• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rangefinding Binos help

mwinter501

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2013
Greetings all,

I'm in the market for both nice binoculars and a laser range finder, so I figured I'd consolidate and get one of the nicer offerings that has both in one package. My needs are probably different than most in that I will primarily be using them in night and lowlight environments, but don't need or want a lot of magnification because I want to keep FOV maximized (I'll be needing to identify things relatively close but in very low light). I figure that means an 8x set of binos with the largest objective as possible (weight isn't really a factor). I see a few options out there, including a used set of Leica Geovid 8x56 HD Meters on Eurooptic, but I hear nothing but great things about Swarovski binos. I have high end rifle scopes but haven't been able to handle high end binos before.

Will I be better suited to get a set with better glass and smaller objective (i.e. Swarovski)? Price isn't really much of a factor, but I don't really want to go much over $3k if possible. Ballistic software would be nice, but I don't see myself using it terribly often so it isn't much of a determining factor.

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to learning from y'all.

**Edit: I don't see my range finding needs extending out much past 1k yards. If that changes, I'll prolly end up getting a dedicated LRF

Last edited:
I'm looking at the new Leica Geovid HD Edition 2200. They come in either 8x or 10x versions. They make 2 models.

The HD-B with ballistics SW or the HD-R which is just the LRF. I already have a Kestrel Elite so I am looking at the HD-R but I may just go all the way with the HD-B. Price is $2,995 for the HD-B and $2,595 for the HD-R. The laser system is new and supposedly ranges to 2,000 yards but I can't vouch for that.

If you think the Swarovski binos are good, then you should look through the Leica. My buddy has a top end pair of Swarovski but they are not in the same class. I got to compare them side by side at B&H in NYC. They came outside with me so I could check them out. No comparison IMHO. The HD lenses had phenomenal color balance and contrast.

I have a pair of Zeiss that I bought from the Eurooptic Demo section a few years ago and they have been great for low light and daytime use. There was a considerable discount getting a demo pair.

I I looked through a new pair of Leicas the other day and don't think you could go wrong with them either. I went with Zeiss originally because of concerns with Leicas warranty/customer service.

The new 2200 Leicas are stunning and give up nothing to my Terrapin. I know the Leica's are expensive, but it's far more pleasant to use them than the Terrapin. The glass is amazing, and binocular 10X vision is way better than the limited view in the Vectronix.

How old were the top end version of the swaros you tried? I just have to ask because the Swarorvski EL Ranges are fantastic in picture and ranging. I've been very happy with mine, but I'm sure if the Leica's are latest and greatest they can edge them out with a little better technology, I'd be hard pressed to believe they are in another league though.

The one brief chance I had to look through the Leica and Swaro rangefinding 10x42's side by side, I preferred the Leica over the Swaro. Both were excellent.

Get the new Leicas, get the HDR, their ballistics stuff has yet to be worth the extra hundreds of dollars

Seems like the new Leicas are preferred. Las question. I'm stuck between the leicas in an 8x42 or a zeiss in a 8x56. Would the better glass in the Leica give me more than the larger objective in the Zeiss?

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

I have the Bushnell 12x50 Fusion, probably not as clear as the Leica's and others but work great for me.

I have a pair of the Zeiss Victory LRF's and use them for hunting and general observation with no complaints. They do also have a ballistics solver built in that you can calibrate with their software that works pretty well and will provide drop adjustments. Of course, the projectile data base is not all inclusive so you have to match a "close" trajectory but all and all works for hunting distances.

Last edited:
The Zeiss Victory RF binos are very good.
The glass is superb and the laser reads out to 12-1400 in most conditions.
I've had returns at 1 mile in ideal conditions off of animals.
Some of the newer options may have a better laser.
I haven't found any that were better glass.

R

I am late to this party but I bought a pair of Leica HD-R 2200 binos about a month ago. I have not have a chance to use them a lot but they have been nothing but great at several of the matches I have been able to use them. I also had a chance to get some open area to range some cows at distance. I was able to range a cow broadside at 2400+ with them and I was able to do it several times. Conditions were probably ideal for it but I was still blown away at the range of them. It is also so nice to be able to have great clarity with the function of the binos but the ability to instantly range rather than grab another device to do that. The binos come with a nice harness rather than a generic neck strap but I am going to get a bino harness that fully protects them when not in use. The other thing I like about the Leica over the Swaro is that for archery hunting the Leica will range down to 20 yards or so, the Swaros have a higher starting range distance, essentially past the target area of any archery hunting.

good points. I'm fairly certain that's what I'll end up getting as soon as I can sell my scope.

The Zeiss Victory Bino or Mono's do not have any Angle compensation and only have 6 basic pre sets, and only range out to 1300 yards, Other Zeiss models might be better but the Leica Geo's would be the better choice or the Swaro's.

Be careful to sort out the hyperbole here, OP. Anyone who says that the Swarovski EL binos are "not in the same class" as the Leica is talking out of their ass. I own high end glass from both companies. Both are outstanding. Both are in the tippy top class by any objective measure.

Be careful to sort out the hyperbole here, OP. Anyone who says that the Swarovski EL binos are "not in the same class" as the Leica is talking out of their ass. I own high end glass from both companies. Both are outstanding. Both are in the tippy top class by any objective measure.

