• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Ranging at night

nexusfire

Secks fi millimeet
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Okay so I am new to all of this so bear with me. Is the only way to range at night with night vision equipment to use something like a Wilcox Raptor? A device with an ir laser that you can paint the target with that will give you the range at where you are aiming?

Thanks in advance

People have posted that you can see the beam from a regular lrf with your nods and some have a continuous on that makes it practical. I haven't got around to trying mine.

Reactions: shoobe01
Is it cheaper to go Raptar after all that?

Depends what you're after.

If you go RAPTAR, depending what model, you're at 3-4k+ just for that.

PROs - Mounted on weapon and you can be a 1 man show at night. Can also laser designate and illuminate, but these need to be full power or theyre basically useless.

CONs- Its weapon mounted (so unless you want to range everything through the optic, you need another LRF and that gets compounded at night with a spotter/2nd person in that, how would they see and be able to range when all you had was a gun mounted RAPTAR?)

Regardless, you'd still need a night vision clip on for your optic to even see what youre shooting at.

Something like a PLRF15 allows you to use it during the day or nighttime and is NOT weapon mounted but can be mounted on a spotting scope and slaved if wanted, or hand held. Then you can put the adapter on it to stick a PVS14 behind it and have a nighttime binocular with the ability to see through and range whatever you're looking at.

Depends what you're after.

If you go RAPTAR, depending what model, you're at 3-4k+ just for that.

PROs - Mounted on weapon and you can be a 1 man show at night. Can also laser designate and illuminate, but these need to be full power or theyre basically useless.

CONs- Its weapon mounted (so unless you want to range everything through the optic, you need another LRF and that gets compounded at night with a spotter/2nd person in that, how would they see and be able to range when all you had was a gun mounted RAPTAR?)

Regardless, you'd still need a night vision clip on for your optic to even see what youre shooting at.

Something like a PLRF15 allows you to use it during the day or nighttime and is NOT weapon mounted but can be mounted on a spotting scope and slaved if wanted, or hand held. Then you can put the adapter on it to stick a PVS14 behind it and have a nighttime binocular with the ability to see through and range whatever you're looking at.
Can you point me to vendor for the raptar?

Can you point me to vendor for the raptar?

I think that's semi tricky now.

If you want a full power, those are an extreme premium right now as they are no longer selling those to civilians.

For low power your best bet is honestly on the WTS/WTB section here.

I'm also 90% sure that the wavelength of the RAPTAR distance laser isn't seen through NV, so if you wanted to use it as a ghetto IR designator, that wont work.

I think that's semi tricky now.

If you want a full power, those are an extreme premium right now as they are no longer selling those to civilians.

For low power your best bet is honestly on the WTS/WTB section here.

I'm also 90% sure that the wavelength of the RAPTAR distance laser isn't seen through NV, so if you wanted to use it as a ghetto IR designator, that wont work.
Dumb question, what is the difference between the low.and high power? Are you referring to the illuminator? I'm new to all this.

Okay so I am new to all of this so bear with me. Is the only way to range at night with night vision equipment to use something like a Wilcox Raptor? A device with an ir laser that you can paint the target with that will give you the range at where you are aiming?

Thanks in advance

Dumb question, what is the difference between the low.and high power? Are you referring to the illuminator? I'm new to all this.
Low power is Class 1. Its referred to as 'eye safe'. Generally decent for pistol and carbine distances. The laser will be more useful while usually the illuminator will be complete dogshit. The Class is for both, so it will be both a Class 1 laser and illuminator.

Full power is Class 3. For distance, you'll need it as the laser will fade out at around 3-400 yards in low power. A Class 3 illuminator will also get out to 900 yards depending on light conditions to be able to 'see' better and make out objects from what looks like a blob of shadows otherwise.

Last edited:
People have posted that you can see the beam from a regular lrf with your nods and some have a continuous on that makes it practical. I haven't got around to trying mine.
Yes. Hadn't tried before but @wigwamitus had me try it with my handheld Leica and indeed, works. Took a minute but my repeatable process then was to press and hold to get the "constant on" mode (it blinks as it ranges once a second or so), line it up on one eye to read the range, with the NOD on the other eye down.

