• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ranger Finders Past 1000?

You have to wonder why no one had made a remote tape switch so that you can fire the laser off a tripod without having to push a button on the unit and disturb the lay of the instrument.

I always thought a remote switch that had , say a 6" -12" cord that plugged into the LRF with a 3.5mm jack would be useful.

Maybe it's just me...:p

I got a good deal on the Bushnell .Mil contract units and for my needs, it seems to work just great...

If people are struggling to hold the ConX still ranging targets then that says more about how they shake and need to control their breathing like you do when you are firing your rifle, You should not use an LRF like you do binos, Because with binos you are browsing with an LRF you are Aiming, If people learn to point/Aim their LRF's like they do their rifles they will get much better results.

When I first got mine it was fine at out to 800 yards but the main issue was "Me" because I was using it like I did my old LRF and Once I worked that out I was ranging stuff out to a mile, The ConX has a much smaller bean than older models which was another thing I did not know and had to account for, So far I have never used mine off a tripod, It's not that mine is better it is because I re-educated my self on what I was doing wrong, It would be easy to blame the ConX learning better ranging habits will get better results, It is not like a Camera either where you point and shoot, Some folks say that it only works if they use a tripod well that says more about them than it does the ConX, If it works off a Tripod then it will work Off Hand.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Stpilot12
That is sort of my point....a remote switch would make it easier to be accurate at longer ranges...Don't we all invest in gear to make things simpler and easier??

At least, that's my approach to stuff I buy.

FWIW I have a Leica 1600 that has yet to fail me. Very accurate on deer sized objects out to 1400...larger objects out to 1720 that I have been able to range. Being steady and the lighting has a lot to do with a LRF being worthy from my experiences.

I have the 2000-B and love me some Leica!? fast and accurate.

Reactions: magnumruger
Lets not get to far with bulshit . Conx and Arc and whatever other low power LRF measuring wonders

We have tested bunch of LRFs and simply can't buy fairytales of nominaly mile or under LRFs making any useful reads past 1000y on useful size targets not houses ,barns or skyscrapers, we tested bunch on top of tripods so no shake in measurement .
Also tested each an every one to find where beam is hitting in the reticle so to have best chance of making a read and all strugled past 1000m on white very reflective metal target 3x3+feet in size ,
we had bunch of metal targets from 700-1050m an overcast so not sunny should be favorable condition for laser return, Kilo 2200 couldnt make it past 850m .second Kilo2200 couldnt range the 1050m reflective target but pinged of a 1000m tree in front of the target , Leica 2700 got a 1050m relfective target every time and was considerably faster than any other LRF but couldnt get a read on a 5x5 metal target that was painted black with red stripes (paint not reflective enough) at 850m , one of the Kilo 2200 could also ping that one every time , Leica Geovid previous model couldnt make it past 900m , noname chicom bino LRF sold in US under Rudolph and Snypex brands pinged all including 1050m even from the hand. Kilo 2400 also pinged all. Leica 1600 maxed out at around 900m. All the tests so far show that ranging capability varies considerably from one unit to another also from battery state ,Sig Sauer being probably most hit and mis affair of all tested so far.(you can get a kinda good working unit or a lemon )
But rule of the thumb seems to be 1/3.-1/2(best case scenario) of nominal range against very reflective practical targets is about as good as you can expect from a good unit.

Waiting for a new Terrapin and keeping fingers crossed its real deal ,bought 4 LRF in last 2 years and want ot move up and leave a these branded chicom hit and miss LRFs behind. I hope manufacturers stop fucking around with building all sorts of balistic stuff into the LRFs , make LRFs actualy range reliably first.

Reactions: fragmatic
Yes, a tape switch would be the tits and it'd be so easy to install one. New ones should come with 'em. Bet they never thought of it, I never did.

If it gets to be too much of a bitch I may take it apart and install one. We'll see. I still need a tripod and spotting scope and Kestrel before I have the complete setup.

The other problem is that with the military ones you have a power button in addition to the fire button and both of those have to be held down, so in my case I'd need a flip and pressure switch, ideally. They're meant to be held and operated like binos, tripod or not. These military ones should be very easy to mod if one were so inclined though. It's not hard. Just wire the switches in and drill a hole in the case and install the parts. A LEMO switch would be ideal but expensive.

