• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report: SW 175 FC Brass

T2CH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Va, USA
I ordered 400 rounds of Southwest 175gr FC brass. The same stuff in the last group buy Southwest offered.

Today was a great day to try it out. 80 degrees and light winds, so I snuck off this morning and got some range time in.

Keep in mind I am working on shooting prone and my form is not the best as you can see in the targets.

I bought these for a class I am attending next weekend with Vapor Trail Tactical on the reports there was not any difference in accuracy from the Southwest Match 175 (w/Winchester brass). I will be using my Gap 10 in the class. The match 175's shoot great and surpass the FGMM 175's and shoot with the 168's at 100 yds. The FGMM 168's shoot the best at 100 for me and my rifle.

Rifle: Gap 10 18" fluted barrel
Optics: S&B 4-16x42 P3
Harris Bipod
Prone on concrete
100yds
s30j9s.jpg

Middle diamond is FGMM 168 checking zero. First shots of the day.

Top Left: 3 shot group FGMM 168's. My form is lacking!

Top Right: 5 shot group with the SW 175's. Low left. I leave the scope alone. I notice 3 shots touching and 2 flyers. Might have been me.

Bottom Left: 4 shot group with SW 175's. HMMM, a little tighter group.

At this point a meet a fellow at the range that is set up with a crono (I don't have one). He lets me use it to crono the SW 175's and the FGMM 168's. The bottom right are the 5 shots through the crono. I was not trying hard to group them as I really did not want to hold him up.

Crono results. Southwest Ammo 175 SMK in FC brass.
AVG: 2570
Extreme Spread: 74 FT/S MV

The three shots in the low left diamond off the grid are the crono shots from the FGMM168's.
AVG: 2485
Extreme spread: 35 FT/S MV

I know, 3 shots with the FGMM and 5 with the SW. Like I said I was trying not to hold the man up.

This was the first target of the day. The morning temp was probably around 55-60 degrees. It was 81 when I left the range.

Second Target
2ngzype.jpg

So, my first target was less than stellar. I need to work on my form. Above is the second target of the day. I decide to get down to business. I split the target with FGMM 168's on the right and SW 175's on the left.

My first group was the low right target with 168's. Not good, I know this ammo shoots great but my form was out.

Second group was top right with 168's. I got my shit together and WOW, best group I've ever shot! 5 rounds one black dot down there.

Bottom left: SW 175's. 5 shot group off the grid. It's ok but I was expecting better from this ammo.

Top Left: That looks like shit, maybe my form again!

Middle big diamond: Lets finish off this last box and go home! That is an 8 shot group in the center. I think to my self, thats not to bad.

Low left in the diamond: I adjust the scope three clicks up and right 3 clicks. I start shooting this group. 8 rounds in the first mag and 4 in the second for a total of 12 rounds. The last four I was trying not to make the hole any bigger, I didn't.

In my opinion, the SW 175's loaded in FC brass does not shoot as well as the SW 175's loaded in Winchester brass. The Win brass loads just seem to shot well with little effort. Maybe it's me. But, if I know ammo will shoot and I have confidence in it I can usually get my form to be as good as the gear. This ammo just does not give me a lot of confidence.

What say you, was it me or do you see some variance in the ammo?

Re: GAP 10 and Southwest ammo review

I can't wait until my GAP-10 is ready. I keep expecting them to call any day now for the rest of the money and the shipping details. Hope it's as good of a shooter as yours!

I know what you mean, Fedex picked mine up today.

Box of various Copper Creek ammo came in for it today

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLharris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know what you mean, Fedex picked mine up today.

Box of various Copper Creek ammo came in for it today </div></div>

I'd like to see the range report with that ammo!

I think you did pretty well considering it is an AR platform which can be a little tricky if you don't know what it likes in trigger control and follow through. I will see you this weekend at the class and get things squared away, and get you consistent on the gun. Looking forward to it.

I will bring my OBR and we will do some comparisons, since I have been wanting to shoot the GAP. I am pretty sure that it won't dissappoint at all, they seem to know what they are doing? LOL!!

Re: Range Report: SW 175 FC Brass

Nice shooting. Whats the brass cost per k?

I have got great results from once fired military LC brass. If you sort by year its even better. I can shoot near 1/2 inch with LC OFB, cci-br, xbr and smk's.

5 shots at 100 bench lmt-mws
NF-LMT-range%20001a.jpg

This ammo was the same as the Southwest ammo in the group buy. I'm not sure what the brass cost is.
Nice shooting to you too!

Well I can say that without a doubt that the GAP10 is a shooter bro, your rifle and ammo did extremely well during the course. Although they are a little more finicky to shoot, they are just like any other rifle in that if you are consistent you will get consistent results.

Having someone like George and his crew building it also helps, gota have someone who knows what they are doing, and they have alot of experience of getting it right.

Again, great job at the course and make sure you post up some groups next time you get a chance to make it to the range. We should see some very nice groups!!

Oh you also need to post some pictures of your rifle and some of the ammo too!!