I understand it's close to splitting hairs at this level. I lean toward the Leicas mainly due to the closer ranging and I can find them at a slightly lower price point.

How are you guys with geovids mounting them to tripods? I just ordered the HD-B 2000s on sale from cabelas.

The Leica and Swarovski are both great rangefinding binoculars. I have to say I have never had any issues with the Swarovski but the rangefinder is much better on the Leica. The rangefinder on the Swarovski starts at 100 ft. and goes to 1500 yds. The Leica starts at 10 yds and goes to 2200. The new HD-B's now also give ballistic information to .1 MOA or Mil. They are both very comfortable and are great performers. The Swarovski does have the field flattening technology if you prefer that view. Unfortunately the 8x56 Geovids are not available in the US due to an import issue. (They would be so great though!) Hope this helps.

For mounting on Tripods Leica makes their Stabilite tripod adapter. It is universal adapter that you can use for most binoculars.

I have the Bushnell 12x50 Fusion, probably not as clear as the Leica's and others but work great for me.

Looking at ordering a of these. I hunt and shoot prs. Have you used yours for ranging small targetd at distance? Do they seem to give consistant measurements?

These are 2000€ here and they are one of the best binos out there on par with Zeiss or Leica. I was able to test them at competition on various (gongs, plates, torsos) targets up to 800m and they work flawlessy and fast (plus binos are great with superb picture quality) and they appear to have nice narrow beam so they won't pickup background instead of gongs/targets.

I just picked up a set of the bushnell fusion 1 mile 10x42. Took them out and ranged 1 to 2 moa targets out to 1050. Pretty clear for the money in my opinion. Never had a chance to look through any others so I cant say how clear they are compared to the more expensive ones

I just picked up a set of the bushnell fusion 1 mile 10x42. Took them out and ranged 1 to 2 moa targets out to 1050. Pretty clear for the money in my opinion. Never had a chance to look through any others so I cant say how clear they are compared to the more expensive ones

I am really enjoying my Bushnell Conx Bushnell bought us the first LRF's and have always tried to improve their products ever since, I have been thinking about adding a pair of the fusions to my kit as well,

My Conx zaps things a lot further than Bushnell claim, Although it does not go as far as a Terrapin it makes up for in features and it will give me reading for as far as it can lock on to Targets So it is not Limited to 1000 or 1400 yards etc, there are a couple of settings that it has so it can give you formulas at full range which is cool,

Congrats on your 10x42s.

John.

I would definitely recommend them, cant wait to go hunting with them. No more carrying around a range finder and binos.

Well a lot of folks have bought them and been pleased with them and I think you will find that they Range really well, I checked out the Videos on YT and they are impressive.

THe leicas are amazing - heavy - but image quality is amazing ... ranging is nice.

Looked through a set of leicas at cabelas but hard to tell quality in a store with florescent lights. Everything looks good. Hooefully i find someone with a pair at a match so that i can compare mine and theirs.

I own the Leica RFB HDBs...and my BIL owns the ELs.....i am very pissed with my Leicas. A) the tripod adaptor option is JUNK.....the lack of threaded hole and thus the need to set them on a plastic table top tripod adaptor is juvenile. But, more importantly, and i cannot get Leica to respond, these binoculars will NOT simply offer an angle corrected range reading. The reading that it spits out is some sort of balistically compensated / angle compensated range, and makes zero sense. Inputting different ballistic performance curves CHANGES the angle compensated range! Comparing the ELs to mine on an Elk hunt in CO last week, my BILs ELs vs my Leicas gave VASTLY different angle compensated distance read outs, and i could make mine vary based on what preset ballistic curve I chose. Which makes zero sense, angle corrected range has nothing to do with a rifles ballistic performance, it is a very simple trigonometry formula! Unless they prove me wrong, and I hope they do but are so far very silent on my requests for help, then I will be tossing mine in the trash and buying ELs!

I run the new 10x42 EL Range. Great glass, ranges well, reasonable size and weight and I had Outdoorsmans install their stud. It is the in my opinion the very best way to utilize the binocular on a tripod. https://outdoorsmans.com/products/ou...l-stud-install

I find game that I would otherwise not see using my glass on a tripod. Found a herd of Elk (cow season here) because my binocular was totally stable and saw the movement 3 miles out, therefore butchering again tonight.

if trophy hunting I can swap out quickly to my Swaro BTX 85 to get a better look.

I owned have owned a couple of Leica HDB’s with mixed ranging results (fine glass - but wouldn’t say better than my Swaro) but not being able to mount them using the outdoorsmans adapter https://outdoorsmans.com/collections...ocular-adapter is absolutely a deal breaker for me. With their stud/adapter system you gain full use of your bino adjustment as opposed to being strapped to a plastic plate.

The ability to sit behind glass without any tremor whatsoever is a huge benefit, you see the slightest movements - ear flicker, horn turning or shapes that you are trying to find (like a sentinel cow’s head or legs in timber)

Attachments

• photo79362.jpg
    photo79362.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 19
  • photo79363.jpg
    photo79363.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: