• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Range report

KE5MUJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2009
New Waverly,TX
New guy here for the most part. Just got into shooting seriously for the most part. i have been shooting since i was young, mostly sighting in for hunting really. I am right handed and have known that I am really left eye dominant for some time, just have been stubborn enough to keep shooting right handed for years. I have decided today to step out of my comfort zone and try at left hand and am pleased with the results. Best I have shot in my life (dont laugh, still working at it, haha). First time I have shot at 200yds too. I did notice that for some reason my bore stayed a lot cleaner with the Varget than when I used H380. I didnt clean the bore the whole time, sent about 40 rounds down range, but these are the two loads that I shot the most that are pictured.

I plan on using the 165gr Sierra Game King HPBT after talking to Sierra on what I should use for hunting and paper punching. I did have a few AMAX left to shoot which I did group better with. Comments/help/opinions would be appreciated. Gun is whats in my signature.

100yds 168gr AMAX with 41.7gr Varget

SU1HMDAxMjAuanBn.jpg

200yds 165gr Sierra Game King HPBT 40gr. Varget (aiming center bull)
SU1HMDAxMjEuanBn.jpg

Re: Range report

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger happy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100yds 168gr AMAX with 41.7gr Varget
200yds 165gr Sierra Game King HPBT 40gr. Varget </div></div>

This has to be a low velocity loading. Try working up towards 45g Varget watching pressure signs along the way up. There should be a nice accuracy node between 44.5g and 45g.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakermeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems a little low to me. I'm loading at 44.0 gr. of varget. <span style="font-weight: bold">The A-Max bullets are awesome! </span></div></div>

Yes they are. I continue to be impressed with AMAX bullets everytime I shoot them. In fact just yesterday - our group got together and did a 1000yd desert shoot. I had just gotten in some Varget for the 1st time last week and tried a quick load development using some friends known good loads of 44.4-44.6 Varget, Lapua Brass and 175 SMKs. I also then matched the same load with 178 AMAXs but with a bit longer seating depth. They both (175 SMKs and 178 AMAXs) seemed to be fairly accurate at that 44.4 node but seemed a bit slow out of my 20" SPS-T (2540-2560 fps). Knowing I was going to be shooting at 1K in a couple of days, I wanted to try to get them a little faster - so I loaded up a batch of 45.0 Varget, with the same brass and primers with both bullets as above. I never got to shoot them across a chrono or on paper before shooting them yesterday on steel. All I can say is WOW!

We shot the 45.0 Varget loads at 1K with my friends M24 Rock Creek Barrel Rem 700 and was able to get a 2nd shot hit with both loads (good spotter calls!). They were hitting so consistantly, that we then shot at the 6" hostage taker swinger on the steel. 4 hits on that in a row at 1000yds!

So anyway, I was on my way home from the desert with some of both loads left over and I was itching to see how they would group on paper with MY rifle after seeing them shooting lights out at long range. So I detoured to my local range and shot this group with the 178 AMAXs before I ran out of light.
IMG_1141.jpg

Load data:

178 AMAX
45.0 Varget
Fed 210 primers (not match)
Lapua Brass FL sized and trimmed to 2.005
2.865 COAL
45F, 3400' MSL
20" SPS-T

Not sure the velocities since I didn't have my chrono with me yesterday, but I will chrono them the next chance I get.

Reaper,

How far off the lands are you loading those AMAX?

Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GDA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reaper,

How far off the lands are you loading those AMAX?

Gary </div></div>
I don't know, I never measured the chamber. I arrived at that by the very un-scientific method of loading the rounds to my longest possible mag length in an AI mag (about 2.875) and then chambering a loaded round to see it if contacted the lands. It didn't so, I shot the load with 2.875 and 2.865 COAL) just to see if there was a seating depth the rifle liked. I was going to continuing working shorter but when I shot the group above and it repeated, I figured I would stop there with the AMAXs at 2.865".

I did notice that the gun seems to like the 175 SMKs seated a little deeper like in the 2.820-2,815 range. I;m going to continue trying some various seating depths with the 175 SMKs to see if I can find a sweet spot.