And I agree 100% with getting one that's rated farther than you need --it's why I wanted one that was rated for at least 4km, why I was holding out for a Vectronix or drooling over German's setup. Well, mine will do 10km and is supposed to be +/- 10m at 5.8miles and at 1km I'm just nailing the piss out of street signs, mail boxes and telephone poles. Even works in direct sunlight. So I'm happy and when I get the spotter and the other shit I'll be set.

If people are struggling to hold the ConX still ranging targets then that says more about how they shake and need to control their breathing like you do when you are firing your rifle, You should not use an LRF like you do binos, Because with binos you are browsing with an LRF you are Aiming, If people learn to point/Aim their LRF's like they do their rifles they will get much better results.

When I first got mine it was fine at out to 800 yards but the main issue was "Me" because I was using it like I did my old LRF and Once I worked that out I was ranging stuff out to a mile, The ConX has a much smaller bean than older models which was another thing I did not know and had to account for, So far I have never used mine off a tripod, It's not that mine is better it is because I re-educated my self on what I was doing wrong, It would be easy to blame the ConX learning better ranging habits will get better results, It is not like a Camera either where you point and shoot, Some folks say that it only works if they use a tripod well that says more about them than it does the ConX, If it works off a Tripod then it will work Off Hand.

Hope that helps.

Mine have a stiff fire and power button and you have to hold them like binos. The "military hold" works best (thumbs up instead of around the unit). Even if it's on a tripod, still has to be fired this way. Given how far they work, it's really the only drawback so far. Can't hold 'em stable enough to hit a target miles away with 7x mag and unsupported. Why that tape switch is such a fantastic idea.

So I rest my elbows on my chest and lean back and get as stable as I can but it's not like shooting a rifle at all, there's a lot less support and no sling or stock to help out.

Reactions: MilDot1960
My PLRF05 laughs at 1000Y, it's some of the best money I've spent for long range shooting! The bad, I'm screwed if it breaks, life is funny that way/not, always something stupid to mess with us.

Don't any of you guys rest your RF's off the side of the rifle when laying down prone to steady it up when ranging? It's my go-to way, I rarely use the tripod anymore. I hate having to carry all kinds of stuff around with me, it can get ridiculous.

Forget the sig2000 it has had too many issues, The sig 2200 would be better or the Bushnell ConX if you want to be able to Bluetooth it to Apps and it is a highly fool proof system and then there is quite a jump in price to the sig2400 which, not too sure about the new Nikon yes it has the range but as of yet it is unproven. If money was not a problem then I would be looking at the new BR2500 and then the TerrapinX.

John.

My ConX Elite 1 Mile is reliable out to 1000 on steel, which is consistent with/slightly better than the 1/2 distance rule of thumb. Since I’m planning on going out further, I’ve ordered the Nikon 4K.

8<
Don't any of you guys rest your RF's off the side of the rifle when laying down prone to steady it up when ranging? It's my go-to way, I rarely use the tripod anymore. I hate having to carry all kinds of stuff around with me, it can get ridiculous.

My spotting scope is in a KDG Optics Hub (https://kineticdg.com/product/the-optics-hub). I attached a Wiebad bag to the hub and rest the ConX on that. Works great. The Nikon mounts vertically, so I’ll probably put it on a pic rail mounted on the side of the Optics hub when it arrives.

My ConX Elite 1 Mile is reliable out to 1000 on steel, which is consistent with/slightly better than the 1/2 distance rule of thumb. Since I’m planning on going out further, I’ve ordered the Nikon 4K.
Yep they are good on steel, I use mine for ranging buildings and such when drawing maps etc and I have ranged animals more than double than Bushnell claim, I guess some folks just don't Gel with how it works and those that do are rewarded.

TerrapinX looks like another good one, good to 1.86 miles for $1800 and accurate to 5m at 2000m, has a Class 1 "eyesafe" 905nm laser, so visible with NODs. It's actually not a true Vectronix, it's a collaboration with Leica and uses their facilities and some of their off the shelf parts even. The price makes more sense when you know that.

My advice for long range LRF's is to keep an eye out and be patient. Haggle on Ebay if one shows up. If you don't have a lot to spend on one but can't settle for anything less, you're gonna have to really look around and be patient, they show up and they're worth it. From Mk5's to PLRF's to Vectronix 21's you name it. Maybe even a Mk7 MELIOS PVS6 someone has who doesn't know what they have and are selling if really lucky (that'd be the kitty's titties!). But it takes time.

If it's military gear, it's nice to know it's not stolen and do the homework, particularly if it's a unit still in service.

