door.

she was born and raised in Presquile Mane. was the youngest of 13

My dad who never was around couldn't hit the brad side of a barn with a rifle but was Florida Highway Patrol pistol team "K" troop. but i didn't get to know him till i was 20-ish he still shoots like a blind man but ive seen him drive nails with his 6" 357 mag but he shoots a auto like a girl lol