Start close-ish (when you really start in, start practically at your feet) then slowly walk it out to where you need to range. Pick something large like a treeline or embankment and use the scan mode to read the several ranges you get from the target and average it or use logic to make sure you have a reasonable one.

Even if you get a snazzy mounted unit, good skill to have in the pocket when you have to do it without a suitably equipped gun.

Also: NOT suitable outside targets and hunting. You can probably get away with careful LRF use against enemies when it's one laser shot, but constant on is gonna be a giveaway.

100_jpg-1796877.jpg

Yes. Hadn't tried before but @wigwamitus had me try it with my handheld Leica and indeed, works. Took a minute but my repeatable process then was to press and hold to get the "constant on" mode (it blinks as it ranges once a second or so), line it up on one eye to read the range, with the NOD on the other eye down.

Start close-ish (when you really start in, start practically at your feet) then slowly walk it out to where you need to range. Pick something large like a treeline or embankment and use the scan mode to read the several ranges you get from the target and average it or use logic to make sure you have a reasonable one.

Even if you get a snazzy mounted unit, good skill to have in the pocket when you have to do it without a suitably equipped gun.

Also: NOT suitable outside targets and hunting. You can probably get away with careful LRF use against enemies when it's one laser shot, but constant on is gonna be a giveaway.

Depends what wavelength its on.

Vectronix LRF's you cannot see the laser for obvious reasons.

I can on my SIG however.

I have a leica 2800.com but I lost the instruction book and haven't been able to figure out the constant on setting and haven't had the chance to find it online.

Wilcox raptar is the move..... very pricey but now that I've been running mine (full power) a while I see the value in it. Not only does it allow you to range at night but it's also an awesome daytime range finder..... I'm thinking of selling my sig bdx 3000 binos because the raptar can consistently range much further than they can and because the raptar is weapon mounted it's much steadier for ranging small targets.

I have a leica 2800.com but I lost the instruction book and haven't been able to figure out the constant on setting and haven't had the chance to find it online.
Instant range you tap the range button to turn it on, then line up the "circle" and tap the range button to get range there.

Constant-range you tap to turn the system on, then press-and-hold the range button. After a couple seconds it'll start the blink-and-range cycle, give you. a new range every 1/2 second. Old range will remain visible until new one updates.

Just let go to turn it off, then you can go to tap-to-activate mode again.

Also, manual can be gotten from here: https://en.leica-camera.com/Corposi...34&subcategory=154426&type=93705&language=all

That SHOULD be all ready to go with the search, just download the document, but if not PM me and I'll get it, download and share it with you directly.

Last edited:
Instant range you tap the range button to turn it on, then line up the "circle" and tap the range button to get range there.

Constant-range you tap to turn the system on, then press-and-hold the range button. After a couple seconds it'll start the blink-and-range cycle, give you. a new range every 1/2 second. Old range will remain visible until new one updates.

Just let go to turn it off, then you can go to tap-to-activate mode again.

Also, manual can be gotten from here: https://en.leica-camera.com/Corposi...34&subcategory=154426&type=93705&language=all

That SHOULD be all ready to go with the search, just download the document, but if not PM me and I'll get it, download and share it with you directly.

Thanks. Finally got a chance to try and this works great.

Reactions: shoobe01
I used my PLRF 10 for the first time the other night and WOW.
Coming from a terrapin/PLRF05 it is night and day.

I dont use the adapter, i just hold up to my NV binos and range away.

I played with my Armasight last night. Ranges nicely, the vis laser is nice for easy alignment. It seems to range accurately (I have a Sig Kilo that I used to compare ranges with). I wish that Armasight was still around and hadn't been bought out by FLIR.
20210526_195407.jpg

The thing i like about the Raptar over the armsight or sico is that the adjustments are internal.

Reactions: stefan73
I found it easy and quick to adjust. I wish I had a compatible Armasight thermal to tie together with this.

Reactions: stefan73