• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Range Report: Springfield Armory XDS .45

fpdsniper

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
So, I took my new Springfield Armory XDS to the range today to get qualified with it. This is our standard, Illinois State Police Standardized Qualification Course, generally used for full size duty pistols like my XDM .45. I grabbed 200 rounds of our duty ammo: Winchester Ranger 230gr., along with 100 rounds of our Ultramax 230gr. RNL training ammo. This course of fire is 30 rounds conducted at 5, 7, and 15 yards and is timed. My first round through was shot shot quicker than I needed to so I could get a feel for the pistol, and see if there are any malfunctions. Scoring is very simple. Anything inside the rectangular center mass box is a hit. Anything outside is a miss. The minimum score to pass is 70%. I shot the entire course, and here was the result:

2012-06-29133615.jpg

Here is a close up. One shot away from a perfect score:

2012-06-29133623.jpg

After my first two rounds, I looked at the touching holes and smiled. Not because the pistol was shooting to point of aim, but because it occurred to me that I did not recall any recoil! Meaning, that the recoil was so insignificant, I didn't notice it. What "they" say is true. For such a powerful little pistol, the recoil is quite manageable and forgiving. As for malfunctions? Not a single one, thank you. Most officers would have been very pleased with a nearly perfect score. Not me. I decided to shoot the course again. So I grabbed 30 more rounds and loaded the 5 and 7 round mags, and shot the entire course again. Here's the result:

2012-06-29134549.jpg

Here's a close up:

2012-06-29134559.jpg

Although I "almost" put one out, it was on the line resulting in a perfect score.
laugh.gif
Again, not a single malfunction. So then I decide to load up 7 rounds, and shoot a rapid fire string of head shots only at 10 yards. Here's the result:

2012-06-29134924.jpg

I then slowed things down, and shot an 8 round string at the little bullseye target in the upper left corner:

2012-06-29135204.jpg

2012-06-29135157.jpg

Not too shabby! I finished off by firing the remainder of the ammo in rapid fire succession holding the gun at weird angles, limp wristing on purpose, and trying to make it malfunction. It refused.
cool.gif

I brought it back to my office, stripped it down and cleaned in about 5 minutes time. Super easy, like all XD's. In closing, this pistol is exactly what I had hoped for, and more. The low profile iron sights with fiber optic front, and two dot rear are excellent. It is very slim and light, making it a great everyday carry pistol. It is very accurate for such a short barreled weapon, making it a great plain clothes carry or back-up weapon for uniformed officers. It disappears using the included paddle holster, and I find myself occasionally checking to see if it's still there! I had a Ruger LCP .380 that was much more unpleasant to shoot than this pistol. My 1911 holster fit these mags perfectly, so I won't have to replace my mag/handcuff pouch. Another nice bonus. All and all this pistol has lived up to the hype from the shot show. Tiny, light, slim, powerful, easy to shoot, easy to conceal, and very well made describes this gun. If these qualities describe what you're looking for, look no further.

Donnie

Re: Range Report: Springfield Armory XDS .45

Thank you for the well written report. Springfield makes a hell of a gun, no doubt about it.

Thats some awfully fine shooting as well
wink.gif

Those XDM's sure are nice!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lionsden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the well written report. Springfield makes a hell of a gun, no doubt about it.

Thats some awfully fine shooting as well
wink.gif

Those XDM's sure are nice! </div></div>

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Do you have any trigger time with a Glock 36? Curious to hear your comparison...

G36 never took off, will be interesting to see if the XDS will. Seem very similar to me, though I haven't seen the XDS in person.

Goid job, glad you like it.

Yes, I used to own a Glock 36. I liked it, and honestly can't remember why I sold it years ago. When I had a gun shop, we sold quite a few Glocks. When Springfield started marketing the XD line, we took an XD40 and a Glock 22 out and did a side by side comparison. When the dust cleared, all 3 of us shot better with the XD than we did with the Glock. I became a big fan of XD's at that point. Not bashing Glocks by any means, I've own several. Just like the XD's better.

Now I want one. Sounds like they shoot as good as the other XDs.

Hey Donnie, not to derail the subject but, have you done any of your Illinois State Police qualifications at the Tri-County Gun Club in Polo/Hazelhurst? My uncle teaches a few classes out there and certifies a lot of Illinois State Police snipers.

I want one pretty bad but I'm not sure when the local gun store will get one in. How is the trigger on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dang472</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Donnie, not to derail the subject but, have you done any of your Illinois State Police qualifications at the Tri-County Gun Club in Polo/Hazelhurst? My uncle teaches a few classes out there and certifies a lot of Illinois State Police snipers. </div></div>

Can't say I have. I am located in the Quad Cities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bradu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want one pretty bad but I'm not sure when the local gun store will get one in. How is the trigger on it? </div></div>

Well, it's no 1911 trigger, but I like it. It was a bit gritty out of the box, but it's smoothed out pretty good after shooting a couple hundred rounds through it. Once the Springfield Custom Shop starts offering custom trigger jobs, I'll have them do mine. (It's coming, they confirmed that with me)