Lets not get to far with bulshit . Conx and Arc and whatever other low power LRF measuring wonders

We have tested bunch of LRFs and simply can't buy fairytales of nominaly mile or under LRFs making any useful reads past 1000y on useful size targets not houses ,barns or skyscrapers, we tested bunch on top of tripods so no shake in measurement .
Also tested each an every one to find where beam is hitting in the reticle so to have best chance of making a read and all strugled past 1000m on white very reflective metal target 3x3+feet in size ,
we had bunch of metal targets from 700-1050m an overcast so not sunny should be favorable condition for laser return, Kilo 2200 couldnt make it past 850m .second Kilo2200 couldnt range the 1050m reflective target but pinged of a 1000m tree in front of the target , Leica 2700 got a 1050m relfective target every time and was considerably faster than any other LRF but couldnt get a read on a 5x5 metal target that was painted black with red stripes (paint not reflective enough) at 850m , one of the Kilo 2200 could also ping that one every time , Leica Geovid previous model couldnt make it past 900m , noname chicom bino LRF sold in US under Rudolph and Snypex brands pinged all including 1050m even from the hand. Kilo 2400 also pinged all. Leica 1600 maxed out at around 900m. All the tests so far show that ranging capability varies considerably from one unit to another also from battery state ,Sig Sauer being probably most hit and mis affair of all tested so far.(you can get a kinda good working unit or a lemon )
But rule of the thumb seems to be 1/3.-1/2(best case scenario) of nominal range against very reflective practical targets is about as good as you can expect from a good unit.

Waiting for a new Terrapin and keeping fingers crossed its real deal ,bought 4 LRF in last 2 years and want ot move up and leave a these branded chicom hit and miss LRFs behind. I hope manufacturers stop fucking around with building all sorts of balistic stuff into the LRFs , make LRFs actualy range reliably first.
Well it's funny how you can't get the Sigs or the ConX to Range out past 850m/929.5yds yet all their owners can, I have ranged the Tip of a 1/4" wide CB Ariel at 229yds using the ConX handheld, and I have ranged Trees beyond 1500 yds and a 1mil Target 1688yrds. All the models you claim as being substandard have all proven them selves.

Well it's funny how you can't get the Sigs or the ConX to Range out past 850m/929.5yds yet all their owners can, I have ranged the Tip of a 1/4" wide CB Ariel at 229yds using the ConX handheld, and I have ranged Trees beyond 1500 yds and a 1mil Target 1688yrds. All the models you claim as being substandard have all proven them selves.

Read some other coments from owners and there are plenty that have seen dismal preformance and great variation from unit to unit. Good for you if your unit works as advertised .

But like i said tested a bunch of them at the same time and resoults were not too encuraging against practical sized metal targets , am making another test next friday about dozen LRFs ,with both Nikon offerings as well as some LRF Binos and usual Sigs and Leicas ,will see what gives ,but unlike you i now have done tests with many LRFs side by side mounted of tripod and in number of cases with multiple units of the same model LRF so lets just say i would consider that more objective than your experience with one unit.

Spare us your BS '' i know a secret handshake and press button that makes them work and you don't'' seriusly LOL

Last edited:
If you’re into hunting, it’s small and big games then you should have one. If you are into practicing LRS then you should get one. Better now than later

Read some other coments from owners and there are plenty that have seen dismal preformance and great variation from unit to unit. Good for you if your unit works as advertised .

But like i said tested a bunch of them at the same time and resoults were not too encuraging against practical sized metal targets , am making another test next friday about dozen LRFs ,with both Nikon offerings as well as some LRF Binos and usual Sigs and Leicas ,will see what gives ,but unlike you i now have done tests with many LRFs side by side mounted of tripod and in number of cases with multiple units of the same model LRF so lets just say i would consider that more objective than your experience with one unit.

Spare us your BS '' i know a secret handshake and press button that makes them work and you don't'' seriusly LOL
It's not about BS, I am just surprized that you had so many differing results from the most popular brands and models, I have used and tested quite a few LRF's and never come up against what you have experienced, Where people claiming and posting photos of their LRF's hitting things beyond 3200yds yet you say that many of them struggle beyond 900 to a 1000, Is quality control really that bad within the industry because if so then something needs to be done about it, I would expect 1 in every 1000 or less to not be as good as others but from what you say then we really have a problem.

