• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Rumor: Viht powders will"tear up" barrels?

Re: Range Rumor: Viht powders will"tear up" barrels?

That is the first I've heard that. Maybe if you give it a 120% charge, but then that goes for any powder.

Heat potential for the Viht powders looks to be lower than most others, which should lead to barrels lasting a bit longer, according to:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/excel-formula-predicts-useful-barrel-life/

Viht powders have always burned very clean for me, which I've heard is due to their cotton cellulose base rather than pulp.

With all things heard at the range...
To be taken with a grain of salt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biner626</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all things heard at the range...
To be taken with a grain of salt. </div></div>

More like the Dead Sea worth of salt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any info? Feedback greatly appreciated. </div></div>

It's actually the opposite, but I can't say it's unique to them, as Hodgdon has just released 223CFE, which has an anti-copper fouling agent added.

From Vihta-Vuori's 2006 pamphlet:

"N500 Series:

Geometrically the powders in the N500 series are equal to the N100 series. Although thse new powders have a higher energy content, they do not cause greater wear to the gun. This is because the surface of the powder has been treated with an agent designed to reduce barrel wear"

Can't say for sure, but there you go, right from the horse's mouth.

Chris

I have not yet used Vihtavuori RIFLE powders, but I have used LOTS of VV PISTOL powders. My experience has been that VV makes very high quality powders, that produce accurate and consistent cartridges, and that leave very little to clean up in the firearm.

I think you were given false info by someone who "loves" their own choice of "non-Vihtavuori powders.

There a REASON that shooters will pay the stiff price premium to use VV powders. They are GOOD.

Jim G

Some random bullshit you heard from some idiot in a gunshop or at the range is my bet. Its bullshit.

I heard the .270 doesn't drop an inch out to 500 yards. Same guy?

Been reloading with primarily VV powders for over twelve years. It took 2.5k rounds to wear out my .243 running loads at 3k plus in 8 years. I still haven't worn out any other barrels.

HTH,
DocB

I shoot VV exclusively (140 and 540 the latter in borderline hot lockbase and 155 scenar loads and with rather fast firing - melted a bit of stock last summer due to barrel heat) in my Tikka .308. It has now approx 2k rounds down the pipe and i've borescoped it recently. There are MINOR signs of "desert" being formed in throat area however by my opinion (judging by pictures of heavily used barrels) its good for at least twice that much (if wear is linear) of the same regime.

So basically all this bullcrap about ruining barrels is just that i.e. every round ruins barrel and as far as i see it barrels are to be ruined (sooner the better as it means you've had some serious fun...) and replaced as needed. Unless seriously on the budget i find it ludicrous to be anal about barrel wear as the amount of $ thrown into trinkets and gadgets and reloading components dwarfs costs of a new barrel and fitting.

VV has about the same burn temp as Varget. This premise of VV burning up barrels is BS. Faster velocities create more heat which burn barrels.

Great feed back! That's why I'm gettin all "warm and fuzzy" about this site.People, that have experience, respond. Thanks for the input! I'm a new guy, to this "precision long range rifle" stuff. When I talk to a guy at the range, who has three Custom rifles on the bench, I'm all ears. I also do "research". I'm getting some GREAT groups out of Viht, and I'd hate to give it up. Although, thanks to guy's on this site, I tried Varget. I'm starting to get some great groups, with it, also. One guy mentioned 4064. I haven't used that powder in years. Just finished some test loads with it. When I retired, it was either this, or Golf. I stink at golf, but I'm still looking for that hole in one. At "range", this time. Thanks again.