• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report!!!!

slowyellow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Just got this put together a couple of days ago and figured I'd create a range report thread for it. Russell Banks at Scout Supply Company built it. Russell did a great job and everything performed great. Keep in mind that this was just a generic load that I got from Greg Young from southern precision rifles AKA bugholes. And I seated the bullets .010 from the lands, as advised from Greg as well. Both pics are of 5 shot groups, I zero'd the calipers at .264 and measured from outside to outside. I'm happy with the results, and it should tighten up with more rounds down the tube with more round tweaking.

IMAG0100.jpg

SAM_0601.jpg

SAM_0600.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Range report!!!!

DONT CHANGE A THING ABOUT THE LOAD.Take out to the 500yd line and see what happens!Great shooting and nice group!

very nice. I'm looking forward to sending my rifle to SSC. I'm just saving up the cash and off my baby will go. this is the first accuracy results i have seen though coming out of his shop and they are outstanding. cant wait to do business with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike0341</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice. I'm looking forward to sending my rifle to SSC. I'm just saving up the cash and off my baby will go. this is the first accuracy results i have seen though coming out of his shop and they are outstanding. cant wait to do business with him. </div></div>

Deal with confidence man. Like I said, this was a generic load. So it only gets better. Very happy with the new rifle.

thanks i sure will. what was the turn around time? i most likely won't be able to get everything together until after the holidays anyway but its nice to know a rough estimate on how long ill be away from my child lol

Like others said, no need to change that up as long as you have the velocity you are looking for.

It was about a month, but me getting the brake took some time because it was on back order. Probably delayed it a week or so. And thanksgiving was in there too.

not sure if you know this or not but ill give it a shot. i saw that for $400 he will supply a barrel and put it on in conjunction with the purchase of either the stage 1 or 2 build. do you happen to know what brand barrel he uses? i saw he sells 2 types of barrels but wasn't sure if those were the ones he used (400 bucks seems too good to be true to be one of those high quality barrels lol).

I don't remember what kind of barrels he uses. I ordered one from bugholes and had it sent to him. Good luck in your build though.

I just wanted to update a couple of my posts to reflect that I got this load from Greg at SPR, aka bugholes. It was his generic 6.5 load, that he said flat out shoots in anything he puts it in, and he wasn't kidding. Great load. Still using it today. By no way did I mean to not give him credit, I didn't even realize that I didn't call him out until it was brought to my attention from a buddy of mine. I know that I said it before to Greg, but publicly, thanks man.

Great looking rig and super good groups! Just had to bring up about measuring your groups, take the jaws of the calipers out to the edge of the carbon of the holes. I shoot a 6mm and I always measure one of the holes just to see where it measures .243, it's always on the edge of the carbon. Just an FYI.

This thread makes me smile. I'm picking up the 300 WSM he's building for me on a Stiller TAC30. I ordered my own barrel b/c I wanted to get a Barlein. I think Russel likes Broughton (to answer the question posted last year at this time!) That's what was on my original invoice. Anyway, I'm supposed to do a load work-up for it at the range next to his shop. If it's anything like Slowyellow, I'll be more than happy!