• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rangefinder 1000 yard 20" targets

sniperaviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Colorado
I have a Nikon 1200 and yes it can range 1200 yards. On targets the size of a car or a house or the side of a trailer. It can't range 20" white target much past 600 or 700 yards. I see Swarovski at $999. But will it actually range a 20" target at 1000 yards? Any others candidates? Actual experience please, I am tired of reading "this so and so will range 1200 yards?" 1200 yards but how big a target? Shooting targets are small. Can any of them do it or is this one of snipers dirty little secrets? If so do you need a tripod?

Re: Rangefinder 1000 yard 20" targets

I think the Swarovski is the best thing going for under $1K. At least I have tried the Nikon, the Leicas, and haven't had good luck on non-reflective past 700-800 yards. I think you have to spend considerable more money to beat the swaro laser guide. The new bushnell is supposed to be good too, but I have not tried one... go Swaro and don't look back.

DD

All those listed above will not be able to do a 20 inch non reflective target. The best thing to do is range it through scope or use your laser on something close to the target. I am not a fan of the civilian laser range finders I prefer the old map and TRP note method. It is to easy to range with mildots and accuracy will be just as good if not better and it is one less thing you have to carry around and get batteries for.

If you have to lug something around that can range targets get something milspec like the Newcon 20000M Newcon2000m

Reactions: addertooth

So how far out WILL a Swarovski range a white 20" target? It seems you would need a tripod or some sort of rest.

Yes, range with reticle. But. At 1000 yards a bullet is dropping almost 1" per yard. If you are 10 yards off, that is 10" high or low. Pow, you have missed your 20" target. You NEED accurate ranging at long distances so you can compensate for the drop.

The Swaros have a bigger reticle. It would be hard to get a reading from the range finder. Been there done that. Went with the Lecias 1600 smaller reticle. Still would be hard to range a 20" target. I would think the Lecia would have a better chance.

having a steady position will usually help get you a better reading and more accurate too...i haven't played with any rangefinder on the civilian market that you can range out to a K with. wish I could get my hands on some of those Vector 21s from the military..they'll range as far as your eyes can see and then some

Yes, they will range further targets, but what size?

I got to try out a Swarovski. It will range the 20" plates out to 750 or so yards. Beats the Nikon by 150 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, they will range further targets, but what size?

I got to try out a Swarovski. It will range the 20" plates out to 750 or so yards. Beats the Nikon by 150 yards. </div></div>

I have ranged the standard IPSC target at 1550 yards with my Swaro repeatedly. It's a little bit bigger than your 20" target. If you read the manual for the Swaro, they show you how to range small objects at longer range. Unless you go with something like Vector, of Newcon, I think the Swaro is the best LRF for 1500 yards or under for the price. JMHO.

My gong is a 24" square AR500 plate which is painted white. My Leica CRF1200 will range it at 1K the majority of the time if held steady. Have never not been able to get a good, quick, repeatable reading from 800yds or closer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The best thing to do is range it through scope or use your laser on something close to the target. I am not a fan of the civilian laser range finders I prefer the old map and TRP note method. It is to easy to range with mildots and accuracy will be just as good if not better and it is one less thing you have to carry around and get batteries for.
</div></div>

Seriously? You think you can range as accurately as my Swaro? No, wait, you said <span style="text-decoration: underline">more</span> accurately. I'd be willing to bet any amount of money you'd care to wager that a LRF will be more accurate that you using the scope 10 out of 10 tries. Your statement about ranging something larger that is near the target is right on.

To the original question, I don't think the Swarovski or any comparable LRF can do what you're asking. When we're setting steel, we just range from the target back to the shooting position where a truck is parked. Or we use the above mentioned strategy.

On a side note, I ranged a pine tree at 1947 yards two days ago in bright sunlight. The Swarovski is amazing for an $850 unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What size are IPSC targets? </div></div>

Standard IPSC size. (30x19?)

The main reason any Bushnell range finder will range as far as a Swaro or anything else for that matter is the beam divergence is the largest I have been able to find, try 4 mrad by 2 milad which means you can bounce the beam of just about anything but you have no idea what that is. Swaro also has a 2 mrad round beam which is also easy to bounce of a unwanted targets the Leica is a little better sometimes with a .5 mrad by 2.5 beam, you may range of the side but not as far over or under so the range will be closer to your intended target.
IMO, accuracy goes to the Leica but you also don't get the range of the Swaro though I've heard the Leica 1600 is doing well but we'll see when they get more units out.

The Zeiss rangefinding binoculars will do 1700 yards on deer sized game in decent conditions hand held. They are the best rangefinder I have used and I have used the Swaros, the Geovids, and Bushnell. They are expensive, but glass is superb and very bright. I upgraded from the Geovids to the Zeiss and the Zeiss are superior in every way.

this 1989 yd. was ranged on a tripod with my swaro, next time I go shoot steel I will try at 1450 yds on a 12" plate
swaro.jpg

If you can post up what models you are using, the zeiss come in several bino models.

Sniperavaitor,

Are you still trying to find an answer to this? If so, would you consider trying to range a 2" target at 100 yards a reasonable substitute for 20" at 1,000 yards. If so, I'll test it for you in my yard.

Just throwing my $.02 in...I have been able to accurately range out to 1400 yards on a steel door @7'x3.5' that we got off of an old restaurant...I have been able to repeatedly range out to 800 on 3' x 3' steel plate. These were taken in all different kinds of weather, but were always off of a Zeiss tripod.

I have also been able to range cattle out to 550-600 yards off hand with it. When I first bought the thing I was expecting to range out to 1500-2000 yards just holding it in my hand. It didn't take long to figure out that I was dreaming.

You will be hard pressed to accurately range a 20" target at 1000 yds, especially with the low magnification found in range finders. You would definitely have better luck with a pair of say Leica or Zeiss RF binos, but you would have to be on a tripod.

Good luck
wink.gif

I took everyone's advice and bought a Swarovski rangefinder and am amazed. I ranged a 20"x20" target at 1000 yards! Trees to 1500 yards. I ranged a 3' high 6" diameter FENCEPOST at 970 yards! Amazing!! Monocular 8x30 is not a bad substitute for binoculars. I am hooked!

Now, let's just put the remote target localization solution (map it) in the rangefinder/smartphone and go to Alaska for some long range stalking.

I have had my Sig KILO 2000 out to 1065 on a 24x24 white ar500 plate. I have seen 1500 plus on some big stuff like grain bins.

Has anyone noticed that nearly every ten year old necro thread resurrection is done by someone with less than 5 posts?