• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes range vs. magnification

223man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Marysville WA
I have seen lots of posts talking about "What magnification do I need for 1000 yrds" and so on. So I had a few thoughts.
Is there a rule of thumb that dictates how much magnification to use at a certain range? Or is there such a thing as to much magnification at certain ranges? Also what got me thinking about it is that a buddy of mine and I went shooting(at 100 yrds) doing some load development and random target shooting. We shot with our scopes at max power (scopes are center point 4-16x40)and then at minimum power. It seamed like at max our groups went to crap and min they were really good. Thanks for any input.

John

Re: range vs. magnification

I have run into the same thing shooting on max power vs mid or low power at shorter ranges like 100yards. My personal thoughts are that I'm over thinking it when I am so zoomed in. trying to hit the x when at max power usually makes me flinch or other form screw ups. mid power is easier for me.

223man,

If you get a chance try the same thing with a different brand of scope. If I'm using a 12-42X Nightforce at 300 yards it is on 42X If I'm using a 5-25X Swarovski at 100 yards it on 25X. Never noticed larger groups on higher power.

The general rule of thumb for minimum magnification is 1x per 100yds. That will put a shooter needing 10x for 1000yds.

I was always taught that the human eye under normal, well performing conditions, can see 1" of detail at 100yds. Under 10x in normal conditions you should be able to see 1" of detail, provided of course your optical quality is up to that performance, and you're not affected by mirage, haze, or other impediments.

As to why you're groups are opening up on higher magnification vs. lower, it's probably because you're concentrating more on the shots with lower magnification than the higher and making better shots. That's a marksmanship issue, not a optical one. I've seen it quite a bit in the past as shooters think the higher magnification is doing more work for them when it isn't, and they get sloppy.

LoneWolfUSMC wrote a pretty good article on the subject too:
http://www.8541tactical.com/magnification.php

It depends on what you're trying to do. I'd have a pretty hard time trying to hit paintballs at 100 yards with a 10X scope. Well, I'd really have to take my time, anyway. If you're shooting at man sized targets, then 1X for every 100 will likely do it for you. If you're shooting at MOA targets, magnification can be your friend.

My hunting and casual shooting rifles have 10Xs. Target rifles have 22Xs. My 50 yard .22 match rifle has a 24X on it. Well, I just put that on there, since my 20X bit the dust a few weeks ago.

scopes don't just magnify what you're looking at; they also magnify anything that's going on the other end of the scope too.

your heartbeat and breathing become much more noticeable.

slothlacrosse,

Boy did I discover the heart beat once I got up to 12X. For years I worked at shooting between beats because I had to hold the rifle tight or get hammered. Then I discovered muzzle brakes. Now I hold everything like I would a BB gun; just enough to see through the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old man now</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223man,

If you get a chance try the same thing with a different brand of scope. If I'm using a 12-42X Nightforce at 300 yards it is on 42X If I'm using a 5-25X Swarovski at 100 yards it on 25X. Never noticed larger groups on higher power. </div></div>
I must agree, as always it depends on the type of shooting, but with that said, look at the bench rest crowd. BR shooters are using 45x and above-all the time, and they print very small groups. "223man" is dead on regarding trying different brands, some just work better than others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Old man now</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223man,

If you get a chance try the same thing with a different brand of scope. If I'm using a 12-42X Nightforce at 300 yards it is on 42X If I'm using a 5-25X Swarovski at 100 yards it on 25X. Never noticed larger groups on higher power. </div></div>
I must agree, as always it depends on the type of shooting, but with that said, look at the bench rest crowd. BR shooters are using 45x and above-all the time, and they print very small groups. "223man" is dead on regarding trying different brands, some just work better than others. </div></div>

You mean "Old man now" is dead on regarding trying different brands, some just work better than others. As I am not the one who said it. lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paw print</div><div class="ubbcode-body">223 MAN, you are right, sorry for the miss quote! </div></div>

Lol, it's cool. Just making sure I'm not taking someone else's credit.