I remember when the BR2 G7 came out and everyone was waxing lyrical about it because it could range out to 2600+/- and then the Sigs came out and the BR2 fell out of favour, Personally I think it is the best all rounder from it's rugged features and robustness and it's ranging abilities and use it's ranging power with a Kestrel or and an App and you have a great little system, Ranging out to 5k is always great fun and the bragging Rights around the campfire at night is a great sport in it's self, But in reality no one has a Rifle that can match those distancies let alone the skill to make the shot.

Working to that 3rd distance rule is totally BS, having ranged Animals at 2.5 X the quoted ranges and ranging things like dark stone walls at around 1500yds 10 times out of 10 and small domestic sheep at 881yds each and every time and a 1 Mil target at 1688yrds 9 times out of 10 in very bright sunlight with heavy mirage at mid Day with the Sun above my head/Back I find hard to believe that there are so many crappy Rangefinders out there, I have used mind in extremely thick Fog out to 230yds and while it was Snowing and it still worked 1K and also in heavy rain, You name it I have tried it All except for ranging using a Tripod, That I have yet to do so I expect it to work even better, Also I have never Ranged a Road Sign with one because they are Extremely Reflective where Car headlights can make them light up from over a mile away so I don't see the point in ranging Road Signs because nothing in the shooting world whether it is hunting, Target shooting or Tactical situations would a person need to range such a thing, Buildings Yes but not signs.

Peoples desire of wanting an LRF that can Range a 10" at a Mile is just crazy because most comp targets are graduated in size depending on what the range is, There are a Guy here who has scored 1st round hits @ 1041yds on 12" targets using the ConX, And another Guy ranging Coyotes in the Snow at 1416yds, So it is what it is I guess.

You have to spearate hype from the rest, influencers from genuine reviews, initialy there are bunch of great reviews , but check peoples real world experiencs , they are far of hype. Take 5 minutes to browse these reviews just in last couple of months , or maybe just on the newest Nikon 3000 and 4K that are very recent. Reality is such that these Chicom LRFs have considerable variations unit to unit Sig probably being one of the worst ones in that respect. Leica is practicaly only non chicom LRF and it shows ,its the most consistent so far.

Not looking to range 10'' at a mile but be consistent on practical sized rougly cca 2 moa ,cca 0.6mil metalic targets at least up to1200+y and it is in my opinion not too much of an ask. Not interesting at lasing buildings or rock faces don't care about any built in balistics or other feature . And like said have another test planed on 1st with at least dozen LRFs including both new Nikons and will se what gives if Nikon is any better good

You have to spearate hype from the rest, influencers from genuine reviews, initialy there are bunch of great reviews , but check peoples real world experiencs , they are far of hype. Take 5 minutes to browse these reviews just in last couple of months , or maybe just on the newest Nikon 3000 and 4K that are very recent. Reality is such that these Chicom LRFs have considerable variations unit to unit Sig probably being one of the worst ones in that respect. Leica is practicaly only non chicom LRF and it shows ,its the most consistent so far.

Not looking to range 10'' at a mile but be consistent on practical sized rougly cca 2 moa ,cca 0.6mil metalic targets at least up to1200+y and it is in my opinion not too much of an ask. Not interesting at lasing buildings or rock faces don't care about any built in balistics or other feature . And like said have another test planed on 1st with at least dozen LRFs including both new Nikons and will se what gives if Nikon is any better good
Yep, Seems like a bit of a Turkey shoot when it comes to these things, So far all mine have been right up there, but I have seen some Guys here struggle to say the least, These companies nee to smarten up and raise the Bar when it comes to QC,

I would still be happy with the new version of the BR2 G7.

Did a short test yesterday with bunch of LRF's ,budget to not so budget models ,most targets 2moa some much larger at up to 1200y. Conditions varied from overcast to bright summer day to slight rain, but mostly slight overcast so not too adverse to LRF preformance , most targets white metal plates some paper and some red metal (issue to most LRFs)

Best value for money on the test > Vortex Ranger 1300 did measure all targets till 1100y and 1200y tree was no issue ,ATN Laser Balistics 1500 could range all targets including 1100y 2moa metal target .Both units deliver what the promise . ATN reticle box is a tad large for the job .

Bigest flop of the day Nikon Monarch 3000 and Black 4K suck bad , both had issues past 1000y , while Monarch 3000 stabilisation feature is great , ranging preformance sucks ,4K measured all but only with repeated trys so no consistently . Promise vs delivery ratio is off the charts with these units. Maybe they meant 3000 and 4000ft with the model designations. Interestngly old Nikon 1200 preformed on level of Monarch 3000 ,Measured large 10x2ft cluster of paper targets at 1000y but couldn' measure small 2 moa 1000y targets.

