• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report on first time out on the 600 yards ra

jlow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
Got my rifle for about a month now and finally got all the components together to test and shoot my reloads out at the 600 yards range.

The equipment in question is an 18” OBR with Harris BRM-S bipod, CTR stock with RISR and POD, Accu-Shot BT13-QK monopod, SureFire comp, LT-104 scope mount, and NF NXS 8-32x56 scope. Handloads consist of new Win brass, Remington 9 ½ primer, Varget, and 175 gr SMK seated to OAL of 2.800.

The first test consist of single rounds with eight different Varget weights – 42, 42.5, 43, 43.5, 44, 44.5, 44.75, and 45 gr. shot as a ladder at 100 yards to look for sweet spots and pressure signs. The eight shot grouped tight with a max spread of 1.5 MOA with the three closest lateral round being 43, 43.5 and 44. Slight primer flattening and cratering observed at all weights with slight extractor marks at the highest two powder weights.

The second test consist of firing two five round groups with powder weights of 43 and 43.5 gr of Varget again at 100 yards. The max grouping spread of the two groups respectively were 0.827 and 0.961 MOA. (for reference, the LaRue supplied target had max grouping spread of 0.835 MOA with five rounds of FGGM).

The third test consist of firing one 10 round group with powder weight of 43 gr of Varget at 100 yards with max grouping spread of 1.207 MOA. Mean MV captured with a chrono was 2463 ft/sec with a SD of 25.25 and SE of 7.95. Shooting conditions were as follows: Temp 61F, humidity 44%, dew point 39F, barometric pressure 30 inHg, altitude 1100 feet.

The fourth test consists of firing 18 rounds with 43 gr of Varget at the 600 yards range. Range conditions was wind 4 mph (cross), temp 79F, humidity 41%, dew point 77F, barometric pressure 30 inHg, and altitude 1100 feet. Elevation adjustment calculated with the above information and a NF Ballistic software ended up being 18.5 MOA of elevation adjustment with turned out to be accurate, hitting the 9 ring at 10 O’clock. The score tally for the 18 rounds was 174 out of 180 points with four Xs, ten 10s, four 9s, and one 8. Max grouping spread was approximate 2.7 MOA

All in all very happy with the rifle. My reloads preformed well but did have a few fliers in both the 100 yard 10 round group, and the 600 yards test so I will have to work on those.

Re: Range report on first time out on the 600 yards ra

Some of the results from the earlier load development can be seen in this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=342602

The more recent third test with 10 round group can be seen here

OBR7.jpg

The fourth test shot at the 600 yards do not have a target with holes in it since we have markers and pasters in the pits. Their role is to put a large white marker where the shots hit and past the holes afterwards. I use a video camera to record the hits to speed up the results recording and then generate this composite afterwards

OBR8.jpg

the whole point of a ladder test is to show vertical stringing at distance. At some point, usually, a series of charges will group together in a 1 to 4 inch group-vertically.

This is at 600 yards. Shooting a ladder test at 100 yards is a waste of time. A lot of things don't even show on the target at 100 yards.

Thanks for the input on the ladder test, you are of course correct in saying that 100 yards is not an optimal range to do this test – actually my understanding is 200-300 yards is optimal for ladder development. My present situation is a bit like in the movies, although not quite as funny. The unfortunate thing for me is that I only have access to either the 100 and the 600 yards range and they also happen to be in two different facilities.

The range with the 100 yards range only have that distance, and it is the one that I have membership access to, so I did most of my initial work up there. The one with the 600 yards range do have 100, 200, and 300, but presently I am only shooting as a guest and so only have limited access to the 600 yards range, working to rectify that but as you can guess membership application takes a bit of time.

So with the new gun, I don’t exactly want to zero it in and do load development work at the 600 yards range, I am sure you understand that. What I have done thus far was only to take the new gun out and figure out approximately its accuracy and of course have some fun. The real load development starts later……