• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range time with the M40 clone and an old friend.........................

Pvt. Joker

Rifleman
Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
North Central Florida
I went to the club range yesterday to get the Redfield 3x9 Accu Trac scope dialed in that I had a problem with (my error) and check out load component variation.

I was using my Remington 700 M40 clone with a 5R .308 1:11.25 twist barrel I had just put back together.

It was about 85 with a slight crosswind and relatively lower humidity than previous days.

It was a great day to be out there with an old friend I hadn't seen in over a year. We grew up together racing motocross, hunting and target shooting.

Any ways the first shot at the man silhouette target I was on paper (I bore sighted it in at my home) and started to fire a few rounds.
I ended up over compensating on both scope adjustments until I was grouping mostly in the right bottom corner of the center.

That load was the following:
168 gr. HPBT Hornady match
41.5 grs. IMR 4895
CCI primer
LC 05’ once fired brass full length sized, annealed, trimmed and prepped
OAL- 2.820

I ran out of that ammo and then tried the exact same load with a different primer.

The next four rounds were primed with Federal Match primers.

The bullseye Dirty Bird Target are those four shots. I need to go right one click.

All shooting was done at 100 yards off of my buttpack at a bench.

I think I’m going to use the Federals for while as she gets broken in and see if I can close it up a bit more.
My hands shake a bit now and then as I’ve gotten older but I know I can do better.

I said to my buddy "I'm done, no use wasting ammo now, I know she's in the ballpark".

I asked if he was up for our usual cigar and some good bourbon at the house like we have always done together after most outings for years.

A good time was had by all.
biggrin.png

1.jpg
0617201701z.jpg

Spent the day at the range with this old girl today. The target shown is up on the 400y berm. This was the last four reloads that I had with me. The target is an AR 500 swinger that I made years ago.

Kind Regards,

- Jon

D1644F29-A9D5-4F7C-8984-2CF66C83E261.jpeg

Reactions: bildoe308