Top preformers :Sig Kilo 2400AB ,Leica 2700
2 of 3 Sig Kilo 2200 (3rd .Kilo 2200 Couldn't make it past 1000y)
Tested also Zeiss Victory RF binos , no issues with range and great glass but man ranging takes like forever ,you press a button and then you wait for what seems like eternety . I wouldn't buy them even considerable discount as they were just too anoying to use.
Vortex Fury Bino - not too impresive . Rudolph RF bino has the best RF preformance of rf Binos tested

None could measure rock face under 2000y away.

Couldnt make it half way > Yukon Extend 1000 worked to cca 700y

All Rf tested both off hand and from tripod.

Last edited:
PLRF15c, easily ranged a large rock in front of a cell tower at 2600 meters. got an extremely consistent result in bright sunny daylight. Its for sale over in the optics section if anyone is interested.

Did a short test yesterday with bunch of LRF's ,budget to not so budget models ,most targets 2moa some much larger at up to 1200y. Conditions varied from overcast to bright summer day to slight rain, but mostly slight overcast so not too adverse to LRF preformance , most targets white metal plates some paper and some red metal (issue to most LRFs)

Best value for money on the test > Vortex Ranger 1300 did measure all targets till 1100y and 1200y tree was no issue ,ATN Laser Balistics 1500 could range all targets including 1100y 2moa metal target .Both units deliver what the promise . ATN reticle box is a tad large for the job .

Bigest flop of the day Nikon Monarch 3000 and Black 4K suck bad , both had issues past 1000y , while Monarch 3000 stabilisation feature is great , ranging preformance sucks ,4K measured all but only with repeated trys so no consistently . Promise vs delivery ratio is off the charts with these units. Maybe they meant 3000 and 4000ft with the model designations. Interestngly old Nikon 1200 preformed on level of Monarch 3000 ,Measured large 10x2ft cluster of paper targets at 1000y but couldn' measure small 2 moa 1000y targets.

Top preformers :Sig Kilo 2400AB ,Leica 2700
2 of 3 Sig Kilo 2200 (3rd .Kilo 2200 Couldn't make it past 1000y)
Tested also Zeiss Victory RF binos , no issues with range and great glass but man ranging takes like forever ,you press a button and then you wait for what seems like eternety . I wouldn't buy them even considerable discount as they were just too anoying to use.
Vortex Fury Bino - not too impresive . Rudolph RF bino has the best RF preformance of rf Binos tested

None could measure rock face under 2000y away.

Couldnt make it half way > Yukon Extend 1000 worked to cca 700y

All Rf tested both off hand and from tripod.
Well done BR, Man those LRFs really suck, what on earth has happened to QC with these companies, Soon It won't be safe to Buy any of them, Thanks for taking the time to give us a fair test, Good Job.

I am not disagreeing with what you experienced but I do want to add that what you experienced with the Nikon's is certainly not the norm as the review below cites different results. Not disputing your claims, just showing that others are getting better results. In the short time, I used the BLACK 4K and MONARCH 3000 Stabilized I thought both performed very well and would serve my shooting needs.

http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2018/06/nikon-black-rangex-4k-rangefinder/

I present i think most of these companies have nothing to do with development and manufacture of these optics , they just do the industrial design (how it should look and the same for the box) and spec out the features chicoms should integrate and that is about it . Having worked with such a chicom OEM manufacturer in the past , my experience is ,OEM supply the units at cca 1/3 of MSRP and QC just means anything that comes back is thrown in the bin and replaced with new item but that is also the way 'brands' like it. Anything more is internal QC on the side of Chicom OEM. Considerably ammount of faulty units is taken into calculation.

I am not disagreeing with what you experienced but I do want to add that what you experienced with the Nikon's is certainly not the norm as the review below cites different results. Not disputing your claims, just showing that others are getting better results. In the short time, I used the BLACK 4K and MONARCH 3000 Stabilized I thought both performed very well and would serve my shooting needs.

http://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2018/06/nikon-black-rangex-4k-rangefinder/

I think my problems come from me wanting to range 2moa steel targets not much larger stuff people do in many of these reviews, some of which are of course pure influencer PR and sould be taken with grain of salt.

Reactions: bman940
Cool BR, can't wait for you to get to grips with that one. Hurry Up I am waiting with baited breath, Lol.